So Faux Futuristic Vest

When hubby left for work this morning the fur was flying. The metallic faux-leather with faux-fur backing spattered like confetti once cut and even stuck to the walls, my clothes and my hair.  Having just finished vacuuming the Christmas tree needles, I was not amused to watch the expensive fabric behave so poorly, but I was on a mission ….. and I had a vision to realize.

I selected the fabric from many faux-leather, faux-fur backed fabrics in the Garment District in October (2013).  More reasonably priced than most, I bought one yard to try out. I a pictured fur-trimmed vest, so here it is.

The pattern is Butterick 5683 and I began with View C.

B5683 view C

The front, back and front yoke seams are sewn by lapping one piece over the other, matching the 5/8” seam allowances and stitching on the top. Afterwards the seam is trimmed to ¼”.  The pattern instructions state to leave the edges unfinished.

After sewing the front and back vertical seams as instructed, I knew I wanted the fur accent to be more substantial so I did my own thing.

Being so distracted by the flying fur I forgot to take construction photos, but here’s the scoop.

For the yoke I pressed the seam allowance upwards and topstitched the fur in place. The stitches disappeared into the fur.

For the neck, front edge, arms and hem I simply turned the fur to the outside and stitched with a narrow zig-zag.

Turning the fur on the lower edge resulted in a garment that was too short for the separating zipper so I inserted large hooks and eyes to the inside, which in this instance, I prefer to the big separating zipper.

Hubby returned home to a clean house and me wearing my first 2014 garment. He said I look like someone from Star Trek.

IMG_3745 “…Second star to the right — and straight on ’til morning,” said I.

“…… and bring on the Polar Vortex too.”

This entry was posted in Butterick Patterns, Sewing Tops and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

110 Responses to So Faux Futuristic Vest

1. sewdooley says:

Very cute and cozy. Hope it’s keeping you warm and that nasty polar vortex goes back to where it came from.

2. David says:

This is amazing Sarah. Quite different from your usual makes but you still managed to make it look very classy…as always I should say :)

3. accordion3 says:

I’m using that pattern in the long sleeved version, for a jacket to wear while ice skating. Where you happy with the pattern? It seems that the fabric hassles were a bigger concern for you.

Oh and it looks lovely!

4. r says:

It looks superb. You bring such elegance to your clothing.

5. If only the crew of the Enterprise were that well dressed!

6. Elaine says:

Now why can’t the pattern companies come up with sewn garments that show off the patterns as well as yours do? You really need to offer your help, Valentino! I never thought I’d laugh out loud so much while reading about patterns and sewing.

• When I toured the McCalls Pattern Company I met the lady who selects all of the fabrics for the patterns. Very nice, organized and the process was impressive. Having said that….. I ‘d love to help in that area :) Thank you, Elaine!

7. Cracked up when I read your first paragraph! I’m finishing this for my mom for Christmas…ok, New Year’s…UGH. Whatever holiday is next week! The pattern isn’t bad (I also had to adjust the zipper) and it seems to be more fitted. (I’m making the long sleeved, fitted version – post coming!)

My collar, however…WHAT A MESS! It’s wonderful curly ‘fur’, but good grief…it was EVERYWHERE! Totally know what you mean. I couldn’t get it off my hands, it had to be vacuumed off my cutting mat, the floor, walls…whew! And of course we had house guests coming for Christmas :)

I like how yours turned out. I’ve never actually seen that faux shearling stuff, but your fabric is fun :)

8. Robin says:

Nice job with a difficult fabric! Turning out the edges to expose the faux fur makes the vest look both relaxed and classy. You have improved the original design of the pattern.

9. Annie says:

You just channeled this Polar vortex in order to show off your be-yoo-tiful vest. Hope it is keeping you warm. Wouldn’t do the job in Va mountains wherein we were below 0 F.this morning.

10. Vicki says:

Very cute. Fun fabric.

11. Tina Kellner says:

We seem to be on a similar wavelength.  I just finished a sherpa brown suede vest, Kwiksew 3953.  I was originally inspired by Nordstrom’s Uptown Shearling Snood by Ugg ($425.00).  Saw the sherpa fabric in Joann fabrics and decided to give it a go.  I liked it so much that bought more to make the Kwiksew vest and a hat from a Threads article Dec 1994/January 1995.  I have worn all three pieces, not only do they look great they are warm too.  The fabric is washable – nice feature.  We are in the Polar vortex here in New Jersey as I write this.

I also wanted to mention that I made a pair of slacks for Christmas out of the cobalt blue Carolina Herrara paisley fabric that you made your dress out of.  The pants are gorgeous but I had gone on line to see what was available at Mood for brocades, the fabric was priced at $40 per yard.  Went in to Mood found and bought the fabric- but for $50 per yard, not realizing it until I returned home.  I don’t know if on your trip to Mood you had a similar experience, but that was a real disappointment.  I have been talking with them, but I don’t think a resolution is going to happen.  Luckily there are MANY great fabric stores in NYC to choose from.  I also wanted to tell you that the Style Arc patterns you mentioned are wonderful.  What a find.  They are worth the price and the wait. I also made the ribbon skirt, really cool.

Thank you for all your inspiration!  My girlfriend Emily in Wisconsin forwarded your blog to me over the summer and now we are both avid viewers. Tina   Tina Kellner Tina_Tony@ymail.com 973-543-8554

• Tina, Thank you for your nice comment. I’m going to check out the sherpa fabric as I’d like to make this once more using the smaller size. I bet your brocade pants are gorgeous and I too, thought about making pants out of the brocade before sewing the dress. ….. and I agree, Style Arc Patterns are fabulous! :) :)

12. lauriesannie says:

You just channeled that Polar Vortex in order to show off your be-too-tiful vest. Hope it is keeping you warm. Wouldn’t help in Va mountains wherein it was 0 F. this am.

13. Judi says:

I love it…very cute!

Sarah, this vest is really nice! I was planning on making of faux fur vest as well. However, mine is not going to be as fancy as yours though! Very, very nice! “Beam me up Sarah”!

15. Carole says:

Very nice, Peter. It will keep you warm in Neverland.

16. Hip and sexy and somehow classy as well. Love this! And it looks fantastic on you.

17. ewellons says:

Sarah, I’m not really a vest person. But seeing this on you makes me rethink my aversion to vests! Very cool!!! I’ve been playing around with leather myself — more to come on that! But good job, as always!

18. Vanessa says:

I think your vest is lovely! And I had to chuckle at how your husband said you looked like someone from Star Trek. My hubby has given me nicknames on more than one of my outfits. There is the “Zebra” one, and the orange top that makes me look like I “just got out of jail.”

19. abailey0674 says:

Ok…now I see. So cute! Love it. You look amazing as always :) Sorry it gave you such trouble. I am having a similiar issue with my metalic tweed dress I am working on, only it looks like tinsle flying at my house :)

20. Mary Lynn says:

You look too great to have been sewing all day! Somehow, all day sewing fests – which seldom
    happen at my house – require me to have dirty hair, no makeup and food spilled all down my shirt! Cute vest! Have you finished your sewing room?

21. Barbara Lindsey says:

Beautiful

22. Jenny says:

Very cute! Well worth the fur fuzz everywhere!

23. Faye Lewis says:

It’s always nice to work with new fabrics. Your vest is really cute.

24. Alethia says:

I say, well done! Awesome, and I adore that fabric!
    I’m so jealous, I had to put my faux leather jeans on hold for now…I had to evacuate and clear out my sewing room due to my house flooding (busted pipes)… I’m so bummed! This morning my house looked like “A River Runs Through It”…literally. However, all is good and I can’t wait to get back to my machine.BTW, Great comeback to your hubby, love it, lol!

25. Belinda says:

Beam me up Sarah that vest is lovely and looks good on you.

26. Amanda S. says:

Oh so super cute!!! I may need to copy this exact vest…

27. Patti says:

We must be on the same wavelength because I’ve wanted to take the faux fur vest I own and figure out how to get it to fit me. I think I have this pattern (or a similar one) – I’ll get it out and play with it to see what needs to be done or if I should start from scratch. My problem is my wide hips – and the straight sides of this vest. Yours looks great!!!

28. Annette says:

I have some faux fur that is waiting for a matching pattern. I wish my fabric would work with this pattern. Maybe I will have to find new fabric and pick up your pattern. I love vests and I really want a faux furn one. Once again, you have inspired me.

29. Joyce Love says:

“Bring on the Polar Vortex” – bwahahaha!!! Love the vest!

30. Hanh says:

Splendid interpretation, and well prepared for this cold weather!

31. Teri says:

I can hardly see your vest, as I am distracted by the green grass and leaves on a tree behind you. ;) ~Teri from snow covered Idaho.

32. EmSewCrazy says:

If you’re from Star Trek it’s the best wardrobe piece they’ve got! Those costumes are so uninspiring.
    Lovely vest!

33. I made it!! says:

Ah huh, your husband is just jealous – because he wants one!

34. Peggy Harper says:

Hi Sarah, I love the vest! Really looks great on you. I have the same pattern also! And had planned to make a fur vest. But since I am just getting back into sewing it will be a while. I have decided to follow along with your RTW fast this year and sign up next. I have no blog yet but I will start one soon. I plan to sew everything this year, except for the smalls :-). I think the blog will be harder than the sewing for me. I just can’t imagine why anyone would want to read it…yet I spend hours reading your’s and so many others. I love all the blogs too so I hope mine will get read also. Thanks for the encouragement. -Peggy in Sunny CA!

• Hi Peggy and thank you! My friend said the same thing about her blog ( not sewing) and then I showed her the locations of the hits and she was completely flabbergasted. You’ll do fine :)

35. Cindy C. says:

Holy fuzzballs! Love, love, love the metallic faux leather! And, amazingly, the faux fur used as the trim looks quite nice. Question: Does the faux fur continue to shed when the vest is worn, or was the shedding confined to the construction period?

How to turn a fuzzy vest into style!

37. Jan says:

Very fashionable. Star Trek. Husbands, “we gotta love them”. lol.

38. Ooobop! says:

Simply stunning!

39. Roswitha says:

Love your vest. It looks gorgeous.
    Have a nice day
    Roswitha

40. Almeda says:

That fabric is gorgeous! And the fur adds a classic modern look to your lovely new vest.
    Thanks for the laughs. Your experience with the ‘flying fur’ reminds me of my elementary students using ‘glitter’ in art projects. Oh my!!! How we all sparkled for days! :)
    Have you considered sewing something for Mr. Hubby? Perhaps a matching vest?? LOL!

• Yes….. it was just like glitter! I found a piece of fur in the shower today on the other end of the house. I’m cutting outside next time :) Mr. Hubs will NOT be getting a Star Trek vest!

This is so cute! I really like it! The fabric has a nice drape to it– that saves it from looking too “starfleet”! Really fun!

42. Harriet Craig says:

That is adorable.

43. LinB says:

My daughter and I amuse ourselves among the clothing racks at thrift stores — while shopping for “normal” garments for ourselves — by choosing garments for an imaginary wedding party to wear at a Star Trek wedding. Some days are silvery, some days are golden, all days are sparkly and futuristic.

44. What a cute vest and you wear it so well! You have a wonderful instinct for putting fabrics & patterns together beautifully. I am contemplating restyling my fur coat into a vest however, the polar vortex has pretty much left Tucson alone however I prefer mid 70’s & blue skies to our mid 60’s & grey sky…just saying (probably got myself into trouble with that…LOL!) I’m not overly motivated right now for that project! Keep the inspiration coming for the rest of us!

45. patsdesign says:

I would never have imagined this myself. You truly have a style that is quite appealing. Also, I like the way you take the plunge and the risk and do it. I stop myself, sometimes before I begin cause I get lost in the thinking process and then get overwhelmed and out of time. Truly a beautiful vest…

• Thank you so much for your nice comment, Pat! I try really hard to imagine all of the details of the finished garment before committing to the sewing project …. usually it works out, but not 100% :)

46. nenewhis says:

Actually, I quite like this vest, it’s very trendy. I love metallics and being able to pair it with fur is fun. Good choice on the pattern, it is simple and doesn’t compete with your fabric. It’s so perfect that you didn’t use a zipper for this vest, I think that would have been too much. This would also look great with a pair of dark blue jeans! I think wherever you go you will get compliments on it!

47. Roberta says:

Beautiful! Another great job!

48. sewgrandma says:

Your post was a Hoot! I LOVE your vest. Years ago I learned that there is a “right” way to cut faux-fur. I found the following to share:

P.S. I can’t seem to settle down in front of my sewing machine for reading all the sewing blogs & related comments. It’s like a “hard to put down book”. Then there’s all the RTW Fasters.
    Sew long.

49. danvillegirl says:

I really like this metallic faux fur vest!!!

50. Pam says:

I love the vest but I especially loved your way with words in this post. You kept me smiling the whole way through! :-)

Love your new vest but I’m sorry I’m just not getting the Star Trek vibe – fashion forward chic fashionista yes! Star Trek – nope not at all!

52. sewruth says:

Are you inside my head? Guess what’s next on my sewing table? Not as fashion forward as your own version though….. Fab vest! Can you wear it fur side out too?

53. Marta says:

“He said I look like someone from Star Trek.” ROFL Sounds like something my husband would say! I think it came out great and just enough fur, not too much, to be streamlined and classic. I love it!

54. Tiffany says:

Oh my!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! Just showed it to 3 people. I usually love everything you make but I think this is my favorite!

55. bgbecky says:

Hello! I am about to sew a blanket using faux sherpa and wanting to do it rag quilt style with unfinished edges. did your vest fray or shed on the unfinished edges? Thanks for your help!!! :)