09 Jul Style Arc Andie & Shopping The Real Real
Thank you so much for the warm welcome back! I didn’t know if anyone was still here, and I am honored that you are 😘😘😘
Birdie has been visiting for the last week, so no sewing for me but it was a great time to introduce Birdie to fashion sewing!
I know many of you have taught your six-year old children and grandchildren to sew and I’m happy to finally get started.
Style Arc “Andie” was our pattern – an A-Line dress with flutter sleeves.
Birdie selected the embroidered pique from my surviving stash. There was ¾ yard of the 45” width fabric leaving us no wiggle room! For her first lesson, I taught Birdie how to cut the pattern and pin the pieces to the fabric.
Once the dress was finished we went Unicorn shopping at Target.
Seeing Target through the eyes of a child is a delightful experience, and far more fun than my run of the mill trips 😊
On to The Real Real !
This wonderful website, an upscale online consignment shop, became my go to shopping source during the last 18 months. You could say I’m hooked. I even receive Real Real Gift Certificates for presents these days.
I like this website for so many reasons……….
- I’ve found incredible bargains,
- The website offers clothing from almost every designer providing an opportunity to examine the clothes and silhouettes of each designer’s style.
- Each item is displayed on mannequins in front, side and back views
- Recycling clothes is a sustainable practice, and when I finally make a purchase, it is from an upscale RTW or luxury designer or whose clothing I would most likely forgo.
My Real Real experience began when a Marie Oliver dress exactly like my daughter’s appeared in a pop up ad for less than 1/4 of the original price. The website offered a 60% off code and I paid $70 for the dress. It was one season old and arrived with tags. Sorry to talk money but I can’t escape it in this post.
In the pic below I’m wearing an Eliza Christoph dress I bought for $137.00.. Check the dress out on the Eliza Christoph website.
Yes, it is a current season $695 dress for $137.00 and it arrived in pristine condition.
.Several friends tell me the site is too overwhelming and hard to navigate, but after finding a system that worked for me, I rarely spend over 15 minutes a day browsing the site.
How To Shop The Real Real without going down the Rabbit Hole!
- Visit the website and create an account. (It’s free.)
- On the left side of the page, check the sizes you often wear, and save the information.
- In the search bar, type in the brand or type of garment you’re interested in….( Two of my favorites – Brochu Walker & Samantha Sung) ……….. You’ll be given the option to sort by price or most recent)
- Don’t know what brand to search for? Visit a good inspiration site such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, or Tuckernuck. Make note of the brand of whatever strikes your fancy and search for it on TRR. The search should bring up only your size. If not make sure your saved your sizes.
- Click on the heart of anything you’re interested in.
- Save your search!
- The next time you go to The Real Real click (on the upper right side of the page) on MY REAL REAL and your saved searches will appear OR click on the heart and your liked garments will appear.
I have a roster of saved searches that I browse when I visit the site to check for new additions.
Don’t wait too long to buy a garment you love because clothes in season move very, very quickly. The Real Real offers discount codes and specials regularly, and I’ve rarely paid the initial asking price unless it was too good to pass up.
Most clothes are returnable but not all so be sure and check before buying.
(BROCHU WALKER HAVANA DRESS)
I am not an “Early Access” member for an additional fee, and I’ve yet to consign any clothing although I noticed sellers receive up to 85% of the item’s sale price.
It’s rare for me to be this gung-ho over a n y t h I n g, but The Real Real offers what I need for an enjoyable shopping experience, and I hope you too will have success!
Enjoy your day!
Next Up: VOGUE 8833