29 Sep Silk Tunic #2
Hubs and I were among the passengers of some 2,000 cancelled flights to Chicago this past weekend………. The only upside of missing our friends’ wedding was the unexpected weekend of sewing time, and I resumed my tunic mission.
Many thanks for providing such great suggestions for raising the bar on tunic sewing. I especially enjoyed receiving this Pinterest link loaded with tunic inspiration! Like many of you said it’s in the details and I got busy modifying the Simplicity 4149 tunic pattern I made last year.
Instructions for contrast are not provided in the pattern, but a contrast is easy to achieve by reversing the application of the placket and neckband to the inside of the garment and folding them over to the outside.
French seams were used everywhere except in the sleeve inset.
I added two inches to the length of the tunic which includes the contrast band.
I also lengthened the sleeve.
After experimenting with various widths I found an appealing uniformity in keeping the placket, sleeve and lower band equal widths.
As I enter the 9th month of the year-long Ready-to-Wear Fast, I plan to focus on what I intended to do in the first place – sew stylish e v e r y d a y clothing. My closet is suffering in this area as I became sidetracked sewing several special occasion garments.
A couple of more tunics are in order for sure 🙂