Simplicity 1613

I’ve been  rather shell-shocked since completing the 30 Day Dress, and knew the only way back to the sewing machine was through an instant gratification project.

This pink and fuchsia cotton jersey from Mood Fabrics was one of those fabrics I ordered just because…….

and it turned out to be my saving grace. Buy a fabric you love and the pattern will appear ;)

I couldn’t think beyond the word  e a s y  and selected Simplicity 1613, View D – a great remedy for the jaded sewer!

1613_xl

View D requires crosswise stretch only so most any knit will work, but this cotton feels quite wonderful against my skin.

I discovered the pattern runs slightly large – ok for now since my top is very casual, but I plan to cut a smaller size next time. IMG_5580

And there will be a next time – maybe in a linen jersey (very Eileen Fisher) or a metallic jersey which is popping up everywhere.

But now it’s time to head back to more involved projects, and I’m super excited about my next one in DVF Lace.

304031Until soon!

This entry was posted in cotton jersey, Mood Fabrics, sewing blogs, Sewing Tops, sewing with knits, Simplicity Patterns, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Simplicity 1613

1. Summerflies says:

Cute top does look a smidge big (after you mention it). Can’t wait to see what you do with the lace. It is really gorgeous!

2. That is such a cute top; I love that color on you.

3. Deborah R Penner says:

Glad you have returned to posting and sewing. This is a lovely fabric and the color suits well. Have my eye on a similar fabric at Mood in a turquoise and gray stripe. This pattern provided inspiration.

4. Lauren says:

Good idea! Something fun after the ordeal of “the dress”. It looks great and fun to wear. I think you would look good in view E too for very hot weather & beach wear. It is a great pattern. I would make Views A & B for my figure and more modest needs. The lace is making me nervous already….looking forward to seeing what happens next!

5. After your 30 day dress you deserve easy! It’s funny, when I opened this post to read I didn’t see the first paragraph right away and just saw the picture of you sitting on the large urn. My first thought was, “Oh, she deserves an easy project.” And this looks so fun to wear!

6. Tee says:

Wow, I pulled this pattern out to work on last week! Great minds think alike!

I really love this top on you! I see what you mean about running a little large, but it still looks great on you. I have this pattern and I haven’t made it yet, but I think I will now! Thanks for the review!

8. You always look lovely in your sewn choices, and if its feeling a little big, that’s OK for one of those easy peasy non structured days!

9. A great remedy after all that hard work! The pink is so fun – looks wonderfully comfy!

That DVF lace looks really exciting – can’t wait to see what it becomes :)

10. Wonderful decision, totally therapeutic, and so beautiful on you! You’re such a trooper!

11. Almeda says:

You say ‘easy’ but it is also ‘stylish and classy’. A perfect top for those exciting summer days in your near future. :)

12. Linda (phila burbs) says:

Cute cute cute!!! (It’s nice to know that someone as good as a sewer as you are can get frustrated at times too.). Can’t wait to see what you do with that gorgeous lace!

13. Keys Maddox says:

Good look!

Sent from my iPad

14. sewdooley says:

Cute and quick, one of the many rewards of sewing. Love the lace.

15. Maddie says:

That lace looks divine!

16. Maggie Edger says:

Great top and Congratulations on your article in Vogue. I just found the magazine recently. A Maggie

17. Barbara says:

The colour looks great on you. I can totally understand wanting an easy make, it’s a good way to get back to more complex projects.

18. Joyce Love says:

I second the comments – can’t wait to see the lace! That orange lace dress you made is still one of my favorites!

19. maryfunt says:

Great easy project after the challenge of the 30 day dress. You are right that it could be a bit tighter but still looks great.

20. Cindy C. says:

Beautiful! That color combination is so flattering for your complexion and really pops your face. Also, the lines of this pattern are so visually interesting and look great on you. You’re inspiring me to move away from my comfort zone.

Gorgeous top and love the colour and style. So glad to see you again!

22. Ebi Poweigha says:

Yes! Easy sewing is a good way to take a breath & stay productive. Perfect choice of pattern and fabric, they both look super easy to wear, fun, and happy — perfect for warm weather.

23. Jean says:

Pretty springtime top. Nothing like an instant gratification project after a difficult one. I’m sure whatever you do with that lace it’s going to be good.

24. Ji says:

What a wonderful top! Very cheerful.

25. Great top, love the pink stripes! And I like how you closed this with a teasing parting shot of that fabulous lace! :)

26. Vanessa says:

This is cute! I don’t remember ever seeing this pattern for some reason.

27. joen says:

Love you fabric! I have this pattern so it’s good to know it runs a bit large.

28. I can see where this particular top is a little large on you, but the workmanship is great nonetheless. I think your decision to cut it smaller the next time you make it is the perfect solution. I love patterns with multiple options. Makes you really feel like you’re getting your money’s worth. Which other views will you be making for this summer?

29. Marguerite says:

This reminds me of when my two book clubs pick long historical novels that are a labor to get through and as soon as I finish, I grab a well worn Sue Grafton and reread it for the 3rd time just to clear my head! And to reassure myself that reading can be fun! I really like this top. It’s great in the stripe and is flattering on you. I have some stashed cotton knits that were going to be plain tees, but this pattern is changing my mind!

30. Annette Goswell says:

Just seen your article in my issue of Vogue Sewing. What a great idea – I really want to have a go at only making clothes for the next year – I don’t have a blog so can’t do the RTW follow thing but am off to the fabric shop at lunchtime – Nothing exciting but the next item I need for a forthcoming hen weekend is some PJs as I don’t own any so start as I mean to go on!

• That’s the only way,Annette – just do it! It’s exactly how I started and the results are well worth the sacrifice :) Many thanks for taking the time to write and good luck!