A Movement?

I am thrilled, elated and joyous that the RTW Fast is catching on.

Could

Untitled 3 - Sign

become a movement?

In late September I was informed by a reader that the day after I completed my RTW Fast, a sew-a-long inspired by my 1 year challenge started on the Pattern Review website in my absence, with many citing me as their inspiration. I was quite moved to say the least.

Just last week I learned Pattern Therapy along with thirteen other women are hosting a year-long challenge for home sewers who want to commit to ONE YEAR of sewing to build their wardrobe. The challenge is to avoid purchasing clothing beginning  on April 1, 2013 and will run until March 30, 2014. Check it out here !

Now, I’d like to welcome three new RTW Fasters to my page!

2761

SANDRA

denise2

DENISE

9127 Jane Winkler

JANE

As for the RTW Fasters at GOODBYE VALENTINO, I’d like to congratulate Linda on her 6 month anniversary.

I’m naming Jilly as the RTW Faster’s philosopher who by her thoughtful posts and insights naturally inspires the contemplative spirit within us all.

ENJOYMENTcopy

While I won’t go into detail about every Faster, whom you can easily find HERE,  I will give you a quick summary of recent developments.

Teri  has introduced the group to the Cutting Class blog, an insider’s look at the construction techniques in haute couture. It’s fascinating  in case you are unfamiliar with it.

I must recognize Lorraine who has in a few months made a mammoth amount of clothes. Has she slept since beginning her fast?

Cissie and Barbara have made lovely Valentine attire.

Several Fasters are/have participated in challenges on websites including PR, Sew Weekly  with the latest being Victoria’s Fearless February Sew Along at 10,000 Hours of Sewing!

Last but not least I’d like to recognize, Annika one of the newsest RTW Fasters from Sweden who has hit the ground running making beautiful tops.

_______________________________

My idea for starting the RTW Fasters page was to bring support and encouragement for those determined to give up RTW for a year in favor of sewing.

“A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong.” (Tecumseh)  and this is one strong bundle of twigs.

I’m delighted to see other bloggers and websites taking initiatives to encourage RTW Fasting. Perhaps the strong bundle of twigs will gain the strength of a tree or even a forest and bring positive changes to the clothing industry.

Best wishes for a great remaining weekend!

This entry was posted in Perseverence, Ready to Wear Fast, sewing bloggers, sewing blogs, sewing clothes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to A Movement?

1. jillybe says:

Ooooh the resident philosopher! Grinning, giggling, blushing, and loving it! :D And a big welcome to Sandra, Denise, and Jane!

2. Angela says:

I have to admit, I’ve been strongly considering this challenge, so I might be joining all of you! Right now, I don’t have a blog to report anything on. Part of me is hugely nervous at making such a commitment, but talk about a way to get my sewing skills back up to speed…

3. twotoast says:

This is a fabulous challenge, and just what I needed to kick start my sewing! My goal is to get through ‘Me-Made-May’ wearing as many clothes sewn by me as possible! It is also great to see how many people have joined up and the fabulous clothes that they are making – thanks to you!!

• You have been amazing Lorraine! Actually you remind me of me (not that I consider myself amazing at all) when I gave up RTW. I could not stop sewing long enough to do much of anything :) Thank you for being such an inspiration!

4. Laura says:

Oh what a good blog! Such inspiration, don’t know if I can commit to RTW-no….love my stretch cords by Lands End in the Wintertime….but 3 of us, have decided to form a sewing bee, learn how to use a french curve, make a sloper (sp?)…..and sew sew in between our meetings…..Keep up the good work, I go to your post as soon as I see in my in-box….LAURA

• Hi Laura and thanks for writing! I’m not asking anyone to commit but it is a life changing experience. Also, you may wear any of your RTW. The idea is not to buy any and instead sew. I love the idea of forming a sewing bee and think I need to do the same where I live. Thanks for the idea!

5. Angela says:

Just curious…. I know you completed a year of RTW fasting – are you planning to do another? Or was one enough? LOL!!!

6. I do plan to do another year of fasting! Now that I’ve been through it once, I know what to expect and will have to prepare myself to take it on. I really haven’t bought that much since September – 1 skirt – 1 pants – 2 tops – a couple of sweaters and I’m learning there’s not that much I need or have to have :)

I think this is a great challenge for anyone thinking about sewing and having some sewing skills! I’ve been sewing rather than buy for many years just because of the costs (I can’t justify paying the RTW costs in some cases!). I now continue because of the flexibility of choices in style, color and fabrics! I can have what I want, the way I want it…isn’t that what sewing is all about?! I love your blog!

8. lbrundage says:

oh, I just love the idea of this…but I wonder if I could really keep from buying any ready to wear? I’m like Jane…it’s hard for me to pass up a bargain, especially if it would cost me less than making it. But I am so intrigued….thinking, thinking…

• If bargain shopping is an issue, you may want to read Overdressed, The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth Cline.
      During my year of RTW fasting my desire to shop for clothes disappeared and it still has not returned in full force – frankly hardly at all! Keep on thinking!!! :)

• lynne says:

Actually, I just started reading it last night! See? You really do have me thinking!
        It’s such a captivating book.

• Angela says:

I’ve been thinking of reading it… not in our library, I might have to just get it. This title keeps coming up in blog after blog!

It’s lots of fun to see what everyone is making! One thing I’ve discovered about sewing for oneself – it makes it much more difficult to buy RTW (even if it is a bargain).

10. ecjooste says:

I was reading some of your posts and was really inspired by it. Out all honesty I only have basic sewing skills, but hey I’m going to take the RTW Fast Challenge. A great way to improve my sewing skills.

11. Thank you for your comment and I completely understand your thinking,because my sewing skills were only slightly beyond basic when i decided to start my RTW fast. Like you said, it is a great way to improve your skills and knowledge of all things sewing! Let me know if you’d like to be on the RTW Fasters page!

12. Teri says:

I have really enjoyed the challenge so far, and the freedom I feel when I walk into a store….I don’t waste my time looking at racks and racks of poorly made over price clothes anymore!

This is a great challenge! Have you ever heard of Wardrobe Refashion? It was exactly the same principle, you could choose to abstain from rtw for 3 or 6 months, 1 year, or for life. I pedged to be a life member; which means no rtw purchases for life. I haven’t bought any clothes, including undies, socks or anything for the past four years :)
    Good luck with your pledge!