Marfy + Mood = Love

Have you made your Marfy yet?

Thanks to Leisa Stanton of A Challenging Sew, I had no more excuses to avoid the chic Italian patterns without instructions. Not only are three free patterns available for downloads on the Marfy website, but Leisa is providing sew-a-longs for the patterns on her blog and just completed the top sew-a-long.

How do you like it?

The pattern is Marfy 1913, and after two muslins I was ready to cut my Thakoon silk crepe de chine from Mood Fabrics. When the silk arrived in July, I was tempted to make my 5th sleeveless ruffled top.

No! No! No!” exclaimed the sewing angels :)

I contemplated a shirt dress and the next thing I knew it was November…….

I fell hard for this pattern with its cut-in shoulders and soft drape.

1913_2_blu

I knew the style was suitable for everyday or special occasion dressing, plus I could wear it tucked in or left out.

IMG_4045 Leisa’s sew-a-long removes the mystery from the Marfy. She allows two weeks to complete a Marfy pattern, and her virtual patience set me in to a slower than normal sewing pace. I forbade myself from rushing through any aspect of constructing the top.

The top is easy to sew, but understanding what to do took some time.

Briefly:

• I printed the pattern on 13 sheets of paper and experienced a disaster. The pattern did not print to scale and my adjustments were incorrect. Muslin #1 resembled a child’s garment, but after regrouping and reprinting I was back on track.
  • From my second muslin I quickly made a shell to check for fit using an inexpensive polyester.
  • While some sewing details are noted on the paper pattern, others are completely missing. For instance, there was no marking to indicate where to place the back opening. Leisa suggested different options and provided a detailed tutorial for one method carefully gauging the appropriate opening size. The slash is finished with a small dart – a completely new technique for me.

• I secured the closure with two buttons and loop buttonholes using a chain stitch. Leisa used a small leather buckle, but a zipper can be inserted as well. I guess this is part of the beauty of sewing Marfy patterns.
  • In addition to Leisa’s excellent instructions, links to many fine tutorials are provided throughout the six part sew-a-long, and no detail is overlooked.
  • I opted out of the elastic band on the lower edge of the top,  and removed one inch of ease from the side seams allowing the blouse to easily tuck in fitted clothes.

IMG_4110 (1)

It’s nice to be finished and even better to have a permanent muslin and pattern for this top!

Using such little fabric I can justify splurging next time around. I can just see it in these Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta prints, not to mention luxury silk solids or cotton voile!

Many thanks to Leisa for getting me out of my comfort zone and a huge thank you to Mood for carrying such an array of enticing fabrics!

Until soon :)

This entry was posted in Marfy Patterns, Mood Fabrics, Online Fabric Orders, sewing bloggers, sewing blogs, Sewing Tops, silk, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Marfy + Mood = Love

I just love this top on you. I might have to try a Marfy now, thanks to the Leisa’s site.

2. Judi says:

That top looks very nice on you!!! The fabric is gorgeous!

Great top…love your fabric.

4. Gail Yellen says:

Chic + comfy = one of my favorite combos. Beautiful!

Love this on you, Sarah! Lots of places you can wear this for sure. Can’t wait to see future versions of this!

6. Carolyn Boland says:

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone

7. M.E. White says:

Absolutely gorgeous. Could you tell us a bit on the correct choices for printing? I am having trouble on that. Thanks and Thanks for a wonderful blog.

• Thank you!
      Leisa mentioned that MacBook Pros are notorious for reconfiguring when printing. I also printed two copies of two-sided paper the first time. I believe double sided printing condensed the image too. I printed from my iPad the second time and everything was printed to scale. You may want to check with Leisa since I’ve done this only once.

8. Carolyn Boland says:

However, one must have nice Shoulders and toned arms to Wear successfully. You are a Great model!

Sent from my iPhone

9. Jenny says:

That looks super – congrats on tackling Marfy!

10. carolee1945 says:

I love the fabric, I love the design, and I love the model. Is that you? Yes, wow!!!

11. Angelique says:

That’s gorgeous! I have mine cut out and gathered, but then I stalled for a few weeks. Seeing your lovely finished blouse makes me want to get mine done :)

What a beatiful top! I could see this in a very luscious fabric and hope you show and tell when you make another! It’s worth a trip over to the Marfy site!

13. Sarah. Jo says:

Lovely top! I contemplated purchasing a couple yards of that lovely fabric but knew my skills were not up to snuff to tackle it.

14. Deborah R Penner says:

The Marfy patterns are lovely. It does seem that they have a limited size range. They might fit me but there are many other sewists who might appreciate a wider size range.

15. lisa g says:

gorgeous top! oh i love that fabric, it looks so dreamy!

16. marnie says:

How much time do you devote to sewing per day/week?

17. Alexandra says:

Beautiful top! Such a pretty fabric and I just love those cut-in shoulders.

18. Dilliander says:

So pretty, this style looks lovely on you and the Mood silk is perfect.

19. Hanh says:

Good job as always, and you look very lovely

20. Sarah I love this on you. Your fabric is real pretty and falls beautifully.

Gorgeous top and love the silk! Love Leisa’s sew along, got my button last night so plan to finish my top this weekend.

22. Julie Starr says:

Love, it Sarah! The cut in shoulders look so great on you. I have so much patterned voile and will try this over the summer.

23. Judie says:

Simply stunning!

24. Looks great on you.Love the fabric/patterns/colors! Nice job as always!

25. Cindy C. says:

Utterly lovely and j’adore the fabric! To me, red is the universal “happy fabric,” and this print just made me smile.

Just out of curiosity, did you have to do a “modesty adjustment” to the armhole, or was it high enough already?

• Thank you, Cindy! Would you believe it was perfect as is? That’s a rarity for sure. My only adjustment was removing an inch of ease from the front and back and adding 1″ to the length.

26. Roberta says:

Love it! Well done for attempting a Marfy!

27. Liss says:

Thakoon is amazing. No wonder Anna Wintour picked him from the bunch. And yes, please post again with the Carolina Herrera or Oscar DLR fabric!

That top really looks wonderful on you, I am really in awe of your talent Sarah x

28. Becky Bagwell says:

YOU did it again! Love your top!

29. Urbanite says:

Lovely. I wanted to sew along with Leisa, but I must be the only person in the sewing universe who could not find the link for the pattern. Arrgh.

30. Shannon says:

You inspire me sooo much. I wish I was half as talented as you! I’m going to keep trying though! Keep up the great work.

31. Such a shoulder flattering top! I love the fabric too.

32. Laura says:

Beautiful! You keep opening new worlds of sewing – thank you!

33. Jean says:

Love the shape of this top and it suits you so well.

A perfect sweetheart of a top for Valentines Day (with the heating on high!?) Beautifully made…and another winning style on you!

35. Oh lovely and the top is just so versatile. You make such lovely things and have a great eye for fabric. Thank you for the link to Leisa’s site…. One day right?

36. poppykettle says:

Oh Sarah it’s gorgeous on you! Loving how you mix up the styling on it too. Definitely a winner and a versatile little top!

37. maryfunt says:

Loved seeing your creations. I just finished my first version and posted the result on cloningcouture.com. Loving the ready-to-wear fast.

38. Gjeometry says:

I have not made my Marfy yet and I don’t know why as I think this blouse is gorgeous! I love your version. Sleeveless never looked so classy! I also like it tucked in AND tucked out which you can’t say about most tops.