ELLE

I’ll take the beach just about any way I can get it. We packed the car in the snow and skidded out of town the moment the travel advisory was lifted.

Greetings from Edisto Island where the blue water and glistening sun erase the memory of a foot of snow back home.
LOL – it’s freezing here too ;)

IMG_4223I wish I could say I knitted the sweater and wove the scarf, but my garment making skills are limited to the sewing machine.

Toward the end of December I was itching to rush out and buy everything I thought I “needed” before starting the 2014 RTW Fast, which included leggings – especially the Hue leggings advertised in every color. I took a close look at the $40 leggings and passed even though the colors were enticing.

Instead I returned to a pattern I made nearly two years ago that I intended to sew again much sooner than now.
Style Arc’s “Elle” was my introduction to this wonderful Australian pattern company in 2012 (blogged here). While not officially a legging, the slim line pant fit me perfectly.

ELLE-PANTNot only did I make the pattern again but I chose the same high quality woven/knit hybrid fabric – this time in a chocolate brown.

Since I made this pair of pants specifically to go with my heavy cable knit
sweater, I eliminated any excess fabric that might create bulk by sewing ¾” outer seams rather than Style Arc’s recommended 3/8”. I also shortened the back length by trimming ½” from the pant before attaching the waistband.

I’m loving the fit as there is no ease along the outer lines but lots of comfort throughout.

What I’m not loving is that I made the pants to wear to an Oyster Roast yesterday, however, it was so cold and windy I had to change directions by bundling up in my warmest clothes.

Today the weather is purrfect………

… and I suppose it is the purrrfect consolation.

Until soon :)

This entry was posted in Easy Sewing, Edisto Beach, sewing with knits, Style Arc Patterns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to ELLE

Love these on you! It’s one of my go-to StyleArc patterns. Easy and perfect fit.

2. Carol Email says:

Just got her new post !

Sent from my iPad

3. Annette says:

These are going on my must have patterns. I don’t have any, but the list of must have’s is getting longer!
    I really love the whole outfit. Sweaters are so cozy. Especially on the beach. I love yours and your whole outfit.

4. Carmen Isaacs says:

Love them. Please could you share the name of the fabric you used.

5. Karen de Vries says:

Did you purchase the woven/knit hybrid from Style Arc or some other source?

6. Dilliander says:

Lovely photo shoot and lovely Elle, the perfect pants for what looks like the perfect location :)

7. O! Jolly! says:

Absolutely great pants with fabulous fit!

8. Lauren says:

Is it that cold you have to be all bundled up like that? Not really beach weather. Oh dear. Love the scarf.

9. LLADYBIRD says:

I love them! Good pairing with that cabled sweater :D

10. Pam says:

So much better than the Hue leggings – I’ve been wearing lululemon and I am about to send my leggings to my local thrift and make my own! Great job — and keep warm!

11. Gjeometry says:

Love these pants! I am still deciding on which trouser pattern to order from Style Arc, they have many! You acieved a great fit with these. What kind of fabric did you use that is a knit woven hybrid?

Very stylish looking pants in my favourite colour and the location looks amazing.

13. Becky Bagwell says:

You make me smile! Great outfit….i am still working on my dress. LOL

14. Carolyn Boland says:

You should be a model as well As expert Sewists!

Sent from my iPhone

15. Ann Richerson says:

Love the pants and sweater! I also knit but have never made a sweater. Was this pattern difficult to do? I may try to knit one soon it looks so nice with your pants.

16. Laura Casey says:

I like the changes you made…..because they really are a slim pant, not leggings, which I really don’t consider outerwear. They are slim, but you have ease….love it!. And you too!

17. Annie says:

Fabulous hack! Perfect for a stroll on the beach.

18. My Sewing Suite says:

Looks cozy. I love that pattern and have only used the stretch woven from Nortex Mills, similar to the recommended fabric. I would like to try your fabric for my next pair, I hate to pay so much for shipping.Thanks for the link above.

These look great! They’re so slim and chic! Love ‘em, and way to stay strong and avoid RTW!

20. Toni says:

Thank you for the inspiration. I truly enjoy your blog! I didn’t sign up for the RTW 2014, mainly because I don’t have a blog. But one of my goals for this year is to do more of my own sewing. I have completed one project…a white, button down tunic. It turned out well, if you don’t look too closely :)
    I think I will try pants like these. Thank you for the link to the fabric…I think it is so hard to find good quality fabric at the chain stores, or is that just me?
    Blessings!
    Toni

21. joengreen@yahoo.com says:

Great outfit! nothing like the beach! The pants fit perfect. May have to give the pattern a try as they look very comfy.

22. I was brought up in Northumberland where it is rarely anything other than freezing at the beach so this outfit is perfect in my opinion! I really must try Style Arc – their patterns always look so good :)

23. Amy in SC says:

De-lurking to say you look great. And to say welcome to the coast. I live in Summerville, near of Charleston. Finally in the 50-60 degree range here. Should be 70’s soon. Then I will take off my sweater. Come visit in the spring. Weather and land gorgeous then.

Amy in SC

• Thank you, Amy! We have a home at Edisto and Spring and Summer are our favorite seasons to be there. Of course, I’m happy to be at the beach anytime and it was a time of year for an Oyster Roast. Summerville is lovely :)

24. Shannon Nixson says:

I absolutely LOVE your style!!! And I admire your work!

I really like these pants, great looking outfit.

26. Meg Kundert says:

I think you may have convinced me to try my first Style Arc pattern!

27. Teri says:

These look so fantastic on you! Another pattern to add to the wish list. I just got a shipment from them last month….alas this one must wait til March.

28. Leslie says:

They are fantastic! And I love your whole outfit!

29. Cindy C. says:

I envy you wearing this highly flattering pants pattern. Someday, somebody will review it for compatibility with age-related butt droop, and I’ll be paying close attention. In the meantime, congratulations on yet another fabulous sewing success.

30. Vanessa says:

Very nice! I’ve been hemming and hawing, wondering what pants pattern to try first from Style Arc. This has settled it. Elle, it is! Thanks for the inspiration and the details on your fabric.

31. Lexley- Brisbane AU says:

StyleArc patterns are just the best! Your pants look fabulous! I have never heard of an ‘Oyster Roast’ -what is this?
    Cheers
    Lexley

32. Jean says:

Love the whole outfit. Looks so comfortable yet stylish. I have just received this very pattern from Style Arc and I can’t wait to try it out. I really want to master pants fitting this year. Yours have really inspired me.

33. Amanda S. says:

Wow! These pants look great on you!

Oh you leggings are totally divine; the colour the fit. Perfection! I love how you’ve styled them too :)

35. Pingback: The Last Post……..        | Goodbye Valentino