Party Pep – Vogue 8815

I’m a little late to the party with this pattern but I’ve finally arrived :)

V8815

Vogue 8815 has received dozens of favorable reviews on PR.  I came close to buying a Kate Spade zebra peplum made in the same style, but the

“I can make this”

mindset thankfully kicked in….. and yet I never made one, even though I bought the pattern months ago. UGH……

After completing the Style Arc Willow Pants last week, a vision for this pattern finally appeared leading me to a copper puckered silk I bought in early fall at Waechter’s Silk Shop in Asheville, NC.  I’d never sewn on puckered silk which was very expensive by my standards, and  bought one whole yard.

I began worrying the puckered element of the fabric would affect the accuracy of the fit, and turned the easy pattern into a time-consuming project by making a muslin with traced stitching lines before making the top.  After tweaking the muslin, I traced all of the stitching lines onto the fashion fabric to ensure a good fit.

Well, it fits.

and I’ve turned the Style Arc Willow pants into party pants.

All the puckering you see everywhere?

It’s the fabric, thank goodness.

As with any successfully completed project, I’m glad I took the time to do it correctly.  The puckered fabric combined with guesswork would have turned into a disaster without a proper muslin.

traced stitching lines

Maybe I’ll go for that zebra peplum now, or maybe I’ll turn my attention to spring since Punxsutawney Phil predicts an early spring.

Way to go Phil!!

This entry was posted in Kate Spade, sewing blog, Sewing Tops, silk, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to Party Pep – Vogue 8815

1. Elaine says:

Just beautiful on you. (Please tell us about that fabulous necklace too!)

2. Love this top – I’ve looked at the pattern, too, and thought it was so pretty! What great fabric, too – love it! Fabulous on you – great work, as usual. Necklace is a wonderful touch, too :)

3. Victoria says:

Love your version of this top! It looks great combined with your “fancy pants”! Girl you are styling as usual (wink)!

4. Your peplum top looks amazing! I love how your fabric choice turned out. I think it gave your top just a little bit of an edginess and attitude. Very inspiring.

• Many thanks, Stephanie! Often and in this case, I wasn’t sure if I had made the right fabric choice but a turning point happened after I finished the neck and arm edges! Thank goodnes :) :)

5. Shams says:

A very cute peplum top. You look great in that color!

Very cute, one of my favorite colors…love the shoe

7. 365 Dresses says:

That looks great on you! I think the peplums are very flattering, and I’m still seeing many on the spring fashions in Paris.

8. Nancy says:

just fantastic!

9. Andrea says:

The top is beautiful, and complements your new pants so nicely. Fun necklace!

10. Peggy says:

What a great top! I have that necklace, too. I love being able to squish it into different shapes–sometimes I wrap it multiple times around my wrist.

11. sewbusylizzy says:

Hmmmm I’m thinking a peplum top might look perfect with my new ByHand London Charlotte pencil skirt…

12. Annika says:

Very cute top and the fit is just perfect. Well done!

Love your peplum and I’ve just finished mine, photos soon.

Good proportion balance between the peplum and pants…not to mention the great looking fabrics, fit and model!

15. Vivian says:

Beautiful top! I have one of these necklaces and never could get it to look right. You have the twists just right!

16. Laura says:

I’m very familiar with this fabric (since I work at Waechter’s Fine Fabrics) and YOUR top is perfect! Actually the best use of this fabric to date, have seen Kayla Kennington’s perennial pant made from it, and a stitched down box pleated skirt…but this is the best rendition from the fabric I’ve seen! It almost has a antique look to it…..far out ways anything you could have bought from RTW….and think it could also be dressed down as well…..maybe with a black linen slack. Oh just love it!,,,,,,,,Laura

• Many thanks for such a flattering comment, Laura! This fabulous fabric would make up nicely as several garments, but I needed to keep it simple which worked for me. I love it and appreciated all of the good help I had at Waechters :) Thanks for writing!

17. Margy Houtz says:

What a gorgeous top! I love peplums, I hope they stay in fashion for years…Your choice of fabric is spectacular! (I have that necklace, too)

18. Martha says:

Yes, your top is fabulous. What a wonderful use of that special piece of silk. And with the tapered party pants? Just perfect!

19. joen says:

Your top turned out great! I finally purchased the Vogue pattern myself after shopping at the Mall with my daughter and seeing peplum tops in almost every shop for Spring. I especially was tempted by a leopard print that I saw and thought the same as you I could make that! I just need that Vogue pattern. LOL

20. Ruth says:

Just lovely (and not a ruffle in sight!)

21. Well… I see this kind of tops a lot and I have to say that your version convinced me to make one for myself. You look fabulous in it! Congratulaitons!

What a great piece of fabric that became a beautiful top! Love it ~ especially with your new pants!

23. cjgal says:

You are so adorable! Love this, fits you like a glove

24. Absolutely and undeniably GORGEOUS!

25. Suits you fanastically! Congratulations!

Ooh, what a gorgeous, unique top! Love how you’ve paired it with your fab pants! Make a zebra version– that will be so fun!

lovely top, worth the effort of making the muslin

28. deborah says:

Looks lovely on you!

29. Tia Dia says:

It’s gorgeous! I’ve sewn puckered silk before – it’s very careful work for sure. Your peplum top is wonderful, and a perfect party complement to those trousers!

30. jillybe says:

Very chic outfit, and what a lovely color on you!

31. Teri says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I haven’t ventured into the peplum world yet…….maybe 2013 is the year.

32. jlundy6116 says:

Very lovely flattering top. I haven’t been convinced to do this pattern yet, but your rendition could change my mind :)

I really love this top on you! It’s like everything else you make, absolutely stunning! Beautiful fabric, the color is fabulous!

34. justine says: