Playclothes!

Just as hubby started taking pictures in the backyard the snake appeared scaring us to the front where the light wasn’t as good. Ugh – it’s the one drawback about summer in the South….

…but there is nothing better than frolicking through the warm summer breezes in lightweight clothes that greet the heat with a smile.

Those cute boutique gauze tops I saw last week might have been tempting had the Marc Jacobs white cotton gauze from Mood Fabrics not been on its way to my door.

Sewing with gauze moved me straight into a peace, love and happiness state of mind – almost.

The open weave of the fabric first reminded me of the sterile material used for dressing wounds, but one quick trip through the washing machine transformed the mummy like material into a softly crinkled cotton sporting a billowy drape.

My pattern is McCall’s 6928 and this is my official ‘just for fun’ summer top.

Sewing twists, turns and knots can easily lead me astray but not so this time. The bow and knot are easy to assemble. Several layers come together where the knot, the bow and the front of the blouse are sewn into the neck facing, but sewing with lightweight fabric prevents bulk from accumulating at the focal point of the top.

IMG_0057The pattern runs large and is quite full, leading me to reduce the armscye and remove several inches from the sweep. However, it was  easy to get it just the way I wanted it.

The bow is tacked to the front of the blouse which is another reason a lightweight fabric should be used for this pattern. All seams were stitched and finished with the serger. The bias strip facings were turned and slipstitched, and the top was hemmed with a narrow machine hem.

M6928There is serious sewing and there is fun sewing, and I can’t bear the thought of so much fun coming to an end ……..

… so now perhaps,  just for fun I will return to the backyard and charm the snake off of the patio and into the woods :)

Have a good one!

This entry was posted in McCall's Sewing Pattern, Mood Fabrics, Mood Sewing Network, Online Fabric Orders, Sewing Tops, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Playclothes!

1. Sandy says:

Very Cute! You version of this blouse looks so much better than the one shown on the pattern. I’ll have to give this one a try.

2. Very nice! I just saw another blog somewhere where the writer was trying to find such a pattern with a bow and had to create a bow herself. To bad she didn’t find your blog first! Nice summery material too!

• Hi Linda! I never noticed this pattern online. It wasn’t until I was forced to sit down in a store and look through the pattern book that it caught my eye :) Thanks for your comment!

3. Dilliander says:

Yes, very nice!

4. Linda Richards says:

What an adorable top, looks great on you, too. Have fun wearing it!

So cute Sarah! This tops is exactly as you desribed it, “so fun”! I think the white was a perfect choice for this top too! Now you can wear it with any color.

6. zibergirl says:

Ahh, love that bow in the front!

7. Jean says:

This is such a cute summery top…perfect for fun. Love your fabric choice too.

8. Julie Starr says:

That snake doesn’t stand a chance against the charm of you in this adorable top! Thanks for featuring it, Sarah. I just love the cool, breezy look.

9. Vivan Katz says:

Ahhhhh, your top is too cute and it looks like it would be very comfortable in 90% humidity! Have fun playing.

10. Diane Pagnucco says:

I have this pattern and keep looking at it but wondered if the bow was too much. I love it and the bow adds the extra layer so you don’t have to wear a camisole underneath. That just defeats the idea of cool summer clothing if you ask me. I think I have some gauze that I will pull out and try this. Thanks. It is great.

• Diane – I struggled with the same issue but thought the pattern had good potential. It’s true that the bow adds a second layer so sewing with even tissue weight fabric should work nicely. I think the secret to success on this top is to make sure the fabric is lightweight so the bow drapes nicely. Good luck!

11. Laura Casey says:

Oh what a cute top! And the gauze fabric is perfect for pattern and Southern Summers! I love gauze but hate the see-through….this pattern is a perfect match-the orange jeans make it a perfect summertime wear!
    Good Job……Laura….

12. Susan Madden says:

Another lovely project! I always look forward to your blog posts, Sarah. You have inspired, informed and improved my sewing this year. Thanks for all you do!

13. Cindy C. says:

I recently learned a perfect term for this: “Adorbs!”

14. cjgal says:

Adorable! Looks breezy and comfy- perfect for the summer heat!

15. Judy Smith says:

That is SO cute! Love it!

16. lisa g says:

that bow!! love it on you! that fabric looks super dreamy :)

17. smittenness says:

So much fun! Looks smashing on you too

18. Cynthia says:

Adorable & perfect for the sweltering Southern heat. It looks great on you!

19. Jude says:

What a lovely summer top, looks cool and fresh, love it.

20. Nana says:

Very cute summer fun top. A pattern that would have never caught my eye in the book….but looks so great on you, makes me want to give it a try. Great job again.

• Thank you so much, Nana! I missed it online and only noticed it when I was forced to sit and look through a pattern book, something I rarely do these days but perhaps should do more of :)

A perfect summery top, light and stylish.

22. I’ve been following you for a while now and I dont think there is one thing you’ve made that I dont love! Thank you for the inspiration.

• Thank you so much for this lovely comment, Andrea! I’m very flattered by your kind words. I think most garments can turn out nicely if serious thought is given to the project beforehand ;)

23. Michele Owens says:

After many years of not sewing and even then it was non-fitted items for my daughter I have decided it is time I learned to sew clothes that fit for myself. you have inspired me to keep trying even though it is very frustrating. Thank you

• Laura Casey says:

Michele-You can do this! Patterns are much easier then when we learned to sew in school….very few darts, hems are machine sewn today, clothes are more casual…..just find a dedicated place at home to set up your “sewing studio” and then try to sew everyday…..start with a beach bag if must….then try an EASY SEW pattern….in no time you’ll have the confidence you need… Good luck, LAURA.

• Oh wow – I truly love receiving comments from someone who has decided to start sewing clothes, whether it’s a return to sewing or a true beginner! I found the easiest way to begin is by sewing a simple skirt in a style you know you will wear. The Craftsy class – Sewing Studio by Diana Rupp gives excellent instruction on fitting a customized pencil skirt ( you can use your own pattern). Good luck and many thanks for your comment, Michele :)

24. Jan says:

Love your white summer gauze top and was especially thrilled to see you wearing all the clothes you made recently! It is always a warm fuzzy when you are in my inbox, even tho’ I don’t always leave a comment. I love sewing, especially garments, but have never done a muslin first. I think I might like to try that through your inspiration and experience! Thanks!

25. Sandra says:

This looks lovely. I have this pattern cut out in a pink silk and waiting to be put together; it’s
    great to see your post and how pretty this top looks on you.

26. sewruth says:

You’re funny! Play clothes??
    What kind of playing do you do in this perfect top? No, don’t tell me…. although I fancy seeing Sandra’s version in silk…..
    You epitomise summer.

27. Sharon Elle says:

Love this top! Love how it hangs and the oversized bow is great!

28. Sarah Liz says:

No wonder that snake came out to have a look – the top is so pretty.

I’ve been meaning to pop over and say hello for a while, and to tell you not to stress too much about weight with your MOB dress – you can always adjust at the zip the week before. Just relax and enjoy the process as best you can.

You have a great eye for matching just the right fabric to your patterns. Although I have sewn for many years, great fitting pants still elude me. I notice you wear pants quite often in your photos Do you have a go-to pant pattern that you can recommend that works for your shape with minimal fitting?
    Please keep your beautiful creations coming. You have inspired me to get back into my sewing room.

• Thank you so much, Karen! I’ve made very few pants since I returned to sewing, but I’ve had great success with Style Arc patterns. I really want to try a pair of jeans after my daughter’s wedding in August. :)

30. sbzurenda says:

A very cute top, indeed!

31. linda r (phila burbs) says:

that is absolutely adorable – but I must admit i’m having a hard time with the whole “snake on the patio” thing! who knew modeling these gorgeous creations was so dangerous!

32. Vernelle says:

This top is absolutely ADORABLE! And the fabric choice couldn’t be better. Gauze is perfect for hot summer days and you can dress it up or down depending upon your mood and the occasion. I can also see this in a lightweight cotton knit. Great job.

33. Ebi Poweigha says:

Great pattern! I totally missed this one, but I’m getting it now — thanks to your lovely creation.

34. Jsews says:

your top does look fun! I was just in the store the other day and tried on a top that was similar. It had the bow in the back and was so cute! I may try to recreate it after seeing yours.

35. Adorable and perfect for summer! This looks like the perfect combination between cozy and playful!