New Year’s Spirit! Vogue 8241

I started the New Year generous in spirit by making a dress for my daughter. It’s been over 15 years since I have heard “Will you make me a dress, Mom? ” and she wasn’t referring to a Children’s Corner or Martha Pullen pattern anymore. Mimi wanted a formal dress.

Not only did I make a dress for Mimi, but I made a dress for Mimi with my Mood Fabrics allowance using this baby sequined fabric with a poly-knit mesh base  lined with matching china silk. I bought the fabric at Mood NYC and understand there is a good amount available. I have linked you to the sequined fabric in black, but Mood is steadily adding more sequined fabrics to its online offerings; check back here (or call 1-212-730-5003 for the fabric I used).

IMG_0232China Silk

Due to a busy holiday season we had one day to select the pattern and make a muslin.  Time was of the essence forcing me into a sewing marathon in order to finish the dress on time. My only prerequisite was that Mimi select an easy pattern due to time constraints.  She wanted a dress that can be easily shortened after the event and settled on Very Easy Vogue 8241.

V8241

In making a quick muslin, we faced gaping armholes, but the issue was easily solved by running an ease stitch along the front armhole.

As I sewed the shoulder seams lining and fabric together in an awkward continuous seam, I thought about  Susan Khalje’s preference for completing the lining and bodice as separate pieces and carefully handstitching the two together. I partook in a prayful moment before stepping on the presser foot, and was thankful to discover the seams matched.

While Mimi and I wait for a perfect button to appear, I sewed a metal snap at the back opening which magically disappeared into the fabric.

IMG_0164 2

So without further ado,  h  e  r  e  ’ s   Mimi!

We agree the simplicity of the dress pattern lets this gorgeous fabric speak for itself.

The light affects the color of the sequins which change from champagne to gold to taupe.

…….and it moves well too!

Mimi and I love everything about the dress! We deemed it a true winner when my older daughter asked for a short silk version for spring.  Looks like I’ll be happily making another one :)

Hmmm………….Suddenly the expression

comes to mind. ;)

Have fun, Mimi!

This entry was posted in Easy Sewing, Evening Gown, Mood Fabrics, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

116 Responses to New Year’s Spirit! Vogue 8241

1. Leigh says:

Beautiful dress AND daughter! Great job! :)

2. Jeannie says:

Stunning! I love it!

3. Stunning! Both of them.

Gorgeous daughter and her dress is beautiful. Hope you have time to sew for yourself now!

beautiful dress – I agree with “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime” comment but yet to manage to do it with my family and friends lol

6. Mary Jo Rice says:

This beautiful dress renews my enthusiasm for sewing. The pattern, fabric choice and fit are the perfect combination. Well done!

7. Lovely dress on a lovely daughter. You are blessed with your children and your talent.

8. Gorgeous! Love the simple silhouette to let the fabric be the star.

9. Tracey says:

Beautiful dress and cute daughter! And how clever to ask to have it shortened after the event. I bet after shortening, the extra fabric would make a cute skirt, which seems so ‘in’ right now.

Your work inspires! Thanks for sharing!

10. ewellons says:

Gorgeous. Glam. Red carpet worthy. If only I had a place to wear something like this!

11. TLW says:

Great minds think alike! I first sewed this pattern last summer and it is now one of my favorites. The 5th one, a bronze sequin on a mottled grey/bronze mesh version that I made for the holidays looks very much like your daughter’s! Love this pattern!

12. Joyce Love says:

Beautiful dress on a beautiful girl! I know she appreciates you!

13. Mrs. K says:

I have to agree with all comments above. Mimi looks fantastic.

14. Jacq C says:

Both dress and daughter are stunning. I made a dress for my daughter last year and the deal was she had to help, this was more of a struggle than I thought – for both of us! I’m hoping though that she will get the sewing bug :)

• Hi Jacq! We had such limited time together that Mimi’s job was to iron pattern pieces, hand me pins and be my assistant but maybe one day she’ll take up sewing :) Thank you for the nice comment!

15. She looks lovely! Great job :) I’ll bet the short version will be too cute!

16. Karin says:

She looks beautiful! What a great mom you are to make her such a stunning dress! The less is more approach works especially well on pretty young women.

17. Tonia Van Dyk says:

Oh my goodness – what a fabulous dress! And your daughter is beautiful too :)

18. Absolutely gorgeous dress AND daughter. You are amazing.

19. Pam from South Australia says:

Less is more…..how true. Simple style, gorgeous fabric (& daughter).

20. Joanie says:

BEAUTIFUL DRESS, AND EQUALLY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER.

21. A pretty girl in a pretty dress!

22. Jill says:

Wow! Beautiful!!!

Oh, the simple pattern really showcases this beautiful fabric. She looks stunning. I hope Mimi appreciates having a mother who sews for her. I always did, but not enough! Great job!

24. Lovely dress and great fabric. Did you have problems with the sequins? I always worry they will break beneath the needle

25. lisa g says:

wow! sometimes simple really is best! the sequined fabric is just gorgeous and perfect for that pattern. great work!

26. Judi says:

Gorgeous dress, beautiful daughter!!!

27. Margy Houtz says:

Oh, how pretty! Both the dress and the daughter!

28. Mimi says:

Thanks, Mom!! :) :)

29. sewbusylizzy says:

I’m so glad you chose this pattern. I have it and black sequined fabric but had held off due to some bad reviews!

30. sewruth says:

Gosh, she looks so like you! Beautiful dress (and model). Very well done.

31. Sofie says:

Beautiful – daughter and dress! I made a red sequinned dress for NYE celebrations and also used a simple cowl dress. This is the colour I wanted but they didn’t have any left.

Gorgeous dress and sets of the fabric perfectly.

33. Sally says:

Love the dress, the color and the beautiful model. Well done!!!

34. Alethia says:

I’m with you and Mimi, I love this dress! I love the pattern…I have yet to make it for myself, but I plan to. I’ve made it twice for the same client, both times in velvet…they turned out gorgeous! and, you’re right, the simplicity of the pattern does allow the fabric to speak!! I often imagined it in a sequined fabric…it turned out wonderfully!

35. oonaballoona says:

absolutely jaw dropping. JAW DROPPING!!!

I love this SO MUCH! Absolutely gorgeous. Your daughter is gorgeous, just like you!

37. Lorraine says:

Hi Pauline, My daughter sent me a link to your website and I’m so glad she did. Your daughter and her dress look fabulous and it will look great when you shorten it. My daughter and I are going to have a sewing weekend soon and make a version of the Keira Knightly green dress worn in the film ‘Atonement’……and (the even better news) we are making it with fabric purchased from the Great Gatsby sale here in Sydney recently where they sold a lot of the props, fabrics, etc. after the film was finished. I can’t wait to start sewing the dress for a red carpet function at the Sydney Opera House. I have added your blog to my bookmarks and will be checking on your next creation!
    Best regards,
    Lorraine E.

38. Judy Smitn says:

She’s adorable and the dress is gorgeous!!

39. twotoast says:

Gorgeous dress dress and stunning model! And such luxe fabrics!

Awwwwww, she’s so cute! (And the dress too!). Seriously though…your work on this dress was absolutely great and your daughter looks stunning!

41. Oh my goodness, your daughter is a brunette version of you! She looks fabulous in her new dress, and how fun to have an occasion to wear a formal. Beautiful gown.

42. ZoSews says:

Fabulous dress!!! Were the sequins hard to sew with? I want to make a similar dress (but with a faux wrap / v neck and shoestring strap bodice) but I’m scared of sequins! And don’t really need a floor length sequin number right now, but that’s a minor detail ;)

What a perfect pairing of fabric and pattern – and daughter!! Mimi – you look gorgeous, and I hope you told everyone that your mom made your gorgeous dress! It is really flattering – just lovely!

44. Gail says:

You made the right decision to keep it simple. The results are totally glamourous!

45. Jan Blazejewski says:

Such a beautiful dress and beautiful daughter! Good luck on teaching her to “fish”. My daughter loves for me to sew, but sees no reason to learn since I can. I have talked to other moms with similar experiences. I know there are exceptions and I hope your daughters agree to learn from their very talented mom.

46. michelle says:

I found your blog while I was looking for reviews on this pattern. I have a Charity Gala to go to in less than 3 weeks. I had already bought this pattern and was debating on it and two Burda patterns. After I saw your lovely daughter in the photo, I immediately sat down in my studio and prepared the Vogue pattern!! I desperately looked for EXACTLY the fabric you used and didn’t find it. I have some 5 yards of Crepe Satin in a beautiful bordeaux which I knew would be more than enough for any dress I chose and decided to use it mostly because I thought it would look stunning with my patent leather nude peeptoes! I’m going at it without a muslin…wish me luck!

You’re making me wonder if I could do a fast….maybe start with 6 months??

• Your dress will be beautiful in a bordeaux satin! Are you sure you don’t want to make a muslin – just on the top? I’ve found this to be the key to successful sewing for me because I’ve yet to find a patten that fits perfectly. Please send me a photo of your finished dress and good luck with the sewing!! :)
      PS….. the RTW Fast is a piece of cake :)

47. Carol says:

I made this dress about 8 years ago and loved it. I still have this pattern (it’s classic). Since then I have inherited a hunk of black sequin fabric. I think there will be a wedding soon!!! Thanks for the idea and inspiration! Oh and teaching a man to fish is a good thing! (LOL!)

48. Robin says:

beautiful!! The fabric really looks gorgeous in every light, the sewing is perfect and it looks lovely on your daughter!

49. jlundy6116 says:

Wow, a stunning dress for a stunning girl!

50. Rita says:

The dress is gorgeous. I’m totally jealous cause after trying to make a sequened dress and breaking at least 6 needles I gave up. I was worried I’d wreck the timing on my machine. Any tricks to sewing with sequens?

• Thank you, Rita! This fabric was not heavily sequined which made for easy sewing. The sequins were made of a very light weight plastic. I’ve heard you should take off the sequins in the seam allowance to avoid breaking needles, but I didn’t have to do that with this fabric.
      Don’t give up!!!

51. Yay to the “please sew for me” sound! Soon I know my kids will stop wanting me to make them stuff and I hope one day in the not too distant future they’ll start asking me again. Wonderful fabric choice – I bet it is a dream to wear too. Lovely dress and daughter both.

• Thank you, Calico Stretch! Time flies as it seems like I was making her little girl clothes not too long ago. :) Now that she she’s how grown up sewing is worthwhile after all, I hope she will consider learning one day !

52. Amanda says:

I love that dress. It looks like something Taylor Swift would wear to an awards ceremony.

My mom made all my clothes when I was little & tried to teach me to sew when I was a teenager. Instead, I bought tons of Forever 21 & Target clothes that fell apart after a few washes. Now that I have a job and buy my own clothes, I am frustrated with the quality of clothes. I am also frustrated with how hard it is to find trendy clothes that are appropriate to wear as a teacher (the mall is full of business clothes that are too tight, too short, and too low-cut for teaching). This past summer I taught myself to sew using You Tube videos & blogs (at age 27). When I started to sew more complicated things, I asked my mom to help me. She almost died of shock that I started sewing!

• Hi Amanda – What a great story! I have not tried to teach my daughters to sew yet, and like you, it may be easier to learn the basics from someone other than me :) At any rate you have embraced a life long hobby that can bring about enjoyment on many levels.
      Thank you for the compliment on the dress and for sharing your sewing experience!

53. Heather says:

What a gorgeous dress!

54. Jacqui says:

Beautiful dress for a beautiful girl – Really enjoyed following your journey and look forward to sewing with you in 2013.

55. AJW says:

I am about to make this dress for my college-age daughter — she has a very special event coming up next month. She’s about 2.5 hours away so my fitting timeframe is tight. Am wondering if you could elaborate a bit on how you handled the armhole gaping — did you do a slight gather along the armscye edge and cut the lining a bit smaller to accommodate? I’m thinking about how this came about and having a hard time envisioning it. I am also thinking my daughter will need a slight FBA on this pattern, which may be an additional challenge. But we have beautiful fabric and I’m very excited about diving it. Just looking for any additional insight. Your daughter and her dress are beautiful — am hoping for a similar outcome.

• Hi AJW and thanks for writing. After making the muslin we noticed gaping armholes. I ran an easestitch along the front portion (single stitch line on longest stitch-length setting) along the front armscye edge for the fashion fabric and lining. This completely took care of the problem. Of course I tried this out on the muslin first. Because my fashion fabric was textured and heavy the easestitch was not noticable at all! I hope the solution is as easy for you. Good luck and I’d love to see a pic of the finished dress!

• AJW says:

Incredibly kind of you to answer so quickly — I am greatly appreciative. I will keep this tip in mind as I work on my daughter’s muslin — our fabric is also textured so I suspect the same “fix” will work, if needed, on our version. If all comes together I will be sure to share a pic upon completion. Facing the same time constraint as you did, coupled with the long-distance fitting and sewing issue — I’m fingers X’d that this pattern has as successful an outcome. Thank you again!

56. Coco says:

I am forever in love with pattern. Such a classic line. picture with opera gloves…Beautiful on your DD.

57. Pingback: My Six Month Sewing Commitment | stella-lily's