Vogue 2864 Revisited

Top Ten Reasons To Sew Another Summer Dress

10. The last one was too big.

9. I’m eager to make another muslin.

8. Too hot to wear anything else.

7 I’m on a quest to perfect the hand-picked zipper technique.

6. No buttons or buttonholes to sew.

5 Fabric requirement almost the same as a top.

4. Slim silhouette makes me look taller.

3. Cleaned out closet and the emptiness is disturbing.

2. Need something new to wear for my 30th wedding anniversary today. (You read that correctly.)

And the number one reason to sew another dress ………………

I couldn’t pass up this beautiful  Oscar de la Renta cotton from Mood Fabrics!

FC12866 large Boy, did I fall hard for this designer cotton twill in my favorite color! It is one of the first fabrics I pinned on my Mood Board since Mood launched is great new website.

After making my last dress too big, I was determined to get the Vogue 2864 pattern right on my second try, and I believe I did.

No carelessness this time!

photo-2

Before I cut the first snip, I drove to JoAnn Fabrics and bought the only alteration book in the store, The Complete Photo Guide to PERFECT FITTING by Sarah Veblen. I own others but desired a fresh approach and I got one through applying the principles of WEDGES.

An open wedge cut in the front bodice pattern provided additional length allowing it to hang straight.

photo-11

Two closed wedges in the neckline eliminated the gaping,

photo-12

and cutting the final closed wedge at the waistline reduced the bulk in the back. I also cut the pattern one size smaller.

photo-6

I’ve been enlightened by these easy alteration techniques!

photo-4The front of the dress is embellished with medallions I received in Aunt Maggie’s surprise box. Clorox worked wonders on the yellowish beige appliqués in less than 30 minutes which I attached by both hand and machine.

In the beginning I thought I needed to justify making yet another summer dress since I have plenty. But ultimately it wasn’t about the dress as much as it was about achievement and conquering my shortcomings. The outcome is one of my favorite dresses ever.

“Is that a Lilly Pulitzer you’re wearing? “

photo-3 (1)

“No, it’s Oscar de la Renta.”

This entry was posted in Lilly Pulitzer, Mood Fabrics, sewing blog, sewing blogs, sewing patterns, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to Vogue 2864 Revisited

1. Irene says:

Lovely, lovely dress! It certainly does pay to work through fit issues (I keep telling myself this), because the result is always well worth it. Those medallions are the perfect compliment.

2. Mrs K says:

I love your dress and it fits you so well. I made a similar dress years ago with a lace strip down the center front. I also have Sarah’s book – love it.

3. Kathie Bennett says:

Beautiful dress for a 30 year anniversary celebration!

4. Tia Dia says:

Love this! And your countdown of reasons at the beginning of this post was so good that I’m going to memorize it! And happy happy anniversary today! Here’s to many more good ones!

5. caroline lazzara says:

Happy Anniversary! Beautiful dress……………

6. Jstarr4250 says:

Happy anniversary, Sarah! Surely 3-0 must have been a typo!! Another beautiful summer dress!

7. Marjorie Devlin says:

Love your dress! Congratulations on 20 years, we just celebrated our 30 yesterday!

This is seriously pretty! I really hope you make multiples of this perfected pattern– it’s fabulous on you!

9. Judi says:

Beautiful dress! The appliques look like they were designed just for that fabric.,,perfect!!!

10. “Is that a Lilly Pulitzer you’re wearing? “…“No, it’s Oscar de la Renta.” LOVE IT…LOL!

Big fan of that fabric! This would make a beautiful sheath dress…! I love the color. This one definitely solves most of your fit issues – well done!

• BTW…did you line this dress? Looking at the Mood site, the fabric appears to be a bit heavier than the classic Lilly cotton sheaths – would you say that’s accurate? Wondering how you finished this pretty dress on the inside if you didn’t line it. That’s something I’m struggling with – and not everything lends itself to being lined ;) Thanks!

• Thank you, Cheryl!
        I lined the dress with china silk from Mood. I should have included this in the post. The pattern calls for the bodice only to be lined but you’re right – The fabric is a little heavier than the NEW Lillly sheaths for sure, and slightly heavier than the classic LP dresses. I felt it needed a full lining and believe I made the right decision. :)

11. Shams says:

A very pretty dress!

12. Kay says:

It is beautiful, and looks lovely on you!
    Congratulations on 30 yrs of marriage. I will be married 30 years in December!

13. love the colour and the fit is better – pretty dress Happy 30th Anniversary – enjoy your day

14. Laury Shepherd says:

Very cute post! I really like the dress on you.

15. Alex in California says:

“Is that a Lilly Pulitzer you’re wearing?” Lilly Pulitzer wishes (no disrepect to the departed).

16. June says:

Oscar for the win! Congrats on the lovely dress and also on the wedding anniversary! You must have been a child bride. :)

17. Sewer says:

Looks great (fit and fabrication). Thanks for the tips.

18. artattack024 says:

Happy anny and cute, cute dress. How about “because I want to” for a reason. It’s always good enough for me!

19. Margy Houtz says:

Gorgeous dress! Of course you needed another!

20. Alethia says:

Yo go girl!! You’ve done it again!!! Beautifully done on creating the perfect fit; and, love what you did with the medallions. BTW, CONGRATULATIONS and Happy Anniversary!!

21. dara says:

beautiful dress! keep sewing even if you can’t think of a reason!!

22. Vicki says:

Pretty! Happy anniversary.

OMG! I love this dress! I am a true believer that we can NEVER have enough clothes! Cleaning out the closet and replacing items is therapeutic exercise for my brain!

24. Sandra says:

Gorgeous dress and Happy Anniversary! I keep sewing because I find it
    therapeutic no matter how many clothes I have.

25. Marguerite says:

Beautiful! Happy Anniversary too. Interesting wedge technique you describe. I was taught to sew by my aunt who used a similar technique to enlarge or reduce pattern sizes. It was simple but it worked. Sometimes the newer tips and ideas on how to alter get a little too technical and become a chore. Love all your posts and projects.

26. lisa g says:

i’m pretty sure you don’t need a reason to make a new dress! fabulous job, i really love the fabric. it always feels good to work out fit issues; i recently picked up that book and have found it very useful!

27. Kyle says:

lol, love your sense of humor!
    congrats on 30 years!

28. New visitor here…That dress looks so great! And Happy Anniversary! -Nizzy

Oh yes…the fabric, medallions and closer fit all work to make a great dress on you! I have the Sarah Veblen e-book version on my iPad ….thinking I might lash out and get the hardcopy…as much as I like the transportability on the iPad…It’s still easier to look at a book in the midst of fitting. I took one of Sarah V’s FBA classes via PR…and still look over the notes, every time I need to do an FBA. Congratulations on your “pearl” (30th) Anniversary!

• Thanks so much, Cherry Pix! Now why didn’t I think to download this book??? So glad you talked Sharon into making a ribbon skirt ;)

• CherryPix says:

Sharon’s being doing some excellent sleuthing for nice ribbon in Australia!!!….awaiting a sample card.

I like the ease of grabbing a book from the shelf in the midst of a fitting conundrum…takes me too long to hunt for what I want on the e-book version due to limited indexing capabilities. On the other hand, the e-book version is good for ‘blowing up’ pictures, to get a look at details. I’m more likely to browse through the e-book version when I’m on a plane or waiting somewhere….people think I’m nuts, but I really do find sewing books/Threads archives fascinating to read….and I do actually absorb things…more than I realise at the time!! Wish that happened as easily with other topics!! (ahem)

30. Jackie says:

Wonderful post! Dress makes you look 30. I really enjoy following your blog!!

31. that is my favorite color !!! love it, looks perfect for summer.

Gorgeous dress to wear for your 30th Anniversary, congratulations. I have been doing those wedges to my patterns for years, they are my standard adjustments and even though I have Sarah’s e-book on my Ipad I haven’t got too far in reading it.

33. Sigrid says:

Beautiful dress. Congratulations on your anniversary.

Oh, it’s great!! Those medallions on the front work beautifully and do, indeed, give it a Lily look, just even better!
    Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!

35. sewellen says:

you nailed it! Another winner, great fit. Congrats on your anniversary!

• Thank you, Sewellen! I just left a comment for you only I realize it was for an older post. At any rate I bought the Vogue pattern you just pulled out from the back of your closet. Hope I can make it!

36. Sarah says:

Would you recommend the Veblen book? I can understand how to add or take away fabric but matching up to other parts of the garment having done so always remains a mystery to me.

• Hi Sarah,
      I have not read all the way through the book or used it for any alterations other than this. However I found her very understandable. Other readers who have this book really like it!

37. No shortage of good reasons – a very flattering summer look on you! Thank you for the information on the book; I’m intrigued to learn more about the wedge method of pattern alteration.

38. Gorgeous…can’t believe you are celebrating 30th Anniversary!!!! Wonderful – congratulations! You look great in this dress too. You are incredible, Sarah!

Congratulations! and please accept these very happy anniversary wishes from me :) Your dress looks wonderful.

40. You look stunning! That color is beautiful on you, and I love the appliques! Happy anniversary :)

41. Lynn says:

I’ve been enjoying your blog for several month since a sewing friend tipped me off. You mentioned your library of fit books and wondered if you have Fit for Real People by Pati Palmer & Marta Alto.
    They also do fabulous workshops (sewing vacations) in Portland, OR. Classes are held in a giant fabric store! Could it get any better! Happy sewing.

• Hi Lynn! I don’t have this book but I’ve tried some of their McCall’s patterns. A sewing vacation in OR sounds heavenly…. I’ll check out their schedule. Thanks so much for the comment! :)