Butterick 5873

I believe relaxing vacations are a fantasy.

IMG_1342 Mine began with a bust as I was greeted at the beach by an exploding water heater leaving everyone with cold showers for three days.  As soon as company left, the painters came w i t h o u t  their drop clothes…….

Midweek I had the pleasure of meeting and spending an afternoon with my blogging and Pattern Review friend, Julie Starr!

I wore the ribbon skirt in her honor ;)  Julie is wearing her beautiful dress with 20 darts!

The next day my oldest daughter became engaged, and we shifted into high gear! Hubby and I packed up and headed to Charleston for a celebration dinner with both families before attending a football game in the blazing heat the following day.

Somehow in the midst of the chaos and excitement I made a dress.

____________________________

Greetings from Botany Bay, one of South Carolina’s barrier islands featuring a hauntingly beautiful boneyard beach.

I’ve made my first See & Sew pattern in this fun lycra/rayon jersey print from Mood Fabrics.

I’ve said I’ll never buy another wrap dress.  I’ll never buy another faux wrap dress either.

I considered  sewing my jersey with Vogue 1314  for some time. I even went so far as to lay out the pattern and fabric, but the practicality of the Butterick 5873 won out over high fashion ;)

Is there a better pattern – fabric combination for everyday wear? No wrinkles, no wardrobe malfunctions on windy days and the comfort level is sky-high.

I was quite excited to sew a really easy pattern, but who am I kidding? I seem to have a knack for making simple patterns more complicated than intended.

B5873
 Justifying that a little extra t-l-c is always worth the end result, I underlined the fashion fabric with a very lightweight tricot knit from my stash.

For the front, I sewed the right sides together at the neckline and turned the fabric. Using this method I avoided sewing a narrow hem finish along the front of the dress. Then I basted the underling to the side seams and sewed as one piece. For the back I sewed the back pieces together down the center seam and basted the two fabrics wrong sides together.

Since the dress is very close-fitting and does not have a waistline seam, the underlining provides just enough weight to keep the dress hanging nicely, preventing it from clinging to all of the wrong places.

Some may understandably consider my latest to be a summer dress. I thought about adding the longer sleeves for about five minutes before concluding that the cap sleeves are more my style … any dress with sleeves fits the bill for Fall in my book!

It’s also perfect with my new fall shoes………

IMG_1324but I’m most likely to wear it with sandals for the next 10 days as I bid farewell to my favorite season of the year.

Until soon!

This entry was posted in Butterick Patterns, Easy Sewing, J. McLaughlin Ribbon Skirt, Mood Fabrics, Sewing Dresses, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to Butterick 5873

1. Donna says:

Love it! I may have to try this one.

2. Laura H. says:

Beautiful! I’m adding this pattern to my wishlist and will definitely consider your added touches.

3. Jacquie30100 says:

Bonjour
    Votre robe est superbe, le tissu tres original
    Tres elegante sur vous . Quel dommage que l’ete finisse

4. Awilda says:

Hello, I love your dress. I have this same pattern but I haven’t attempted to make it because pattern states it has a side zipper and I struggle with zippers and light fabric. I’m wondering if you added a zipper. I really don’t see it on the pictures. I would appreciate your input thank you.

5. Angela says:

How fun to meet up with Julie! And congratulations on your daughter’s engagement:) You have sewn up another pattern that I have but am far from getting to. I love it on you — I can see it with some turquoise wedges, too.

6. LinB says:

Miz Sarah, honey, where you live that IS a fall dress! The colors make it so. You won’t need long sleeves for many months yet.

You’re right, dear woman, that wraps and faux wraps are an active female’s best friend — whether blouse, dress, skirt, or pants (remember those funny pants and shorts from the 1960s and 1970s that had no side seams, and tied on from front-to-back and back-to-front?)

How cute are the two of you! I am pea green with envy!

Okay, now I have valid proof the Big 4 recycles their patterns to each other and changes out the numbers. When I saw the line drawing on your post I knew I had made this dress because it is one of my favorite patterns, but the “See and Sew” wasn’t ringing a bell. I went back and checked…yup…It is (or maybe was) M6163. Oh, well, they’re in it to make a buck and we both look cute in it so it’s all good, right? Anyway, thanks for the reminder on it…need a new one for fall!

Congrats on the impending wedding! Better get busy beading that dress…lol

Hugs,
    ;D

• I’m sure your ears were burning. Julie and I talked about getting together with you, somehow – someway!
      No wedding dress in the making for me – way too stressful, but I am considering my dress! :)

8. Vivian says:

Wow on your dress. I want this pattern. And mazel-tov on your daughters engagement. You and Julie look like you could be sisters.

9. Lauren says:

Love it! Beach camouflage material! How cool is that? Perfect! Much better than a bathing suit. Great idea and super good pattern.

10. Gayle says:

You are amazing–to be on vacation & still make time to sew! Lovely!

11. Kay says:

It is beautiful!!!

12. Almeda says:

Life is Good! :) Another flattering versatile dress! Love it!! :) A wonderful visit with Julie Starr! :) :) Your daughter’s engagement! How wonderful! Looks like a lot more sewing in your future. Congratulations and have fun with all the preparations to come!

13. Elizabeth says:

Wow, that dress is stunning. That’s my favorite color combo, great print and gorgeous dress pattern. It’s the trifecta of sewing!

14. Pam says:

Congratulations on your daughter’s engagement- how exciting!! I bet your wheels are already turning for YOUR dress! This faux wrap is lovely. I especially like the fact that it doesn’t have a waistband- very flattering and perfect for Fall in the south.

15. Sherry says:

Great result. Loved the idea of joining the front and the underlining.

Love your dress and as always you look fabulous. The vacation started out a rough one but wow, it really picked up. Meeting Julia and then an engagement – how fun. Enjoy the wedding planning. Are you making her wedding dress?

17. Natalie says:

What a perfect place to showcase your new dress! Well done, it look comfortable and am sure you will get lots of wear from it. Congratulations on the engagement and look forward to seeing more creations.

18. lauriesannie says:

“They” say that cold showers are healthier. We had to take them for 6 weeks. I remain unconvinced. Your dress is lovely. Makes me want to make that pattern.

19. Mary Lynn says:

You and Julie look so cute! Sorry I missed your visit. Congratulations on the engagement! You and Julie were standing right where our daughter’s reception was a year ago April. The ceremony was overlooking the 18th green. it was awesome………no noseeums and no one hit a golf ball up there :-) Is the wedding in Charleston? If so, i can give you some names,etc.
    Cheers!

• Hi Mary Lynn! Julie told me you were out of town and I truly regret missing you this time!
      Your wedding sounds beautiful and what a perfect time of year! The wedding is in Spartanburg and most likely summer – nice and hot :)

20. ewellons says:

Cute dress. It’ll serve you well for almost the entire year. Thanks for the tips on the underlining. Now . . . on to MOB sewing!!!

21. very cute, love the print. I have been lining knit dresses lately and very satisfied with the comfort and wearability also.

22. Tia Dia says:

Congratulations on your daughter’s engagement! How exciting! And wow to you for putting together such a smashing dress in the middle of all the hoopla. Love your fabric choice!

23. Sue says:

Another fabulous dress. I discovered your blog about a month ago and I am really enjoying all your great outfits.

Do you have a list of the patterns you have used so far? I’ve seen so many that I am interested in and keep writing them down on slips of paper that I promptly lose.

Thanks

24. Vicki says:

How cute is that dress on you? Perfect.

25. Kerrybeth says:

I love the colors of the dress and this style looks fantastic on you. I want one!

26. Oh, I love this! The fabric’s amazing and the style is wonderful! As usual, your spot on fabric choice and pattern selection have resulted in a really beautiful, stylish addition to your wardrobe! I’m going to have to get over my iffy knit experience and tackle one again!

I do have a really stupid question (forgive me, all you experienced sewists!)…what is tricot? I went so far as to try to locate it on the Mood site, but it’s not listed under ‘knits’. I’m envisioning something very lightweight…but can’t for the life of me make out exactly what it is and where you find it! I love your idea of lining this dress – brilliant to make it fall without ‘clinging’!

It’s going to be an exciting year in your household!! :)

• I don’t know how I missed your comment, Cheryl – my apologies.
      I found the tricot at Mary Jo’s for 3.99/yard. It’s a lightweight lining that’s used for lingerie and some swimwear. Let me know if you need a sample and I’ll put one in the mail to you. :)

27. Julie Starr says:

Thank you, Sarah! What a thrill it was for me to meet my sewing idol! Hope you’re resting up after your “vacation”. Those can sure be exhausting. Another infinitely wearable dress you have made. I love the comment that called it “beach camo.” Botany Bay is the perfect backdrop for it.

28. Jjc says:

Absolutely lovely.

29. Cindy says:

Another gorgeous creation! You knock off these beauties so quickly that it’s breathtaking! The fit is perfect, the pattern placement puts plenty of lighter color up near your face, and the overall effect is amazing. This is one that definitely could be whipped off several times more in different fabrics and will go from year to year. Also, congratulations on your daughter’s engagement! If it’s to be a Spring wedding, might that brocade you recently showed us be for a ruffly mother of the bride dress? ;=D

NOTE: This Butterick pattern you made up apparently isn’t available in sizes above 16. *sob* However, it’s available in another brand up to size 28W, in the form of a newer version of Simplicity’s workhorse #2369, now updated to include a proper longer sleeve and renumbered as Simplicity 0216 for the current top of the pattern cabinet store displays.

• Thank you for the nice comment, Cindy! It’s looking like a late summer wedding so the brocade may be a little heavy. However…. spring weddings seem to be popping up so I may make it for a friend’s wedding.
      So glad you found a similar pattern – I really think you’ll like it!

30. Alethia says:

Okay, that’s it…I’m taking that pattern out, again, for the umpteenth time and I am gonna make it! I LOVE your fabric choice…makes it look like a completely different pattern!
    And, I lost my breath for a minute, thinking “20 DARTS!”, but when I realized the placement of the darts, I could breath again, lol! It just never dawned on me how many darts there could be at any given time between dress and lining, especially for a dress like this. I guess sometimes, we ( I) sometimes so oblivious to the actual details…just sew out of sheer motion/habit. Hmmm?
    BTW, I enjoyed reading this post, and CONGRATULATIONS on the engagement of your daughter! Who knows, maybe you’ll have the honor (or not) of making your daughter’s wedding gown..or, the bridesmaid dresses…if nothing else, your dress! ;)
    Thanks for sharing! Despite, the negative that may have occurred, this was very uplifting to read! ;)

• Thank you, Alethia! I should have made this pattern earlier, but I’m happy I finally got around to it ;) Julie’s dress fits her like a glove and the 20 darts are why. It’s really pretty.
      I will not be making my daughter’s dress, or the bridesmaids’ dresses, but am considering making mine.
      Many thanks for writing!

31. Charry says:

You definitely have to do another one of these. It looks fantastic on you! Great idea on removing the side zip too.

32. Amy says:

Woohoo! Beach vacation, daughter engaged, new dress, visit with a sewing friend and superstar. Congrats!

What a great holiday with plenty going on and still managing to make a wonderful dress!

[crawling out from under my pile of life] Lovely shots of you in another great dress, I love the raglan shoulder lines. Lovely to read of all the (mostly) great happenings in your neck of the woods. PS I am still plotting a ribbon skirt…but in a smaller size…getting there…slowly!

35. Jean says:

What a week you have had and I can’t believe that you somehow found time to sew this lovely dress. It looks very similar to McCalls 6163. Great to see two of my favourite sewing idols meet up too, and congratulations on your daughter’s engagement. I can see lots of sewing on the horizon.

• Hi Jean! Several readers have mentioned the similarities between this pattern and McCalls 6163 :) Many thanks for your comment and congratulations. Meeting Julie was great fun and I too, see lots of sewing coming up!

36. Lovely wrap dress in a pretty print. How fun to meet up with an online sewing friend. You two coordinate well!

37. AllisonC says:

Great dress, I love that the fabric coordinates with your photoshoot background!

38. Barbara Russel says:

I love the dress, BUT Botany Bay is now on my “bucket list” of places to visit. WOW

39. danvillegirl says:

I avoid wrap dresses like the plague; my last attempt was my usual wadder! I like the lines of this dress pattern and tempted to give this one a try.

40. I almost never leave remarks, but i did some searching and
    wound up here Butterick 5873 | Goodbye Valentino. And I do have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind.
    Is it just me or does it look as if like some
    of the responses look as if they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on other sites, I’d like to keep up with anything new you
    have to post. Would you list of every one of all your public pages like your
    Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

• Hi there sri lankan cuisine!
      Hmmmm…… I believe those who comment on my blog are still alive and well …… don’t see any brain dead responses, maybe confusion here and there due to my lack of details or the need for more information.
      You can find me on the Mood Sewing Network page and Facebook.

Congrats on your daughter’s engagement– how exciting! And I’m glad that the week got a little better after the water heater incident (that’s not fun at all)! You and Julie look so lovely in your handmade duds! 20 darts?!?!?! Wow!

42. ME says:

Hi ,
    I love your blog as I have just re entered the world of garment sewing . Do you have any good sources for ideas on when & what to line & types of lining ??? I know how to line , but I’m confused as to when & what types of fabrics require a lining for better styling ?
    Thx

43. sewmanju says:

Hi Sarah, congrats on a beautiful dress and the exciting news about your daughter. And how nice to see you and Julie together both looking stunning.

• Hi Manju! Thank you so much for your comment. The wedding news is quite exciting and I’ve hit the ground running tyring to get plans in place.
      Meeting Julie was a thrill! We had great fun together :)

44. Dawn says:

Having just started blogging myself I have Just come across your wonderful blog. Love it, and this dress! Looks like a pro photo shoot :)!