New Arrival at K a t i e Spade

I’m staying at a lovely 5-star resort through the weekend (not our typical getaway) – one of those places where you swap your car for bicycles upon arrival. My husband is engaged in professional activities allowing me to bring along a suitcase of sewing paraphernalia guilt free.

This morning when I discovered my white thread was left at home I called the concierge to request a sewing kit so I could hem my top.

“My apologies Mrs. Gunn, but we do not furnish sewing kits.”

My husband was slightly incredulous when I got dressed and pedaled to the nearest store to find some thread. I ended up buying a sewing kit with a minute amount of white thread at resort prices – ugh.

IMG_0846 Fortunately the kit contained enough white thread to complete my latest.

Can you tell the difference between the Kate Spade and the K a t i e  Spade?

IMG_0856   IMG_0865
It’s easy to tell the difference this time – I was able to duplicate the style and fit  but not the ruffle. My daughter’s Kate Spade blouse is so cleverly designed that I wanted to clone it.

I ordered this vibrant blue and white silk twill from Mood Fabrics which has exceeded my expectations. The fabric weight, body and texture are perfect for a variety of garments. I want more!

IMG_0863 2

As I began to put Kenneth King’s Clone Your Favorite Garment instructions to practice I noticed the lined shoulder tab in the Kate Spade top.

IMG_0876The seams rest on each side of the shoulder,

and the purpose is to give a nice flat fit across the upper chest – no gaping whatsoever!

This is my third time to clone a garment from the wonderful class, Kenneth King’s Clone Your Favorite Garment . Sadly for me, the class does not address cloning a flounce, but somehow I’m going to solve this mystery. Kate Spade’s flounced ruffle has a great drape, width and length. The edge is finished with a rolled hem.

The K a t i e  Spade flounced ruffle  is finished with a narrow hem, and the ruffle itself is shorter and wider.

As for the fit – I’m thrilled. Loose but not baggy, the neckline is low enough but not revealing and the shoulders are slightly cut in to elongate the arm. I can wear the shirt tucked in or left out.

IMG_0860 I’m happy to sacrifice the Kate Spade ruffle for a good fit this time. Anyhow, my yard of white thread is gone, the weekend is fast approaching and it’s time to enjoy the gift of these beautiful surroundings.

Have a good one!

This entry was posted in Kate Spade, Mood Fabrics, Online Fabric Orders, Pattern Review Online Classes, Sewing Tops, silk and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to New Arrival at K a t i e Spade

1. artattack024 says:

Okay, well this is a high class problem if ever I heard one! LOL Great post. I only guessed the Katie because the blue is so on trend. Super cute top and job. Enjoy your 5-Star NON-Sewing Kit Accomdations!

2. artattack024 says:

That was accomodations but I’m sure you knew that!

3. Pretty fabric! I’m loving the top you cloned, although I do confess that I LOVE that flounce on the Kate Spade top :) Would it be just awful to suggest buying one (hopefully on sale) and taking the thing apart to copy it? I’m going to have to check out that class you’ve referenced – I have a favorite LP knit dress that I LOVE, but have in all the available colors that ‘work’ with my coloring…must make more!

Have a great time and enjoy your cute new blouse!

• Hi Cheryl! I love the flounce too. I think I’ll be able to get it without taking a top apart. I didn’t have enough fabric to do another one. You will love the class and thanks for the comment :)

4. Ann Shane says:

Beautiful as always, you and the garment! I have to sign up for Kenneth’s class — thanks for the post and reminding me! Enjoy your beautiful surroundings…

I think it is because of the print, but I can’t tell much difference in the flounces. I second your opinion of silk twill. I had a pair of silk twill pants that were absolutely the best pair of pants I have ever owned. Great drape, comfort, and fashion! I will have to check out Mood’s silk twill collection. Love the top!

• Hi Becky! There’s a huge difference but you’re right – the fabric makes it hard to detect. This was my first experience to sew with silk twill and hopefully not my last. Many thanks for the comment!

6. Karin says:

Fab-u-lous! The fit and proportion are *perfect*. Thank you for pointing out the tab shoulders. It’s a small but effective detail.

7. jay says:

I like yours better!

8. Mary says:

I thought the blue one was the original. Lovely color. Great job!

9. coco says:

Well, Sarah, I like your ruffle and fabric much more than the Kate. Oooo…enjoy those 5 stars…

10. Valerie says:

Lovely top. I thought the blue was the original too. Enjoy that resort..

• Thank you, Valerie! I’m surprised the blue and white fabric has not been picked up by a designer as it’s great fabric. …… and the resort is perfect in almost every way ;)

11. Cindy says:

Simplicity 1886 might have a ruffle you’d like for one of your next creations.
    Cindy: Creative Hormone Rush

• Thank you, Cindy! I used this ruffle as a guide and meant to include it in the post. I trimmed a half of an inch off of the width and added a few inches to the length. Hopefully I’ll eventually work it out :) ……. or I may just make Simplicity 1886 -what a cute pattern!

Great looking top, you have really been using your Kenneth King class information. Great job, I like reading all about it.

13. Carol says:

Sarah, I love your K a t i e Spade top and I like the flounce you made, but if you are interested….. I saw a video from Nancy Zieman about making those flounces. She cuts them in the round…like in the number 6. Which I had no idea how that was done. Here is the link – http://video.wpt2.org/video/2324229043 Look in the area around 18 minutes in and she shows you how to cut a flounce.

14. Amanda S. says:

Very pretty and perfect for summer! I LOVE that fabric.

15. Ruth says:

I definitely prefer your version to the original. Lovely.

16. Julie Starr says:

Well it certainly looks as if that Kenneth King course is paying off in “Spades”! It makes such good sense to spend time developing go to patterns from pieces you love and can now make quickly and confidently whenever you like. So much of the guesswork and time spent on muslins (which I rarely have the discipline or patience for anyway) and fitting is eliminated. If your Katie skirt didn’t convince me to take the course, this beautiful blouse has. It’s absolutely lovely on you. Enjoy this beautiful weekend – sounds heavenly!

• Thank you, Julie! While it takes longer to clone the pattern than it does to cut a pattern, there are no fitting issues which is worth the extra time. The key to success is getting the grainlines straight – e v e r y w h e r e which I have found tricky to mark on the original garments at times. Take this class – you will love it!

17. joen says:

Great job! love the blue and white print. Enjoy your ***** getaway!

18. Kyle says:

I thought the blue was the original!
    McCalls 6518 is a dress with flounces/ruffles. They are cut on a curve and then sewn flat, and voila, ruffle/flounce! You can see it on my blog, scroll down to the pix in the daylight.

19. Kyle says:

Here, this is the post when I was in the muslin stage, that shows what the ruffle looks like before it is sewn. You can see how curved it is. http://vacuumingthelawn.blogspot.com/2013/02/mccalls-6518-muslin-rolled-hem.html Hope this helps!

20. Super cute summer blouse, love that fabric. In fact I always love your fabric choices, bright sunny colors and a hint of resort wear, just my favorite.
    Kyle is correct in the above comment, this type of flounce is cut in a circle. I used it on the skirt of this pink dress (scroll down in the post to see it) http://sunnygalstudio.blogspot.com/2010/11/never-can-say-goodbye.html
    If you want more info e-mail me and I can send you a photo: sunnygalstudio (at) gmail.com

Have you copied pants yet? That is where I find the “clone a garment” really works – always searching for the perfect pants…

21. You’re a good cloner Mrs. Gunn. The top is really nice!

22. Roberta says:

Love your clone! Great choice of fabric – well done!

23. Pingback: MSN / Face the Lace | Goodbye Valentino

24. Jan Sortore says:

great tops, both of them. I was so smart I thought you were making the white one, since you wanted white thread. Then I noticed you would have wanted for either. Go’s to show how smart I am. lol. Enjoy your lovely week-end. Jan

25. Lexley- Brisbane AU says:

Kenneth King’s class on Craftsy called’Jean-ius, reverse engineer your favourite fit’ has enabled me to copy the best fitting capris which retail here in AU for $150. Beth is right, pants are the hardest things to fit (not make though- that is the easy part!) and when you’re able to copy a garment that fits perfectly, you don’t have those pesky fit issues resulting in UFO ‘s!!!!
    I also thought your top was the cream one…see, you’re so good!!!!
    Both Amanda and you are my favourites of the Mood Bloggers and I always look forward to reading about your adventues……..

• Hi Lexley and thank you so much for this nice comment! At some point I’m going to take the Jean-ius class. I really love discovering the secrets to popular RTW clothes through cloning. :) :) Thanks for the link too!

26. Lexley- Brisbane AU says:

P.s. here is a link to my post on Kenneth’s fabulous course on Craftsy…….

27. danvillegirl says:

Great job!

Great job! That really is flattering little top! Glad you were able to clone it so successfully!

29. NinaLBoston says:

Beautiful top! I purchased some of the silk last month for a peplum top — soon to start the muslin on that.
    For a lovely machine satin stitch finish for the edge of the flounce, see Claire Shaeffer’s “High’Fashion Sewing Secrets from the World’s Best Designers” page 80 (the Sewing Secret at the bottom of that page) gives good detailed instructions that I’ve used with success in the past.

Love this and what a great class to take! I haven’t taken it but do like to clone my RTW and have done a few items. This class may help me to do more! I really love what you’ve done!

31. lbrundage says:

Oh my gosh, now I really have to look into that class! I did a flounce ruffle front on a top a few years ago using a flounce pattern piece from a mccall’s pattern. It was essentially a big spiral. Your top looks great! Thanks for the Kenneth King class shout out. I have a feeling his sales are going to skyrocket after your posts!

32. poppykettle says:

Gorgeous blouses aside – I’m gobsmacked at the simplistic but oh-so-amazing insight of that shoulder panel. It’s the simple things, I tell you!
    Looking good ;)

33. Hazel walker says:

Like all the other ladies………… I prefer the blue one………….. You are a great sewer………..I forward your Blogs to all my sewing chums…… Hazel.

34. Jean C. says:

I see you got a bunch of comments about the flounce; adding my two bits to the many; besides cutting it in the round… you might also try cutting it on the bias. That would make it lay quite nicely too… flouncy even! LoL