Style Arc Willow

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.”  A. A. Milne

Had I known organizing my sewing room would result in a two-week hiatus from sewing AND blogging, I bet I would still be in the midst of a huge mess declaring I couldn’t take the time needed to bring order and modest aesthetic appeal to my cluttered space. I reached a good stopping point and expect to finish up over the next few weeks with pictures forthcoming.

At last I can sew in pleasant surroundings!

Last year I made five pairs of pants.
The first pair was a learning experience leading me to discover Style Arc patterns – in particular Style Arc pants patterns. After successfully sewing the Elle slim stretch and Leah Lounge pants, I ordered the Linda stretch and Willow woven cigarette pants; two patterns I rediscovered while cleaning.

Pants are my winter wardrobe staple and it was time to make more. I don’t know why but  a fear of sewing ill-fitting pants continues to haunt me. I settled on the Willow woven cigarette pants.

WILLOW-PANT

Any pant that is described as looking  “amazing worn with heels or with flats” seemed like my kind of pant AND it sits on the real waistline!

I used this brocade fabric I bought at Mood Fabrics in November.  The fabric, with a nice hand and smooth finish on the back did not require lining. In the photo above I’m wearing the pants with a silk blouse I made in August with this Oscar de la Renta dimpled silk from Mood Fabrics, but the brocade works well with my everyday sweaters and shoes too.

IMG_0336Although I made a muslin for fitting purposes I made no adjustments other than the in the length. Everything about the pattern worked for me making for a thrilling sewing experience :)

Style Arc collage

I had forgotten how easy it is to make a pair of pants when fitting is not an issue – three pattern pieces and a zipper.

In the past I have tried many pants patterns, and I can say that the Style Arc pants patterns are designed for my shape – I’ve found gold!

When someone tells me she has lost her sewing mojo, I recommend  sewing something easy and familiar in a new fabric……. and now I’ll certainly know where to turn!

Best wishes to all :)

This entry was posted in Easy Sewing, Mood Fabrics, sewing blog, Style Arc Patterns, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to Style Arc Willow

You do have a winner, those pants look great. I see many more in your future :)

2. Love the Style Arc patterns and can’t wait to try the several I purchased :) Lucky you with a newly organized sewing room! I’ve just done my office, but haven’t melded my sewing room into it successfully yet. Can’t wait to see your pictures – maybe I’ll be inspired!

Happy organizing and sewing!

• Thank you, Cheryl! Hope you love the Style Arc patterns as much as I do. My sewing room is definitely a DIY but it’s working nicely for me! Love the last dress you made too. Would you believe I’ve been out of a computer too? My MacBook Pro completely crashed making it hard to do much blogging (shared husband’s computer) until this weekend :)

3. Those are fantastic! I have yet to master pants. They’re on my list for 2013. I’ve heard and seen great things about Style Arc patterns, but have yet to try one. I need to add a few to my stash!

4. Dilliander says:

These fit so well and look fantastic in the brocade! Lovely pattern + lovely fabric = win win :)

Hmmm…I have the same fear of making ill fitting pants…but with just 3 pieces and a great fit like yours, I think I’ll invest in one of these beauties. Style Arc has a great reputation for spot on fit.

6. Shams says:

I *love* the fit of Style Arc pants. Those look great and fit beautifully!

7. jillybe says:

Looking both casual and chic – love it! Some more Style Arc pants are on my short list as well – I’m continually amazed at how well they fit so many different body types!

8. Pam from South Australia says:

Love them. Have just ordered a couple of Style Arc patterns (not pants, though). Will save them for our winter.

9. Gail says:

They look great. Particularly like the look with ballet flats.

10. Vicki says:

Great fit and I love the fabric. Pretty cool!

11. I have just found the joy of a newly TNT pants pattern too so I know just what you mean. Great trousers are a wonderful thing that is rarely (if ever) found in RTW. Thank goodness for sewing :o)

• Thank you! I “bought” a pair of black silk pants at Christmas which I did not wear because the fit wasn’t just right. After three weeks, I returned them for a refund determined to make my own pants from here on. You said it well – thank goodness for sewing :)

12. I really need to organize my sewingroom too. I´m just mobilizing the courage to get started and know it will feel great afterwards. Last week I bought a Burda Pattern in purpose to make a pair (perhaps several) of cigarette pants. Hope this pattern will fit as good as yours. I´ve never heard about Style Arc Pattern here in Sweden, but I´m going to Google it.

• Many thanks, Ann-Britt! Style Arc is based in Australia so the postage is expensive to the US. Good luck with the Burda pattern and I’m sure you’ll get to the sewing room when the time is right :)

13. Laura says:

Fabulous Slacks, I’ve wanted to try Style Arc patterns, you’ve convinced me! What pattern did you use for your silk top, it’s also wonderful, especially in the dimpled silk.
    Happy Sewing!

Great pants! Fit is perfect. I’ll have to order that pattern and hope it helps me reach my goal of making a pair of pants that fit!

15. The pants look MAUVE-A-LOUS on you!!! I’ve been eyeing those Style Arc patterns for awhile now. I just might break down and try one now. Have a great week and I can’t wait to see pictures of your sewing room.
    Beth

• Many thanks, Beth :) :) Maybe the postage will be less to Oregon than to South Carolina! Perhaps one day Style Arc will be distributed in the US. As for my sewing room… it’s strictly a DIY but I’m loving the new order!

Great pants! I too have pants anxiety. Do you recommend one SA pattern over another for my first effort? I say first because I haven’t tried to make pants in years. I’ve been missing you. Glad to know that you are getting things done for yourself.

• Many thanks for your nice comment, Becky. In addition to my sewing room efforts, my computer crashed! You can imagine how fun it was for my husband to share his laptop with me :) Now I have an iPad and my computer is at the Apple store so hopefully I can pick up where I left off.

17. Amanda S. says:

These look really nice on you. I definitely have a fear of making pants. Last year I spent 3 weeks determined to figure out how to get them to look like RTW and finally gave up. This year I am planning to take a pair of my RTW pants completely apart and copy the pattern. Frustrating! I can get a good fit on ANYTHING else except for that!

• Thank you Amanda! I’ve found the Style Arc patterns to fit nicely, but this is the first pair of pants I’ve made that look RTW in every aspect. I’ve thought about taking a pair of pants apart too, but can’t bring myself to do it just yet. Good luck- you sew so well I’m sure you’ll work it out!

These are fantastic Sarah! And now that you have a well-fitting pair of pants you can use these for fitting any future pants patterns. Personally, I can’t wait to see pics of the refreshed sewing room. I love seeing spaces where others create!

• Thank you, Carolyn! I absolutely delighted to have a pants’ pattern for woven fabric that fits!
      My sewing room is a DIY as you will see but I love having a sewing room with order and a few cute things :)

19. Rachel says:

Those pants are fabulous. I had a pants success this past week too after having always had failures. It just takes finding the right pattern I think. Those really look great on you.

20. I cannot buy pants that fit…the only option for me is to make. It’s a revelation. I haven’t tried Style Arc patterns but if they are that good I might have to succumb this year.

• Many thanks, Pendle Stitches! I brought home a pair of pants from Talbots around Christmas thinking I was desparate for black silk pants. I never wore them because they didn’t fit just right and ended up returning them. I’m soooo glad I’ve discovered a good pattern for me :)

21. Very Jazzy!!! Like it! How about a jacket to match…or a vest?

22. I have the Willow almost finished except for the hems. Your post was an inspiration to get downstairs and finish them! The fabric you used is fabulous.

They look great – and I like the side hem splits – that’s always a nice extra touch. Aren’t “patterned – fabric” pants a welcome switch from black and more black (which I freely admit is a staple in my wardrobe…)?

24. Clio says:

Pants that fit out of the envelope?!?!?! Holy cow! They look awesome!

Great pants and fit, Sarah. You’ve now tried 4 of the SA pant patterns, is this your favorite? I’m a fan of no waistband so wondering if the Leah Lounge Pant would be a better choice but the leg is so much slimmer on the Willow, and I like that along with the ankle notch. Great job… :D

• Thank you, Dorcas! I have tried three SA pant patterns, still waiting to try the Linda. I too like the no waistband pant , but have always loved the cigarette pant. The waistband is fairly narrow and because it fits, I find it flattering.
      The Leah Lounge pants are fun but the leg is very wide. My versions have narrowed legs.
      Whatever you make will look fab I’m sure!

26. june lovell says:

we missed you and now you’re enticing me with those pants–had to go to the website and now i hope there are two new patterns winging their way to SoCal. thanks for the update and the great photos and the inspiration.

27. oonaballoona says:

i’m still trying to get over “last year i made five pairs of pants.”

these are ever so terribly cool.

28. Margy Houtz says:

Lovely pants, Sarah! The fit and the fabric are perfect. I can’t wait to try these…

29. Dixie says:

These pants look terrific on you! The fabric makes them so unique, and they fit very well.

When you were decluttering, did you happen to find the instructions for my Revisions Santa Cruz Jacket pattern? They’ve gone missing…

Wonderful looking pants and don’t you just love a great fitting pair of pants.

I’m frightened if I try and sort out my sewing room you wont see me for months!

Gorgeous! These are so chic!

32. lbrundage says:

Very, very cute! I am always amazed at how a great pair if pants can be worked up in so many different fabric styles. Now that you have such an easy perfect fit, imagine the possibilities !

These are some of the cutest pants ever! Love your fabric choice!

34. D says:

I too am a devotee of StyleArc patterns and especially their pants. I have made the Wendy pants about 5 times in all different fabrics and each time they go together in a flash and fit beautifully. I have the Willow ready to go and am inspired by your success – they look faaabulous!.
    D :-)

35. nancymorris says:

Great looking pants! Did you by any chance make the sweater? If so, i’d love to know the pattern.

36. danvillegirl says:

Great looking pants. I like that they can be worn with flats or a heel. I like the fabric you chose as well.

37. Jacqui says:

Very nice pants Sarah – and can not wait to see the new improved sewing space. I am in the process of the same tidy up and no blog posts for a while!

38. Pingback: Party Pep – Vogue 8815 | Goodbye Valentino

39. Susan Green says:

After many years of not sewing, I have once again been “bitten by the bug.” So I took to the internet to find what all has changed with regards to sewing, in a nutshell, everything. During my search I ran across your blog and followed the link to Style Arc patterns and absolutely fell in lowe with the styles. Now all I need to do is muster the courage to put my big toe in the water and get started. I am paralized but I think after the first garment, I’ll be good to go.
    You blog is such an inspiration for me!!! I have lived vicariously through all you have been sewing….and dream.

• Dear Susan,
      This is such a nice comment! I am inspired to read that I have inspired you! You are so right to state you’ll be good to go after making that first garment. I found making a skirt is the easiest way to get back into sewing. Good luck and many thanks for writing :)

40. Marcia Swanston says:

I too have been bitten by the sewing bug after many, many years of not. I saw this post last year and have been thinking about this lovely fabric for months and finally bought some. I was wondering how you care for it. Since it’s a cotton/polyester/acrylic do you dare to wash it or send it to the cleaners? Your experience with this fabric would be greatly appreciated. I don’t have much experience with this kind of brocade.

You have a terrific and inspirational blog. Thank you for your wonderful posts illustrating your formidable sewing skills!
    Marcia