Butterick 5889

I just returned from the new Kate Spade outlet store located 20 minutes from my house, and all I found was this necklace featuring a bitten-off popsicle. The store carried zero shoes and the handbags were designed for the outlet store.

www.goodbyevalentino.com Butterick 5889

Maybe you’re wondering if I am wearing anything besides turquoise, aqua and white this summer. In the past I have been consumed by orange, but this year I’m drawn to anything resembling serenity ;)

www.goodbyevalentino.com Butterick 5889Inspired by a friend’s RTW top made from a similar fabric, I recently ordered this lovely Tilda French Viscose  knit from the Marcy Tilton website, an online store loaded with beautiful high quality fabrics.

Buttery hand, liquid drape, 4 way stretch, light/mid weight with minimal rolling at the cut edge so it will be a pleasure to sew and wear.’

TILDA

The dreamy description led me to place my first order without a sample, and fortunately the portrayal was spot on. I consider the fabric light-weight leading me to sew a less structured and loose-fitting top.

My pattern is Butterick 5889

B5889 B5889

The split sleeve caught my eye and what began as a long tunic/dress is now my final blue/turquoise/aqua garment for the summer.

www.goodbyevalentino.com Butterick 5889

Upon seeing my top Hubby commented that the garment looked easy. It was, I replied, but I’ve seen lots of 30-minute garments that cost $500.

This pattern is fabulous for anyone seeking to perfect the narrow hem technique. The sleeve hems, sleeve splits and bottom hem are all finished with a narrow hem totaling nine opportunities to get it right.

www.goodbyevalentino.com Butterick 5889 After tacking the shoulders and sleeves together the neck facing is attached and a top is born!

His next comment was that he preferred it belted,

www.goodbyevalentino.com Butterick 5889and I get that, but this time around I’m loving the freedom of movement found in this delightful fabric.

What do you think?

www.goodbyevalentino.com Butterick 5889

IMG_0123 I think I’m ready to mix it up a bit and move on – I’ve loved my turquoise and aqua phase but other colors and styles eagerly await!

Until soon :)

www.goodbyevalentino.com Butterick 5889

This entry was posted in Butterick Patterns, Sewing Summer Clothes, Sewing Tops, sewing with knits and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

120 Responses to Butterick 5889

1. Nancy says:

I like it belted or not – either way it looks very comfortable and fresh.

2. Jan says:

Definitely best with your turquoise necklace! That highlights the best and “lifts” the eye. Thanks for sharing!

3. You look great in this color, I can see why you are drawn to it. I am loving the split sleeves, too! Great for summer, cool but still some coverage. (Sneak peak: I have a split sleeve dress in my book) :) Now I’m off to dig through my stash to find the perfect t-shirt to do this to. Thanks for the inspiration, Sarah!

4. oonaballoona says:

you look cool as an aqua cucumber, and oh so lovely. i like the popsicle, naturally!

5. ewellons says:

Another fantastic summer top. I like it both ways — but love the unbelted, floaty look best! And the turquoise necklace is perfect with it. It’s no wonder you’re drawn to aqua — it is your color. And if anyone needs some serenity — it’s you, Sarah!

6. Linda T says:

I like no belt best. Very pretty!

7. Nana says:

I think the aqua and the yellow that you made the maxi dress are definitely your summer colors. I like the shorter necklace. With the long red, it made the top look long and baggy. The aqua necklace changes the focal point and the top then looks best without the belt and gives that free moving comfortable look for summer.

8. LinB says:

Nice that your dear husband has an opinion about what you wear! I can see why he likes it belted — you have a sweet figure. I agree with you that summer in the South demands clothes that float away from the body. Air flow is no little thing to achieve when the doldrums arrive.

9. What a cute top – reminds me of the one Kristi made that she’s loved wearing so much! Love, love, love the fabric – it looks like it feels divine! I’m with you on the ‘comfy’…it looks terrific unbelted; add the belt when you want a little change.

Can’t wait to see your next project!

10. Carmen Isaacs says:

Love the top belted and or not, aqua really suits you. Did you make your pants and if so what pattern did you use, they look great.

11. sewgrandma says:

Love your outfit. Ordering Butterick 5889. I have some teal knit jersey left over from a tee I made last month. I love wearing it with sand color capris (RTW from 2012). I must make white capris…have the fabric in my stash but still perfecting fit for my new size. BTW when shopping I saw a gent with teal colored golf shirt & sand color shorts. Teal looked great on him too. Then later that same day there was a 3ftx4ft painting 50%sale. There was a 2ft teal vase on the one side of it. Being that it was at a small shop I was afraid to check out the price for fear I would be buying it. I’d rather wear teal on my bod! Thanks for the inspiration.

12. Jenny says:

I love this top! It’s so pretty. I like it both ways but I like with the belt best.

13. lisa g says:

this looks like a great breezy top! i love the split sleeve, such a nice detail!

Really cute summer top that looks very high end. I think I like it best unbelted but it’s great either way!

15. tavkat@netscape.net says:

My opinion – unbelted with the turquoise necklace. Turquoise is a very flattering color on most everyone and it looks great on you.

16. Sharon Elle says:

The top looks beautiful, the fabric drapes so nicely and the colour is perfect! Nice job!

17. Deborah R Penner says:

Love this belted. Shows off your slim waist.

18. SunGold says:

Not belted – the belt draws the eye away from the delicious peek-a-boo sleeve.

Aqua is so nice on you! I can see why you’ve been into it! I prefer it unbelted, although my husband would surely be pro-belt, too (he makes that comment about alllll my outfits). I agree with SunGold- the belt takes away from the sleeve detail. But it’s nice to have the option to go either way with it!

20. Tia Dia says:

You certainly look serene! I love turquoise/white as a summery colour combo. It’s refreshing and reminds me of water. And I prefer it without the belt. It’s more relaxed and has a more easy-wearing vibe that when it’s belted.

21. zibergirl says:

Perfect for summer! Great color and the loose but stylish top looks so nice on you. I prefer the shorter necklace also. A Kate Spade outlet right next to your house? I’ve been googling some of her dresses, for inspiration. Even at half the price, they would be out of my price range, but fun to look at.

22. SusanB says:

Beautiful top & you look lovely in it! The split sleeves are great. Southern summers are too hot for belted tops. You have inspired me to try this pattern which has been in my stash since last year. How was the sizing?

23. Mrs. H says:

The aqua is pretty. I understand about branching out into other colors, though, as I tend to gravitate to blue. I think the Butterick 5889 looks ok belted, but is best unbelted.

Thanks for the March Tilton website link. I have bookmarked it for future use.

24. Gloria says:

I like it unbelted best. Love how your top turned out! Inspires me to do likewise.

25. Monica says:

I love the turquoise and white on you too and agree with Nana above that the yellow maxi was a great look for you. Now, a question. What is that lipstick that you wear that seems to go with everything in your wardrobe? Your colors are my colors and I want it!

• Ah…… I’m using a new shade since my favorite Elizabeth Arden (Georgia Peach) was discontinued. It is Clinique Runway Coral and it does seem to go with most everything :) Many thanks for the comment, Monica!

This is such a pretty top and I love Marcy’s fabrics too!

27. Kathy Z says:

I just bought one other Butterick top pattern with split sleeves. May have to go back and get this one! I hate sleeveless tops due to “grandma” underarms but like my shoulders. Why didn’t I ever think of this solution! Thanks for the inspiration!!

28. Roberta says:

Love the color on you and love the style both ways, belted and unbelted. Great summer look!

29. Fiona M says:

Lovely top, and I like it either style!

30. Amanda S. says:

I like it either way but think the unbelted style looks more easy-breezy and summery. LOVE the popsicle necklace and think it pairs perfectly with the top. Oh and the top itself is super cute. I just culled through my pattern collection, getting rid of most tops that are too fitted through the torso. That is just not what I want to be wearing, even if I weren’t pregnant.

• Hi Amanda! I do like the pop of color in the necklace and will wear the top with both pieces of jewelry, but I’m enjoying the top without the belt. You’ll be back in torso fitting blouses in no time :)

31. Ann says:

I most definitely prefer your beautiful blouse unbelted.

32. seweverythingblog says:

The aqua stripey fabric and the yellow striped maxi are your colors this summer, I must say.
    Echoing the commenter above, Southern summers are no times to wear anything belted. Congrats for having your beautiful summer wardrobe figured out!

Sarah, this is a great top and looks so very perfect for Summer too! I love the color of the fabric, perfect compliment to your complexion! Great job and definitely under $500 I’m sure!

34. Vanessa says:

I think the top unbelted is beautiful!! I like that it has more movement and flow!

35. Cindy C. says:

Belt it or not, follow your whim of the moment and please yourself. And what’s with this “final blue/turquoise/aqua garment for the summer”? Are you afraid you have too much blue? Not possible — it looks absolutely grand on you. Make and wear all the blue you want; that’s the whole point of sewing for yourself! We all celebrate and support obsession with pretty colors!

• LOL! When I cleaned my closed last week I could not believe how many turquoise and aqua clothes I own :) It’s definitely time to branch out, Cindy! Many thanks for the comment.

36. You look great in turquoise! This pattern is a great idea for lightweight knits.

37. Sheree says:

I think most men would say “belted”. Shows off the figure more! For me, unbelted is best and the turquoise necklace is a good finishing touch.

38. Almeda says:

Either way, this top is certainly a “hole-in-one”. Super cool top :) Enjoy!

39. AJW says:

Another winner, Sarah! Gorgeous, as usual.

We are dealing with a very humid summer week and the mere though of belting anything is giving me the willies, but it’s such a beautiful top that it could go either way.

40. Amanda says:

I think it looks great both ways, you have a great waist to show off either way!

41. Maddie says:

I’m with your hubby, I like it belted. Whether you chose for or against, great top!

42. Maureen Clayton. says:

Perfect little piece. I’m going with unbelted.

43. Alice Elliot says:

I like it loose and breezy. But I can understand why your hubby likes it belted. <:~)

44. Kate says:

Saw you in Vogue Patterns Magazine. Well done. Looking great!

45. Julie Starr says:

What a cute pattern, Sarah! I’ve never noticed it before and the cut outs are great for showing off your great shoulders and summer tan. I, too, just can’t get enough aqua and blue this summer!

46. Katalin says:

Love your new top! I can’t decide whether belted or unbelted, both versions look nice!

47. Jean says:

Aqua and white are the perfect summer combination. Love your new top, especially the split shoulder feature.

48. Becky Bagwell says:

I hope you have a scrapbook with all these pictures in it. You you fab as usual!

49. Sara, love it! Mind if we post on our social media? Email me at Facebook@butterick.com. Thanks!

50. Lindsay says:

I want to make this! I love it! I also love your overall styling with the white and gold – perfect. :)

51. Eileen says:

Sarah, What a cute top! I love it without the belt. Wouldn’t this pattern make a cute swimsuit
    coverup? I’m off to the store to pick this pattern up. Do you have any tips for making the rolled hems? What sewing machine did you use? Did you use your serger on this top at all….guessing
    you did. You are an inspiration to many of us who are venturing back into the world of sewing.

• Thank you so much, Eileen! This pattern features a narrow hem vs. the rolled hem. I followed the narrow hem tutorial on A Challenging Sew. ….. and you’re right, this pattern would make a great swimsuit coverup! Good luck!

52. Sewellen says:

Lovely as always!!

53. Joen says:

Looks great! I’m a fan of navy and white for the summer too.

54. Margaret says:

Love the new top — so summery and pretty in aqua, one of my favorite colors. I agree with Eileen – it would make a great swimsuit coverup as well. And you used a knit instead of the woven they suggest on the pattern envelope, which is super. I agree with those who say unbelted.

55. Mary H says:

I love this top pattern. You are so inspiring. I am getting such great info from your blog Thank you!

56. Julie says:

This outfit looks so lovely on you! Aqua and white are certainly your colours. I love view B. Is it possible to sew the sleeve seams up without any major pattern alterations? I prefer to keep my arms covered up these days :-/

57. lizafrica says:

LOVE it, Sarah. And the colours are so cool & summery. We are currently almost “melting” in Vancouver (very hot for us anyway) so I am looking lovingly at this top thinking it would be just the thing for hot summer days. Love your blog!
    Liztafrica

58. kenniswong says:

It looks so summery in you. I love the pop of color from your new necklace. Did you do the narrow hems using some special foot, or are you just doing the folding and stitch carefully?

59. Ebi Poweigha says:

Another great look — good job!

60. Kathy Z says:

P.s. I did get this pattern and cut it out today. I usually take an XL-XXL pattern but need to use the smallest cutting lines for this. It’s huge!!! Did you alter your side seams at all to make it fit so nicely? I’d like your input on the fit..

• Kathy,
      I cut out a small and made little if any alterations other than in the length. I knew my fabric would drape beautifully and didn’t worry about the oversized fitting on this one. Can’t wait to see yours!

61. Jeannie says:

Where are you? It just occurred to me that “Goodbye Valentino” has been mighty quiet. Maybe you are just enjoying this unusually cool summer for the East Coast. Or madly sewing on wedding stuff?