Superfly!

“You look like you’re still on vacation!”

IMG_2049I know – I’m just in denial. My vacation was a blast.

If this Superfly fabric by Sis Boom doesn’t make me feel like I’m still on vacation then nothing will! I only wish I had made this easy summer dress before I went on vacation rather than after :)

Shall I blame it on Tia Dia of Mezzo Couture?  Her recent Vogue 2864 dress was exactly the pattern I wanted to try- a relatively fitted empire waist shift. I ordered the OOP pattern from Etsy before I finished reading her post, and it was waiting on me when I returned home last week.

il_fullxfull.411911743_9u6l

Would I have bought this dress I made? Probably not, but I will make the pattern again! Due to my haste, the dress turned out slightly too big which I should have noticed in the muslin. So thrilled to be back at the sewing machine I rushed through the muslin – always a big mistake. Take a look below.

IMG_2039

But if I stand with perfect posture it fits much better!

Today while listening to a podcast interview with Kenneth King, I learned the couture designer and teacher makes at least two muslins before proceeding with the fashion fabric.

My dress is certainly fun but I believe it could have been a smashing success if I had taken the time to properly adjust the muslin.

While I’m not going to let a couple of wrinkles stop me from enjoying the fruits of my labor, I vow to never cut into my fashion fabric again without a perfectly fitting muslin.

Lesson learned – onto the next!

Until soon :)

This entry was posted in Kenneth King, sewing blog, sewing blogs, sewing clothes, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to Superfly!

1. Denny Kenny says:

Such a gorgeous dress…such lovely fabric……such a small mistake that could have been adjusted on the paper pattern and muslin…..I feel your pain! Been there, done that myself.

2. Susan Morton says:

The dress looks fabulous on you! Love reading your blogs! I love sewing my own clothes and you inspire me! What is the fabric content of your dress?

3. Susan Morton says:

I just sent a comment and noticed my email address was incorrect. I have changed it to be correct. Thanks, Susan
    my comment was: your dress looks fabulous on you! I love reading your blogs! I enjoy sewing my own clothes and you inspire me! What is the content of your fabric?

4. Joyce Love says:

It’s beautiful, and hey, great reason to stand up straight, right? Welcome back from vacation! I’ve been missing your posts!

5. Amanda S. says:

I think it’s the perfect dress for summer! Sometime you’ll want something a little looser fitting when it’s just plain hot or you’ve got a sunburn and don’t want fabric touching your skin. And TWO muslins? Not sure I’d have the patients for that, unless it was for a super expensive fabric or a very special occasion.

6. Such a fun fabric – Love it! Great dress pattern, too – I haven’t seen this one :) I agree with Amanda S – sometimes you just want something a little loose for these hot Southern summers :)

Thanks for a great fabric source! Hadn’t heard of SisBoom before and am happy to have that site!

7. Ann Shane says:

… and the sandals are great too!

I certainly didn’t notice any fitting issues when I first looked at this great dress! With such eye-catching fabric, no one is going to notice. Like Amanda, not sure if I have the patience to always make 2 muslins. Most of my sewing lately has not been worthy of that effort!

It’s a cute dress! You learned something from making it, and you found a new pattern to use again. It takes awhile to build a TNT pattern. I fidget with my TNT patterns almost every time I make something so I’m sure your next one will be perfect!

10. June says:

Welcome back! I love how you coordinated your shoes, too.

11. caroline lazzara says:

Sis Boom fabric and patterns are fabulous! Jennifer Paganelli (Sis Boom) is an amazing person.

12. Donna says:

Do you have a fav online fabric store?

13. Tia Dia says:

OMG! What fabulousness is that fabric with this dress design?!?!? Glad you found the pattern, and I didn’t know about the *two* muslins…. Good idea!

14. Vivian says:

Whohoooo! That is a cute dress I would not buy, but on you wonder, why not. It is a little big, but when you think about RTW clothing and how it often doesn’t fit properly…… So it fits like RTW. But this is why I am addicted to making my own. It is the fit!

15. Linda B. says:

Your fabric choice for this dress is fantastic…it looks great on you! I did the same thing after seeing Tia Dia’s version of this dress…jumped right on etsy and snagged the pattern for myself. Can’t wait to make my version!

16. june lovell says:

your dress is darling and you look great in it. i listened to Kenneth King’s interview, too, and i may have finally learned my lesson. i’m in the midst of a rub-off experience and will start my second muslin today…

17. Great print- you look like you’re ready to return to the beach! The Edisto glow is apparent from your picture. Love, Libby

18. Sheree says:

I know it maybe the sensible thing to do, but i just could not do two muslins! I am only just getting into the habit of one. At the moment I am making McCalls 2401 . It has a similar type of look and I think you may like it also. Still, I do like the dress on you and the shoes set it off perfectly.

19. Many thanks, Sheree – I’ll check it out! Kenneth King sews on very expensive fabric so I understand the two muslins ;)

20. missmarys says:

I really like the dress. That’s some amazing matching too.

Really cute! I love this animal print– it’s so you, especially as a sheath dress! I’m trying to get better about really taking the time to get fit right, but it’s really hard to make myself spend lots of time in the muslin process.

22. Andi says:

That fabric is so Anya! I love it!

Now you just need to take another vacation!! What better excuse do you need than a great new dress to start it off with? About those muslins – they always take longer to make than I think they should, but they are worth their weight in gold and time!!

24. Shams says:

A very cute dress! Two muslins, eh? I could see that for those kinds of prices…

25. Pauline (pdiddly) says:

I am not great at sewing muslins first, so you are better person than me if you plan to make one or two for each garment. Nice dress

26. katy says:

I agree with Amanda; I like a looser fit when it is hot. This one makes you look like you’re having a relaxed good time, yet still quite classy..

27. Pam says:

That dress is smashing. Did you line it in cotton? We sewers are so unforgiving and it seems like every garment has a “yes, but..” Wear it everywhere and enjoy all the compliments you will surely get! The very best part is that is (always!) a one of a kind original.

28. I think your dress fits very well and I really like the fabric.
    I´m right now very angry over a dress that hangs down in the back, no matter how I try to adjust it. I have changed the hem at least twenty times without being satisfied. Grrrrrrr!!!

29. Susan Green says:

I was curious to know if you make a muslin for every garment you sew, and if so, how detailed do you make the muslin?

By the way…every thing you make is so cute and I love how you just jump in and experiment with fabric to see what works!!! And you know what? It usually does work!!

• Thank you, Susan! The answer is yes. I make a muslin for every new pattern. I did not when I sewed 25 years ago and nothing fit. Now I know why! I do love trying different fabrics though one of these days I need to do some coordinating! :)

30. Laury Shepherd says:

You present the entire package very well!

I’m doing good to make ONE muslin…forget two. This dress is really cute and while it might be a little loose in places it just looks like it is supposed to be. It will be a great runaround dress this summer.

• Nice to hear from you, Dorcas! Well, I’m in the midst of another muslin for the next dress in this pattern. Your clothes always fit beautifully – what’s your secret? :)

32. Marguerite says:

Very nice dress don’t worry about it being a bit loose…room for an extra dessert! I like the pattern with the empire line but still a classic sheath I actually have bought and made a similar style that was a 1968 McCalls. I found the 60s patterns to fit my neck, shoulder and armholes better than today’s patterns. I’m thinking that’s why they fit me first time around with no muslin. Back then I never made one and things fit pretty well. Not so today. So I do end up sewing with a lot of 60s Simplicity and McCalls. Like I keep telling you…you really rock a sheath! Keep ‘em coming

I’m with Art Attack, I barely make one muslin! Beautiful dress either way! Welcome back!

This is beautiful and I think the fit is perfect for a summer dress. I don’t know if I could do 2 muslins, wow, that is dedication. Hope you had a wonderful vacation.

Gorgeous dress and the fabric disguises the wrinkles so enjoy wearing it. Any woven garment I do a muslin but can’t say I do more than 1 unless we are talking about pants!!

• Thanks, Sharon! I agree with you. If any dress has to be ill-fitting I this is a good one since the fabric is so busy :)
      I’ve never made more than one muslin……until today! Hopefully the next dress will be what I want.

36. Sandra says:

Such a pretty dress and I love the fabric placement. I think the extra ease gives it that summer vacation appeal :-)
    I love reading your blog and I’ve nominated you for the Super Sweet Blogger Award

37. Lexley- Brisbane AU says:

not all dresses have to be close fitting! This dress which is resort/ beach style attire with the print also dictating this calls for a loose fit. It looks great and not at all ill fitting. you look fabulous as usual and it looks great on you….

Your dress is so cute! Where I live summers are really HOT! so loose-fitting clothes are an absolute must. Your dress looks perfect for hot days! I rarely bother with a muslin, unless the fabric is expensive. ;)

• Many thanks, Carolyn! I love loose clothes but not clothes that are too big in the wrong places. But like I said, I’m going to enjoy it regardless and hope the busy pattern disguises the fit :)
      Your clothes always fit perfectly. I cannot believe you rarely make a muslin. How do you do it ????

39. Stephanie says:

That’s a great dress – so perfect for summer and vacations!

40. Cindy says:

Now THAT is one seriously cutie patootie dress. I’m officially jealous! ;=D

41. Vicki says:

It looks perfect to me! Life is too short for 2 muslins on a cotton sun frock! You look lovely and the fabric placement is just right for the style.

42. Almeda says:

Another “happy” dress is bringing lots and lots of smiles!! You look great – I think it’s a combination of your relaxing holidays and this very cute dress. Love love the fun fabric! :) Thanks for introducing us to a wonderful fabric site. Can’t wait to see your next creation. :)

43. gaynelle west-brown says:

I have never made a muslin, prior to making the garment. I know that is probably a mistake. I need more details about fitting a muslin, etc…….do you have suggetions. Is there a particular website that gives instructions……You always look beautiful in everything you model. The 1960’s patterns were great for me…..back then I did lots of sewing and now back into sewing but there is improvement needed……..any suggestions…………gaynelle

44. Pingback: Vogue 2864 Revisited | Goodbye Valentino