Ribbon Skirt Conclusion!

Completed ribbon skirt

I originally planned a three part Sew-a-Long for the Ribbon Skirt, but I discovered after sewing the ribbons in place the rest is simple enough to complete in a single post, thanks to Julie Starr.

For newcomers to the Sew-a-Long, everything you need to know is located HERE.

PART TWO:

If you have marked and attached all rows carefully, the side seams should match at each ribbon row.

12.  Press each completed section and with right sides facing, pin and sew the front to the back at the right side seam.

13.  Finish the seam allowances as desired.  Julie serged her seam allowances and pressed the seam open while Sarah bound the edges.  A press ham was necessary for this curved seam.

Moment of truth!  How did you do?

14.  Pin and sew the left side seam from the zipper placement dot to the lower hem.

15.  Finish seam allowances as desired.

16.  Staystitch the waistline 1/2″ from upper edge.

17.  Insert an invisible zipper in the left side seam.

18.  Add waistline facings as your pattern directs and finish with a hook and eye above the zipper. (Sarah faced the waistline with a matching ribbon to the top row.)

Wear your skirt and enjoy all the oohs and aahs!! (Dry clean only!)  Julie Starr

___________________________

Well, I adore my skirt!

I let a friend try mine on this morning and have promised to make one for her.

I am amazed that the ribbons do not wrinkle after sitting! Always nice and crisp :)

Now that you have all of the basic instructions, I’ll briefly describe my skirt and sewing experience.

________________________________

• You may notice a couple of extra rows of ribbon in my skirt compared to Julie’s.   I bought my ribbon from two different sources. I discovered upon marking the layers that one brand was slightly smaller than  1 1/2″. It was 1 3/8″.  To ensure proper layering, I reduced the distance between the layers by 1/8 inch making it necessary to add a couple of  extra rows.I planned to make a skirt with four colors until I saw the lavender ribbon on top of my neatly arranged ribbons on the front side. Adding a new color completely changed the layout and I stitched the front trouble-free.
  • When I reached the back I was short on the lavender by one row. Since I had added extra rows I was short of every color!  As it turned out I had to add one row of a 6th color to make it work, and fortunately I love the ever changing hues.
  • So…… lay out both front and back before stitching :)
  • I cut my skirt out a size larger as instructed but it was still a little large after attaching the ribbons resulting in 1 inch seams.
  • Otherwise I followed Julie’s fine instructions step-by-step for an excellent result!

Many of you have informed me of your color choices adding up to quite a variety! I so look forward to seeing your completed ribbon skirt and would enjoy receiving an email with your photo at goodbyevalentino@gmail.com . Please let me know if I have permission to share your photo on my blog.

I guess all good things must come to an end and so it is with my first Sew-a-Long. A thousand thanks to Julie Starr for sharing her ingenious creative project with us through an excellent tutorial. Dear Readers, I hope you will enjoy this fun project as much as I have and look forward to sharing another Sew-a-Long with you again sometime.

IMG_0381Best wishes to all!

This entry was posted in Ribbon Skirt, Ribbon Skirt, sewing blog, Sewing Skirts, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to Ribbon Skirt Conclusion!

1. Lauren says:

I think I like the ribbon skirt with blouse # 2, but as cute as it is, I think I would rather see this technique on a throw pillow. I would feel like I am all wrapped up like a kid’s birthday gift. Work-womanship looks fabulous. No getting away with that….it is beautifully made.

2. Meredith P says:

Looks fabulous and beautifully made. Thanks to you and Julie for hosting.

3. Linda B. says:

Beautifully made and looks gorgeous on you! Your friend is very lucky to have you to make one for her!!!

4. Sarah Ioannides says:

Hi! Shall I announce myself and testify that I love it too..or do you think it better to keep them guessing? I am indeed lucky. Great post, lovely pictures though the material is much more fabulous in real life than it looked online.

Sent from my iPhone

5. opal says:

This is gorgeous and it looks good on you. I love the colors.

6. Amanda S. says:

I love this series! Thanks so much for sharing!

7. Irene says:

Oh, this is beautiful! Lovely, lovely skirt! I’m really tempted to make one, just because, but I’m afraid that I would end up not wearing it. Must have a serious think on this one.

8. Alethia says:

That is one beautiful skirt!

I can’t wait to see what your readers have created! Your skirt is so attractive – a great summer fashion!

10. poppykettle says:

Such great pastel colours for summer! So simple, yet so effective. It looks great :) And I’m really loving the shape of the ruffle on your blouse!

What soft and pretty colors for summer…great outcome for this fun project!

12. Oksana says:

It’s amazing!
    A great pity here in Russia I can not find such ribbon.

13. what a great result, I had never seen anything like this before you started this series. So summery, very pretty.

14. Love your combination of ribbon colors :)

15. Lexley- Brisbane AU says:

Stunning and the skirt is lovely too!!!! How do you do your invisible zips? do you sew the seam first or after u have inserted the zip?

16. Julie Starr says:

What a fun collaboration this has been, Sarah! I’m looking so forward to seeing the skirts your readers have created.

17. JJP says:

Your skirt is so lovely! These colours are so summery! For my part I’m still waiting to receive my ribbons ;-)
    Have a great day!

18. Mary Carmen Sánchez Carrera says:

really beautiful!!!

19. Ernestine says:

Great work on this! Very pretty and perfect for summer!

Your skirt looks stunning and such pretty summer colours. Our ribbons have finally arrived and we do have an ASG meeting on Saturday, wonder if we can make our skirts in that time!

• Thank you, Sharon! I’m not sure how long you get together but I believe you should be able to get the skirts cut out and the ribbon attached. This would be so fun to do together in a group :)

21. Almeda says:

Love!!! Such a beautiful, classy skirt. Every ‘lady’ should have one of these in their closet. Now we know how. :) Thanks for sharing. Amazing job!

This is FABULOUS! I love it so much! You’ve really combined colors in a beautiful way!

23. Cindy says:

Not only do I think this skirt is spectacular, but the colors you chose are so flattering! Such a unique wardrobe piece! Thank you so much for sharing your and Julie’s TNT method and fine finishing tips with us all. I continue to be amazed and so grateful for your generosity in sharing your techniques and resources with us. God bless.

24. Lynn B says:

I love this skirt, it looks amazing on you, so very pretty and perfect with either blouse.
    I just found your blog after looking at one of your reviews on pattern review, I am sure I will visit again!

25. missmarys says:

WOW! so time consuming and the results are beautiful. I love the seams. Amazing job. Ps. You and the Renegade Seamstress have really inspired me to take a second look as some of my clothing that I’m growing out of. So yesterday I made a skirt out of my dress. It works, I’ll just say that. It’s here http://wp.me/p1dbnt-12a
    Mary

• Thank you, Mary – it wasn’t as time consuming as one might think! I am always inspired to keep on sewing when I learn I’ve inspired someone else. I too, love Beth from the Renegade Seamstress – she is a true inspiration to me :)

26. Jjc says:

Absolutely gorgeous.

27. velosewer says:

Love your very own version of the ribbon skirt.

28. Urbanite says:

Lovely and summery. Somehow I must have missed this: how did you handle the darts?

• Thank you, Urbanite. Maybe this should have been in the tutorial :) I sew both front and back darts before applying the ribbon. Many thanks for bringing this detail to my attention.

What a fun project! Many thanks to you and Julie for all of your hard work in making this possible for all of us who have coveted Julie’s skirt. I’ll send you a pic of mine later today. I plan to wear it out to dinner tonight so will try to get my husband to take one.

It really wasn’t a very time-consuming endeavor. I am sometimes notorious for eyeballing things — but this did require exact measuring and marking. I held my breath when the zipper went in and the seams were joined — and all that careful marking paid off!

You’re very generous to agree to make your friend one. It would be a nice gift — for someone VERY special, say a friend who shared her winning powerball ticket with you!

30. Oh wonderful, Cissie! I’m glad you found the tutorial helpful and I cannot wait to see your skirt. Have a nice time at dinner :) :)

Wow! your ribbons skirt is divine!! I love the shading of colours together. Just beautiful :)

32. sbzurenda says:

I adore the skirt, too!

33. Jeannine says:

Beautiful skirt and right on trend. This skirt reminded me immediately of a couple of my favorite skirts from White House Black Market. Classic, gorgeous and chic:) Girl, you have done it again!

34. Pingback: Copycat Challenge – The Big Reveal! | Peneloping