Vogue 8904 (No. 2)

Recognize this pattern?  I barely do myself, but it’s Vogue 8904 sewn in a solid color.

IMG_4521Generally, I envision my finished garment before beginning the project, but not so this time. Sewing is not usually like a box of chocolates, but……. I thought I was making a tiered t-shirt dress ……… to wear with flip-flops and Jack Rogers!

IMG_4785 Thank you, Mood for a great dress to wear just about anywhere except to the grocery store :)

Determined to familiarize myself with all knit fabrics, I ordered a navy cotton jersey after buying the Sewing With Knits  course from Craftsy.  (Here is a link to cotton jerseys and here is a link to a navy poly knit with ample crosswise stretch :) )I was going to make a hoodie as part of the course…  One might say I became sidetracked.

Vogue 8904 was one of my favorite 2013 sewing patterns, and I intended to make it again. Sewing my first version with a lightweight cotton jersey featuring extreme stretch from Mood resulted in a casual and easy-fitting summertime dress.

The solid blue jersey offered much less stretch, which I didn’t take into consideration.

Hello……

Thankfully, it all worked out but what a close call! Yes, I can breathe.

Following are a few of the construction details which deviated from the pattern instructions:

• Originally I planned to make a long-sleeved dress (View A)

• The dress is a double layer of fabric, which includes the base of the dress layered with the shingles. Once I pinned on the sleeves, it became very heavy and too hot to wear for our moderate Spring weather. Therefore, I altered the long sleeves into capped sleeves borrowing a sleeve from another pattern.

• After discovering what a tight fit I was facing , I sewed the smallest seam allowances possible and finished the seams with the serger.
  • I secured the neckline facing with a topstitch using a double needle rather than a single stitching line as instructed.
  • I followed Vogue’s instructions leaving all of the edges unfinished which I did not do the first time.

Fortunately, I like surprises even when they make me a little nervous……. but enough surprises with my beloved Mood fabrics! Time to finish that Craftsy course.

Until soon :)

Craftsy

Disclosure:  After many successful experiences with Craftsy.com  I became a Craftsy affiliate and receive compensation when you purchase classes or join Craftsy. With the exception of Sew the Perfect Fit, I have purchased all Craftsy classes and provide an honest class review and opinion. The compensation received will never influence the content of this blog.
This entry was posted in Craftsy, Mood Fabrics, Mood Sewing Network Lace Challenge, serger, Sewing Dresses, sewing with knits, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Vogue 8904 (No. 2)

1. Lovely! I like this pattern much more in solid colours.

2. Sarah. Jo says:

That is a great looking dress! I think the fit is great. I plan to make one with Marcy Tilton’s Parisian micro fibers…if I ever sew through this stack of projects I have in the queue!

Very pretty dress, you have such a good since of style.

4. Carolyn Boland says:

Thanks! Love your dress and Love Craftsy courses!

Sent from my iPhone

5. Gjeometry says:

Wow, it’s amazing what a difference fabric makes, isn’t it? This dress is definitely so elegant and red carpet worthy, I actually can’t believe it’s a knit! Glad you were able to get it to fit!

6. kbcrane says:

I love how your dress turned out with the cap sleeves. Are you willing to share the pattern you borrowed to make them? I have several patterns with cap sleeves and they are all a bit different.

7. It’s lovely – and a wonderful color for you.

8. Sarah O says:

Can I ask a question about this pattern: I have it and am in a dilemma as to what size to cut, and shear laziness means I want to avoid doing it more than once. I usually go with the finished garment measurements, but with this I am at a loss. How did you decipher which size? Thanks. Looks great as does everything you make!

• I used the pattern I cut out for the first dress, bug my advice is to cut it out at least 2 sizes larger than what you normally wear. After you attach the shingles baste and adjust until you get the fit you are looking for. Good luck!

9. Cheryl T Lemmons says:

This looks fabulous!

10. Jeannine says:

I love both of the dresses and like the cap sleeve on the blue dress, great choice. As an accomplished seamstress you have allowed all of us to share in your adventures in sewing. Thanks for sharing your decision making, thought process, problems, changes and distress. You show us all that there is light at the end of the tunnel:)

11. myrosesindecember says:

I, too, would love to know from what pattern you borrowed the cap sleeve. Both of your dresses are wonderful and the pattern is just fabulous. I have just added it to my wish list for the next time I go pattern shopping. I think this pattern could go from casual to elegant very well. Beautiful job!

12. Joan says:

Sarah,
    Very flattering and perfectly-fitted.

Ditto other comments on details about your process, surprises, and comparing with the stretch of your blue/white striped version: so helpful!

13. Fabulous! The colour is great on you and the cap sleeves are perfect for this style.

14. sewbusylizzy says:

I love the simplicity of this & while it might be a little more snug than you thought, it looks sensational!

15. Vicki says:

Looks very nice and not too tight at all. Just very figure flattering!

16. I made it!! says:

Blue is always my favourite!

17. Vanessa says:

This is absolutely beautiful, and oh so chic!!

18. Alice Elliot says:

I’m so happy to see that dress on a real person! I have the pattern and want to do it in a non-contrasting stripe, kind of a cross between the striped and plain versions. Glad to have the information that the fabric needs to have a bit more stretch than what I recall being recommended on the pattern envelope.

19. Very Chic Madame, It never ceases to amaze me after 61 years of sewing how a good pattern can look so different in varying fabric. Terrific and you do wear your clothes so beautifully.

20. Laura Casey says:

Oh I love this dress on you! Especially the solid color, takes it too a whole new level and love the cap sleeves….very sophisticated looking. I need to try that pattern…Look’n good kid! LAURA

21. Tia Dia says:

What a flattering garment. I love this in the stripes and the solids. Great colour choice!

22. Merry says:

Which Craftsy class are you taking?

23. Petra McLean says:

Wow! That looks like a whole new dress, like the navy and it looks great on.

24. Julie Starr says:

Really pretty, Sarah. The cap sleeve certainly does elevate the look to a less casual one. Nice also to see how successful the raw edges of the layers turned out. Blue is a great color on you.

25. katemcivor says:

I want to make this dress so much! Thank you for your 2 beautiful versions. I own the pattern, and I have bought some great striped bamboo knit. Now all I need is time. :)

26. Margaret says:

I love the blue on you! I’m almost finished with one of turquoise lace for a wedding in May…

27. That color is so pretty on you! Not sure I could leave the edges unfinished…lol…although they’d look great on this pattern in that casual knit. There are loads of high end designers doing it!

Did you find the Craftsy class helpful? I’ve been eyeing a few to watch during my ‘downtime’ ;)

• How on earth are you typing on a keyboard? :) Time will tell regarding the raw edges – I’m not sold on the technique yet. As I mentioned, I got way side tracked in the Craftsy course , but it focuses on sewing knits without a serger :)

• kbcrane says:

I made this pattern in a cotton knit and finished the edges and they STILL curled! I don’t know if I used the wrong stitch length or what.

• Laura Casey says:

Hi,, I love knits and sew with them all the time….the cotton knit Sarah used is very stable, and rarely curls. When looking at a knit, see if the piece on the bolt curls….if so….then that will happen…when I have a curly knit…I make my finished hem narrower and usually add 2 rows of stitching…and try not to pull on the knit while sewing….but if you can’t see it on a galloping horse….I don’t worry with it.

28. Annette says:

I’ve loved this dress from the moment I first saw your striped version Sarah! I have nearly completed my version longer length with 3/4 sleeves, just have to tweek it a bit then I will post it on RTW fasters page, you look fabulous in both versions, your choice of patterns and fabrics are very inspiring.

29. zibergirl says:

That’s a an elegant looking teeshirt dress. It looks like the perfect traveling dress too. Easy care, but perfect for an exotic dinner in a far away place!

30. Cindy C. says:

Could be me, but I think we’re looking at a successful candidate for the wedding rehearsal dinner. That is SUCH a flattering shade of blue on you! And I love the Frankenpatterning to get exactly the sleeve you want. Seems like you’re feeling more and more comfortable with free-forming it, with the Vogue pattern and Mood fabric as your canvas and brushes. You keep getting more and more creative with the custom changes you make, and the result is just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

31. Keys Maddox says:

Oh Sarah, I always enjoy receiving these wonderful diversions about sewing which I could never attempt except in my dreams! Thank you, for sharing. Keysie

Sent from my iPad

32. That looks really great love the fabrics!

33. Rita says:

Hello. This is a ‘wow’ dress. You look amazing – I think you should definitely sew knit fabric more often.

34. Spanky says:

Love it. You always come up with a winner.
    Spanky

Oh Sarah I love this dress on you! I have this pattern and have yet to make it. I am pulling it out for sure…this year it will be in my lineup!

Love this plain version, very stylish and those cap sleeves are perfect. I’ve still got to make mine and so glad you suggested to cut out 2 sizes larger. Now to find the right “winter” fabric!

37. Vernelle says:

Isn’t it just wonderful when you can use the same pattern and getso many different looks? All three of these dresses are just great. It takes a keen eye to even recognize that you used the same pattern to make all three.

38. Ann says:

I am just about to cut out this pattern. I understand that you are about 5’2″. I am just a little taller than that, at 5’3″. I note that the usual indicators on the pattern for shortening the length are not there. Also, shortening within the body would no doubt interfere with the shingles. Did you find that body length was an issue? Also, I noted that you recommended cutting at least two sizes larger than usual. This won’t be an option for me because my pattern only goes up to my size, 14. Does this recommendation apply to the stretchier fabrics, such as your first version, or simply to the second, more stable knit that you used? I’ll appreciate any suggestions you can make. Thank you.

39. Hi Ann- I made no adjustments to the length , but I did make the sorter version. I am not a fit expert , but if your fabric has limited stretch , I would add extra width just to be safe, mark the seamlines and baste. You can always cut the extra width on the seams if it’s too large. Good luck!

40. Ann says:

Thank you for your timely and helpful reply. I will take your advice, and add a little to the pattern, just to be safe.

41. Liss says:

The navy really does look lovely on you Sarah especially with the gold accessories. Have you had your colours professionally done or is it just an innate ability you have? :)

42. Thank you so much, Liss! I have not had my colors professionally done, but I am a “Spring”.

Really like the cap sleeves on this version. I have this pattern ready to try…now with another idea for sleeves! You look stylish as ever!

44. Maddie says:

Isn’t it funny the wild ride projects take us on? Even though it’s not what you first envisioned, I like this version just as much as the first!