What I Did For Love

My sewing goal for this post was to make two pairs of Style Arc’s Elle Pants from fabric I bought over a year ago inspired by Robin of A Little Sewing. The fabrics are a hi-tech matte hybrid in chocolate-brown and red. I made the pants in black last year, blogged here.

For some reason I asked my husband’s opinion about making the pants……….

“Make  a dress out of the red fabric, like the one you had at the beach,”

Hubby was referring to his favorite dress pattern. Of all the dresses I’ve made this is his favorite.

“But Cissie, one of the RTW Fasters has already made this dress in red,” I replied.

“Does that matter? Does Cissie live here? “

“She lives a few hundred miles away, but it doesn’t matter. We sew to have one of a kind clothing and I don’t want to copy her.”

I quickly realized our conversation was headed in the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus direction.

__________________________

Well, tonight, my husband is stepping  w a y  out of his comfort zone to help an organization dear to my heart. He is guest conducting the symphony for fundraising purposes after a three-day crash course in reading music and conducting.

Need I say more?  Cissie, I ask for your forgiveness!

IMG_0605 2

If  hubby was willing to get out of his comfort zone then I needed to get out of mine, so I cut the dress out two sizes smaller than last time to give it the close fit as described on the pattern envelope.

I quit wear tight-fitting clothes years ago, (don’t want to embarrass the children you know) but I discovered with this dress there is a difference between close fitting and tight fitting.  My new dress is very comfortable even if it doesn’t look it :)

The ruching in the dress creates quite the silhouette which went unnoticed in the floral version I made in December.

IMG_0545And the pattern is one of the easiest dress patterns I have ever sewn.  With the exception of the center back, all of the seams were sewn on the serger, making for a speedy process!

I may not wear this dress as much as the red pants I dreamt of sewing, but I’ve got a festive dress for holidays, a new style to further consider and a Happy Husband who’s going out on a limb for the greater good tonight!

I think Cissie will understand :)

Happy Valentine’s Day to all!

This entry was posted in sewing bloggers, sewing blogs, Sewing Dresses, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

102 Responses to What I Did For Love

1. Cennetta says:

You look fabulous! I made the very same dress about a month, but have yet to post it.

2. Joyce Love says:

Be-you-ti-ful!! And I’m sure Cissie won’t mind (love Cissie’s version too, by the way). I’ve been watching for a sale on Vogue patterns so I can get this! Happy Valentine’s Day & have a wonderful time at the symphony!

3. ewellons says:

As if I had never copied you, Sarah!!! In fact, I never would have noticed this pattern had it not been for you! Also, my dress is not red — it is persimmon. But for tonight’s dinner party, I’m calling it red!

4. Donna says:

Beautiful! Isn’t love grand!

5. Kacie says:

Wow – you look amazing! What a beautiful dress! And how sweet of your husband to set his comfort aside and help an organization that means so much to you. This is a beautiful example of how Valentine’s Day should be celebrated :)

6. Angela says:

You really do look wonderful in that dress – I might just have to take a try at it….
    Love your blog!

7. Teri says:

Fantastic! What a lovely LRD:) Have fun tonight!

Your husband gave you fabulous advice – I’m glad you took it!! I’ll bet he is, too, even with his extra fundraising duties! You wear red really well – and it would have been a shame not to have that color framing your face (as would be the case obviously with pants…). What a great addition to your wardrobe.

9. Katie says:

I love it! Make me one!

10. Gorgeous! Have a great time at your event!

11. Sarah, You LOOK GREAT! I do hope you wear this tonight. Billy will be so excited and his tempi will be right on the mark, like Kleiber. Perhaps you need to sit in the orchestra and smile at him as a little surprise? ;)

12. That is, my dear, a power dress. You can conquer the world in that dress! Absolutely, drop-dead, gorgeous!

13. Cynthia says:

You look fantastic in your red dress….. sometimes husbands do know best.

Cynthia in UK

14. All men like red dresses. My father did it, my husband does it and I agree to them that there is something special about red dresses. You look great in it!
    Happy Valentine´s Day to you too.

15. Gorgeous dress and it fits you beautifully! No wonder your husband requested it :)

16. It’s perfect! Love it in red on you! You’re right – it really shows the details of the dress :) Hope your event is a roaring success – DH is going to make a terrific conductor!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Cheryl – Thank you! I was all set to make a tie and cumberbund – got to Jo-Ann’s only to discover the store did not carry the notions I needed…….. what a disappointment, but what a great idea you had!

17. LLADYBIRD says:

Copying is a-ok in my book, as long as you admit that it’s a copy and cite the source :) In that case, it’s really a sincere form of flattery (or, at least, I hope so – because I copy other sewist’s garments all the time, ha!). And why wouldn’t you copy that?! It’s an amazing dress, looks amazing on you – everyone should have one!

18. ohtosew says:

Beautiful! You look just great in it. Interesting to read the adjustments you made this time around – they certainly worked for you! Have fun!

• Thank you so much! Since I started sewing clothes again, I have gone overboard to avoid making clothes that were too small – knits are a different story I suppose in that I never know how they are going to fit! :)

19. laurahoj says:

It looks lovely, and I’m sure your husband must have been feeling like the luckiest man on earth!

Of course that is his favorite dress! It shows your lovely figure more than the others. Men are so predictable. But, he is right, it is lovely on you. Hope your hubby has fun conducting.

21. Michelle says:

It’s stunning in red. I think I’ll need to add this pattern to my collection!

22. Mollie says:

Smashing success!

23. Claudia says:

You look absolute georgous, this colour is made for you!
    By the way, these days I read in a german newspaper an article about Valentino and his love to the colour red at the beginning of his career and as I saw you in that beautiful dress …yes, Valentino came to my mind again – see also here, if you like:

I like your sewing, the style of your garments so much,
    best regards, Claudia

24. Jane W. says:

That looks spectacular on you! Have fun.

25. lloubb says:

this is fantastic!

26. Karin says:

It’s a knock out dress and you look stunning it. It doesn’t look tight at all. It’s both dramatic and elegant at the same time.

That’s gorgeous – love the pattern and it came out great. So flattering.

28. Tiffany says:

Very beautiful! I think close-fitting is just fine (this dress is full of class), and it looks great on you. The red close to your face gives you great colour, I think.

29. Joen says:

Looks great! The style is very flattering. I’m sure Cissie will understand, especially if she has a hubby too. LOL

If you wear that dress to the event, you’ll have to forgive your DH if he misses a (heart) beat…
    You look spectacular!

31. jillybe says:

I daresay hubby was right on this one ;-) It’s a win-win-win! Hope his conducting debut is as much of a success as the dress!

Your dress is gorgeous, your hubby made a good call. Tell him good luck and enjoy your evening.

Fantastic dress and can see why hubby loves the style.

34. Cathy F. says:

You look fantastic in this! I’ve been lurking for sometime but I made this dress based on your original post and love it. I will make the front neck line a little lower next time. Cheers!

You look amazing in this dress and I’m sure that Cissie doesn’t care that you copied her! I sure wouldn’t. What a nice gift for your husband…I’m sure he appreciates it.

36. Cheryl says:

You are a stunningly beautiful woman, and would look magnificent in a gunny sack. (I’m aging myself, there.)

37. twotoast says:

Fabulous dress – you look gorgeous!

You look great! It’s so beautiful! I love the red– you guys can be long-distance twins! And way to go, hubs! I’m so impressed!

39. Gail says:

I can see why your husband likes this style. You look fabulous, so let him have his say at least some of the time.

40. sewellen says:

I’m willing to bet that you got a TON of compliments and second glances when you wore this out…you did wear this didn’t you? It might be out of your comfort zone (which I totally get), but you look absolutely gorgeous!

41. Cool you tried something outside your comfort zone too and it really worked, as commented above by everyone. Fab. How was his conducting experience?

42. ZoSews says:

You rock this close fitting dress :) And wow, guest conducting – amazing hubby!!

43. sewruth says:

Is there a colour that you can’t wear? You look great in everything.

You did a great job on this dress too, it’s beautiful! What a nice hubby you have, getting involved in your creations like this! I have to shamelessly admit that I attempted this pattern a few months ago and it ended up a huge wadder! I made it using a cream colored Ponte deRoma knit and the look was just horrible on me! It was not even worth posting the mess! Especially with the beautiful versions out there like this one! Great work!

45. lbrundage says:

Gorgeous Red Dress!

46. Maggie Edger says:

Sarah, you look great. You are getting beter and better. A. Maggie

47. Elizabeth says:

The dress looks great. I think Anne of Gorgeous Fabrics just made this dress too. How did your husband’s conducting go?

• Thank you, Elizabeth! I’ll check out Anne’s dress.
      His conducting went fabulously! (Strauss polka) After watching a you tube video 1,000 times, the music and moves were memorized. The MD gave him great coaching tips and the orchestra was very supportive. He was a hit with the audience. Many thanks for asking :)

48. The dress looks great and fits perfectly. Very flattering. And what woman doesn’t want to look appealing for her husband!

49. Toni says:

Great job! You look fabulous! Very good fit and it is a really good red for you.

50. AllisonC says:

Gorgeous dress, you do look great in it and the lovely gathered details show up even better in a solid.

51. Pingback: Vogue 8790 – A Double Hit! | Return To Sewing

52. Robin says:

It looks great! How do you like that fabric? It is really unusual, isn’t it. The red looks gorgeous on you.