Habotai Silk Top

Dear Readers,

I made this top last week for the Mood Sewing Network which was published by Mood yesterday.  How it contrasts with what I’m doing this week in Baltimore! I think there is value in both slow and fast sewing, but this was my last walk down easy street for a while :)

_______________________

“You look like you’re hiding from somebody back there!” exclaimed hubby.

“Do you seriously think I can hide from anyone in this wild silk habotai print from Mood Fabrics?”

This print was mine five seconds after I saw it online. What can I say? I love bold fabrics – all 62 inches of me!

Mood suggests making the silk into a kimono or caftan  – ‘perfect for lounging poolside in Miami or Ibiza’.  I can see myself wearing a beautiful caftan in my fantasy life one day, but in the meantime I wanted to bring this mix of vibrant colors into my everyday wardrobe.

Just look at this design!

105263-f

With such a bold print I selected a simple pattern to let the fabric speak for itself.

6179

New Look’s 6179 was one of the first patterns I made upon returning to sewing two years ago. The three gathered pattern pieces suited the soft drape of the lightweight fabric and the top is not overly full, giving it a flattering fit.

6179fb

The top is constructed with French seams and wlastic bands finish the sleeves. I also ran elastic through the neckline with fabric ties attached on each side of the elastic.  After capping off the neck ties with gold beads, I proclaimed my peasant top completed!

IMG_1863 (1)

An easy top ready for most anything other than a game of hide and seek :)

Until soon :)

This entry was posted in Easy Sewing, Mood Fabrics, New Look Sewing Patterns, Sewing Tops, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Habotai Silk Top

1. Philippa says:

I have that pattern and have made it before I started blogging – I agree with you about the fit, it fit me similar to you. It looks great! Hope you enjoy your more challenging sewing this week, too!

2. Alethia says:

Love, love, love the fabric! I see why it was yours seconds after you saw it! I love bold prints, too! The fabric makes this look like a difficult and complex top…it looks as though the lines were sewn that way…it’s just beautiful! If bought,you would have paid $$$ for it!!

3. Carolyn Boland says:

Fabulous as always!

Sent from my iPhone

4. Miriam says:

That print fabric looks great on you and the pattern was a perfect match. Love it.

I would never buy something that bold, but it looks lovely on you! Maybe I am too conservative? I couldn’t have pictured it in a finished garment. I will have to work on that. I hope you have a week of fascinating learning. Do share when you get back!

6. Anita says:

I absolutely love it! What a great choice of pattern and fabric. I’m thinking I must get some!

7. Jeannine Dropchinski says:

Beautiful top, love the colors on you! Thanks for sharing that you are 5’2″…I am the same and now I can relate to the scale of the items you make and how they would fit for me, too. Enjoying my apron:) Thanks again!

8. Gjeometry says:

Woah! Well, you wouldn’t WANT to hide from anybody in that top, it’s gorgeous. You know what? From the pics, before I saw the pattern, I thought that all that pattern design was seaming! You should top-stitch over those adjoining pattern lines in the fabric and tell folks about the difficult top from a complex sewing pattern, you made. ;) (I think I may have to get my hands on some of this fabric as well. Will have to check out shipping costs)

9. Sarah Jo says:

Lovely! The print takes this pattern from mundane to “Wow!”

10. Roxanne says:

The pattern reminds me of blouses I wore back in the mid-to-late 60’s. The print is fantastic and looks great on you.

11. Sheree says:

You have matched the pattern and fabric so well and it suits you perfectly. One of the hardest things to get right (in my opinion) is a good combination of fabric and pattern. You seem to have a talent for it.

12. Elaine says:

I’m so glad that you seem to like the color orange. Two of my favorite items that you have sewn are the stripe skirt with border that you wore in your recent “trunk” show and the (thanks to Rit Dye as I recall!) orange lace dress. This now goes on my list too. Did you find the amount of fabric suggested on the back of the pattern envelope to be accurate?
    I enjoyed the article about you in the Spartanburg paper.

13. Jean says:

Beautiful peasant top, Sarah. Nice to know this is a slim fitting pattern too. Just added it to my wish list.

14. lisa g says:

beautiful top! that fabric is amazing!

15. Cindy says:

I love that you’ve combined very striking fabric with a simple, graceful-looking pattern for an original garment that nobody else has, or could wear like you do. STUNNING!

Gorgeous blouse, love the way you have used the fabric.

17. You could play hide and seek in our garden that now is full of leaves in various shades of yellow and orange. A very suitable top for the season, you look good in it!

18. hollylewis says:

That top is gorgeous. At first glance it looks like multiple pieces. You will love Susan’s class! She is a wonderful person, and her class is fabulous.

19. macinic says:

It’s gorgeous – fabulous fabric and pattern match (again!) – Have an AMAZING week – I can’t wait to read of your wonderful experiences in the course – and what you make! ;)

20. Tina says:

What a great top, you continue to inspire me with every new post!!!

21. I love that pattern. Not something that would have attracted me by looking at the pattern but seeing the finished top on you – it looks fantastic. The colours are such fun :-)

22. Joan says:

Lovely match of fabric and pattern, and great for early Fall!

23. jlundy6116 says:

Another winner! Beautiful top!

24. Kay says:

Love your top so much that I purchased the pattern! Thanks for the tip on replacing the tie with elastic and just adding tie to ends of elastic but as a new sewer could you tell me how much elastic to use around the neck or how to measure to get a good fit. thanks