Generally, I envision my finished garment before beginning the project, but not so this time. Sewing is not usually like a box of chocolates, but……. I thought I was making a tiered t-shirt dress ……… to wear with flip-flops and Jack Rogers!
Thank you, Mood for a great dress to wear just about anywhere except to the grocery store :)
Determined to familiarize myself with all knit fabrics, I ordered a navy cotton jersey after buying the Sewing With Knits course from Craftsy. (Here is a link to cotton jerseys and here is a link to a navy poly knit with ample crosswise stretch :) )I was going to make a hoodie as part of the course… One might say I became sidetracked.
Vogue 8904 was one of my favorite 2013 sewing patterns, and I intended to make it again. Sewing my first version with a lightweight cotton jersey featuring extreme stretch from Mood resulted in a casual and easy-fitting summertime dress.
The solid blue jersey offered much less stretch, which I didn’t take into consideration.
Thankfully, it all worked out but what a close call! Yes, I can breathe.
Following are a few of the construction details which deviated from the pattern instructions:
- Originally I planned to make a long-sleeved dress (View A)
- The dress is a double layer of fabric, which includes the base of the dress layered with the shingles. Once I pinned on the sleeves, it became very heavy and too hot to wear for our moderate Spring weather. Therefore, I altered the long sleeves into capped sleeves borrowing a sleeve from another pattern.
- After discovering what a tight fit I was facing , I sewed the smallest seam allowances possible and finished the seams with the serger.
- I secured the neckline facing with a topstitch using a double needle rather than a single stitching line as instructed.
- I followed Vogue’s instructions leaving all of the edges unfinished which I did not do the first time.
Fortunately, I like surprises even when they make me a little nervous……. but enough surprises with my beloved Mood fabrics! Time to finish that Craftsy course.
Until soon :)