Vogue 8904

Recently on Facebook, Mood Fabrics posed the following question to its followers:

When do you put aside summer sewing and move on to fall and winter apparel? Is July too soon to think about cool-weather clothes?

I must admit I have actually begun to think about my Fall wardrobe in July for the first time ever. I have even begun to look at Fall Runway shows on Style.com and even started a Mood Fall board, but……… hasn’t summer just begun?

I may develop the discipline to sew a season ahead one day, but for now I’m sewing in the moment.

As a confessed blue and white striped addict, I couldn’t pass up this light weight navy and white striped jersey from Mood Fabrics……. and I sure couldn’t pass up the new Marcy Tilton Vogue pattern. It just looked like so much fun!

I was delighted to discover the dress was as fun to sew as I thought, and I made it in a day.

After cutting two main front and back pieces, the “shingles” are layered and stitched one by one working from the bottom towards the top.

The pattern is designed to fit with  negative ease which slightly scared me, but the additional shingled layers of fabric disguise the body hugging under layer.

The directions state to leave the raw edges exposed, but I turned and machine-hemmed all of the layers adding another 30 minutes to the project. Since my fabric was lightweight I didn’t want to chance the edges curling.

The back of my new summer dress is layered identically to the front,

and with over 9 weeks of summer left, I’m sure lots of opportunities for wear will arise.

But I must say……. if any sewing excited me about the fall, it was this dress. Why?

I picture the longer sleeve rendition in a cool weather jersey bringing me a step closer to fall sewing ……possibly before September 22!

V8904 - long sleeve

This entry was posted in Mood Fabrics, sewing blogs, Sewing Dresses, sewing patterns, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

125 Responses to Vogue 8904

1. Mary Lynn says:

That looks so cute on you! One does need a great figure to do diagonal stripes! Going back to
    a previous post….. I love the J McLaughlin dress prints; I think they were rayon with a bit of spandex (had to have a young customer read me the label !) Do you have any idea where to find that fabric? The Freshfields store here at Kiawah is having a sale (mostly 2,4,6) don’t know about the King Street store.

• Thank you, Mary Lynn! I too LOVE the J McLaughlin fabric. I was once told by a salesperson there that they use a French spandex. I’ve looked online at the Spandex House and saw a couple of fabrics that could pass for J Mc fabric but not much. If you ever find any please let me know! ………. and it’s a good thing I’m not in the Charleston area right now …….. those savings get me every time :)

2. mzsweetpea says:

Well where do I begin….Oh yes, fabulous dress! And yes a nice dark stripe with sleeves would be an excellent investment into FALL sewing. When we start getting darker, heavier linens, and some tropical weight wools in WAECHTER’S FINE FABRICS….I start thinking about fall…..I’m sort of into vests this year….not your typical one’s. There was a good blog on Sewing Workshop’s site regarding a CUTE vest…also an older blog on Marci Tilton’s site…..want to make both of them, in a heavy linen…since I’ll be able too wear till Dec. up here in the Mts. during the day….LAURA CASEY

3. Jackie says:

Very cute knit dress! As always, fits you perfectly. I would love to have the fall version with the 3/4 sleeve so I must learn to sew with knits. I have acquired so much information from reading your blog and the responses of your friends. The comments are a wealth of information.
    Looking forward to seeing your fall version.
    Jackie

4. Oh my gosh. I just love this. GREAT job.

5. lakaribane says:

This is not helping my sewing ADD at all, LOL! I was unconvinced by the pattern envelop but bought it anyway. And now your version has me sold. I think you can make it summery with light colors or more Fall (Winter?) like with darker stripes. I vote for you to make a 2nd version. That’s my New Law: Minimum 2 if it turned out great.

• ……. and what a great law! It makes for easier sewing too! I was at a party last night and saw this dress (RTW) in a dark pink and navy. Speaking of cute……! Many thanks for writing :)

6. yyyz girl says:

Great dress and it looks so perfect on you. I’ve been considering the pattern and now will purchase it based on your review. I’ve been to Waechter’s during a trip to the south east. How I wish we had a shop like that in Chicago! Again, great dress …. you inspire me!

7. Lynn Long says:

What a fabulous dress! This might be my favorite one.

8. You know, I always look forward to seeing your newest sewing projects and this one was no exception!! I love the stripes. I might have to try this one, too. Maybe I’ll use the fabric from an existing garment and call it a refashion.
    You look wonderful as usual!
    Beth

9. Miriam says:

Are you getting younger? I tell you you know how to dress. I love seeing what you come up with. Love this dress, it’s so cute and sporty, does make you look young. Thanks for the inspiration.

• LOL! Yes, I started counting backwards several years ago :) …… but this is a fun little dress and I’m tempted to make another summer dress before moving on to fall! Many thanks for you comment.

10. Jeannie says:

Just perfect for summer and for you! Love the asymmetry. And the darker stripes for fall?? Even better!
    Jeannie

11. Martha says:

Love, love, love your choice of fabric for a fabulous dress! That pattern is sitting *on top* in my sewing room, but I’m still fearful of that negative ease thing for my lumps and bumps. You look terrific.

12. Alethia says:

I love this! Gotta try it!

13. Jan says:

Darling! Love it – congrats!

14. Robyn Seymour says:

I love your style, I am more jeans a boots but am inspired by your looks. You look great by the way!

This is so pretty and perfect for summer. Great job again, Shannon, you make the best dresses.

16. love it, perfect fabric choice

17. Sam says:

What a great dress! It looks perfect on you. Can’t wait to see your cooler weather version some time in the future too.

18. Connie says:

I love this dress. I saw it made by another blogger too in a different length and on a very different body type, it still looked great. I think it might be more versatile than it would appear.

• I agree with you, Connie in that this is a versatile pattern. Several people of varying body types have made this dress on the PR website in different lengths and fabrics. I think my next dress could look like a completely different pattern. Many thanks for writing :)

19. Pam says:

I love that dress. It’s such a great on trend design and is sooo flattering. I won’t start thinking about Fall sewing until I finish my Ribbon Skirt- you can check my progress on my blog. Thanks so much for hosting the sew along.

20. Shannon says:

What a fabulous dress! I love how the back is just as interesting as the front. I think I’m going to have to get this pattern now. The fall version looks like it would be well worth making, too.

21. Almeda says:

Only two words to describe this lovely summer dress. “ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS”!!! :)

22. Shams says:

Very cute as a summer dress!

23. Joyce Love says:

Love it! What a great dress & it looks fabulous on you, as all your garments do!

24. sewmanju says:

First love your version. Perfect for summer and looks great on you. Second great minds must think alike because I am currently sewing this dress but as you mentioned, even though we are enjoying a rare heat wave, I am also thinking of cooler weather sewing (as you will see from my version when finished!) maybe because I have had my holiday I am now thinking of cooler weather?

25. Deborah says:

Thank you for posting this. I checked out this pattern online this a.m. Quite honestly, I passed this one by at first because the emaciated model did not make the dress look good. Wonderful to see a healthy woman wear this lovely style.

26. Cindy says:

I am BLOWN AWAY! You have such a good eye for pairing fabric with pattern! I’ve looked at this pattern and could only see how a solid wouldn’t really bring out the unusual design lines and a print could obfuscate them. But stripes! And dramatically light/dark ones to boot! What an outstanding choice to pop those design lines to maximum strength and visual interest. And bonus points for achieving such a slimming look! Another timess treasure for sure.

27. Teri says:

Thank you so much for making up this pattern Sarah! I have it, and the negative ease has given me pause. Your version is absolutely adorable. LOVE IT! I think I will start looking for fabric for mine….oh, and I am still all about summer sewing.

• Thank you,Teri! I was at a casual party last night and someone was wearing this dress (RTW pink and navy stripe) in a much looser fit. It was so cute! I might make another one in a larger size :)

28. sewexhausted says:

What a great dress! And I love the blue and white stripes. Yesterday I cut out a winter coat BUT I also finished a halter sundress for my daughter this week. So, I guess I am doing a mixture. But, lacking a snowy locale my winter sewing will be pretty limited! ~Laurie

29. Suzanne Parker says:

That looks so great! It looks good on you and what a pattern. Too much fun. I too like blue and white anything.

30. ewellons says:

Have I gushed enough about how cute this dress is???!!! I’m not ashamed to copy — but may have to wait til next year before doing so. Who would have ever bought this pattern based on the envelope picture? I’m thinking about a fall version — but want to see what you do first!

31. Aileen says:

Love this. You look great. Spanky

Sent from my iPad

32. lisa g says:

another knockout dress! love this. i was pretty underwhelmed by the pattern envelope, but your version is great!

33. Maggie Edger says:

Love. Love. Love. This dress is so interesting. I can see why you wanted to make it. Can’t wait to see the fall/winter version. A Maggie

34. Joan says:

Terrific interpretation of the pattern, great fit, super flattering on you!

May I ask: did the sleeveless version come with a neck band or neckline facing? It appears your bodice is faced, which looks clean and elegant with your stripes layout. Also, did you use a Steam a Seam when you turned under all your raw edges? They look nice and smooth, no rippled hems to detract from the layered effect.

Any fit challenges for you?

I purchased (shame on me) this same style in a black matte jersey from Chico’s back in April — a cute basic, and very flattering. But how much better it is to sew it oneself in an interesting layout of stripes!

• Hi Joan! I faced the sleeves and neckline using the band pattern pieces. I may follow the instructions next time but I liked this look and it was easier for me. Indeed I used Steam-a-Seam to stabilize the seams before stitching! Many thanks for writing! :)

35. Tia Dia says:

This is an amazing dress! I completely passed over this pattern because the model on Vogue’s website scared me off in her extreme size. But your version is completely stunning! I’ve actually ordered the pattern. Can’t wait to see your long-sleeved version!

Very eye-catching! What a fun dress in blue and white – with lots of potential in long sleeves for Fall. Can’t wait to see what colors you choose… Very good idea to finish those raw edges – it just makes it look more refined!

37. Natalie says:

Have been looking at your posts for a while and quite an inspiration! Love all your projects and information. This dress is just lovely.

38. Valerie says:

The dress (and you) look fabulous. Not sure I have the figure for this one *sigh*

39. sewbusylizzy says:

I really love this in the blue stripe, it’s looks so summery & fresh!
    I ordered this last week from BMV – I fell in love with the design when it was released.
    Love this version. Suits you perfectly.

40. Joy says:

That is my favorite dress of all you have made! I will buy that pattern immediately! I love stripes too, and they make the dress. Was the fabric expensive? Oh, I just remembered, you get Mood for free. I’ve never ordered anything from them. Guess I better check them out.
    Did you have any fitting issues with the pattern?
    Hugs, Joy

41. Vicki says:

Looks fabulous on you! Love the one colour stripe.

Love your dress and the use of stripes, very cheeky dress that looks amazing on you.

43. Cecil says:

I didn’t see the beauty of this pattern until seeing your dress. Just started following your blog and love your choices in both fabrics and style. Beautiful!

44. Dawn Redmond says:

I want to make a dress like yours for my daughter. I was wondering how wide are the stiripes on yours.? I’ll need to order the fabric and I thought it might help to know. It’s just a stunning dress and looks so good on you!

45. ZoSews says:

Fantastic dress! This is a definite winner on you.

46. Debra Hewitt says:

I love your dress! You look fabulous!

47. Sheila says:

Awesome dress…. Totally love it.

48. Julie Starr says:

You’ve really done perfect justice to this pattern. I didn’t think the shingling on the back would be worth the extra effort but after seeing yours I’ve definitely changed my mind. Can’t wait to do a long sleeved version for fall.

49. Linda Craig says:

Wow, I would pass this pattern by, Vogue should use you! Terrific job & you look fabulous. What a cute dress.

50. Victoria says:

You look absolutely gorgeous Lady!

I can’t get over this dress! It’s just so perfect! Summer is my favorite season by a long shot, so I’ll be really reluctant to give up summer sewing in favor of fall clothes. But this dress really takes the cake– it’s just so fabulous!

52. Gjeometry says:

Oh, I LOVED this Vogue pattern when it came out, and have not yet seen anybody sew it up. Yours is gorgeous. Love how the stripes create their own unique design with the pattern pieces crossing over that way. Just lovely.

53. Zurenda says:

What a chic dress. I think your next call is meddling, for sure

54. Wow! Not only is this a very attractive dress, but this fits you beautifully. Another impressive dress!

55. Hannah says:

This is so cool! I’m wondering what would happen if you oriented the stripes a little off the vertical instead of a little off the horizontal, and then maybe used horizontal stripes for the underneath part. But I also love the bandage dress effect you have going on. You should post it in the sewing community on Kollabora!

56. Oh, I LOVE this dress on you! Love the stripe – and the fit is terrific. I’d seen this pattern, but didn’t have your vision…I think it’s a great look the way you made it. Doing something similar for the fall – perfect!

Enjoy!

57. Rosalia says:

You definitely inspired to make my own version in red, got the fabric this week. Question, do you usually prewash your fabric before sewing? Love the color and pattern, thanks for the inspiration!

• Please forgive me for not answering your question, Rosalia -I just aw this comment. I almost always prewash my fabrics before sewing and I certainly did with this one! I hope you were pleased with your red dress!

58. jillybe says:

Oh my gosh you ROCKED this pattern! Or this pattern and that fabric rock your curves! Or something – a huge win at any rate! I have this pattern and just haven’t been able to convince myself that it will a) look good on my body and b) that I’ll actually get use out of it…..but I don’t know – your fabulous version puts it back on the list for me….

59. AndiSocial says:

That dress is SO CUTE!!!! Well done!

60. Joyce Lee-W says:

Returning to sewing after many years away. Your blog is inspiring and helpful. Wanted to make this dress, but had concerns over the raw edges and the possibility of their curling. You gave me “permission” to hem them, solving the problem. I also think that raw edges diminish the quality look of a finished product, even though I know that Marcie Tilton and others do it. THanks. Now to figure out the fit. I don’t have your figure, darn it!!!

• Hi Joyce!
      Thank you so much for your comment! This dress is really easy but it is a tight fit. I was at a party several weeks ago and a twenty-something-year-old woman was wearing this dress (RTW) in a much looser fit. It was so cute that I’ve decided to make my next one larger. Her’s was in pink and navy stripes.
      Have fun and good luck!

61. Pingback: Vogue Fall 2013 Release | Lin3arossa

62. susanne says:

Go to the Anthropologie website and look at the Stripeway Column Dress. I plan to use this pattern to make a knockoff of that dress. Seeing your success with this pattern is a real inspiration. Thanks!

63. Jan says:

Very nice dress! If you were to make it a looser fit would it be just one size up from the size you made with negative ease? Love the stripes and does the pattern layout give the instructions for the stripes? Thanks.

64. Rosalia says:

Love this dress! What did you use to transfer the markings to the front & back? I am getting ready to work on this pattern and would like to know how you handled this process. Also you mentioned you used facings and not binding for the neck & arm openings? Would appreciate greatly you sharing this process, so that maybe my dress can look half as good as yours! Thanks a bunch!

• Rosalia,
      I missed your comment and am so sorry about that. I used a very light hand with a rotary marker and non-waxed tracing paper in a pale color. I discovered sewing the dress that the notches truly help with the placement and I’m not sure if the tracing is necessary.
      Hope I’m not too late and hope your dress turns out just the way you want it too!

65. Jean says:

I had just bought this pattern a few days before I saw your posting so this spurred me on. I was having my fabric cut at Mood when the cutter told me the lady next to me also asked for 3 1/4 yards. We were both buying for the same pattern and discussed this posting! Thanks for inspiring us.
    It is an extra bonus for me to read your references to SC. I lived there for my high school and college years, Irmo and USC-Cola. Loved it!

• What a funny coincidence!
      Though I ‘ve never lived in Columbia, one of my daughters just moved there. Hubby went to USC Law School. It’s nice and hot but a fun city :)
      Good luck with the dress – I hope you like sewing this pattern as much as I did and many thanks for writing!

66. Jennifer says:

I love the fabric choice and placement on this dress. I just picked up this pattern and I can’t wait to try it. You gave me inspiration for a summer dress as well!

67. Pingback: Shingled Jersey Dress | Mood Sewing Network

68. Pingback: Vogue 8904 (No. 2) | Goodbye Valentino

69. Ro says:

Would it be foolish to try this pattern, as a new sewer? I just love the fabric u used!