Odds & Ends – Plus a New Top!

While I wait for my Mood Fabrics to publish my first garment-of-the-year post, I believe it’s a good time to clarify a misconception among some readers.

I have recently received several comments from readers who believe I have continued my RTW Fast into a second year. Not so….. just my blog!

When I completed my Ready-to-Wear Fast on August 31st, 2012, I continued my blog but I did not renew my fast. It was two months after completing the Fast before I walked into a dress shop with a new discriminating eye and bought my first RTW in 14 months. I wrote about the experience HERE.  My sparse shopping trips have filled in the glaring wardrobe gaps I discovered during the RTW Fast, but I am continually grateful to be rid of my past dependency of retail shopping.

I guess one might say I’m in a maintenance program now!

_________________________

Soon, I will be reviewing an Online Sewing Class for Craftsy entitled

Sew the Perfect Fit, by Lynda Maynard.

Sew the Perfect Fit

Widely known in the industry as a fit specialist, Linda Maynard has authored two books including her CD book Demystifying Fit. Vogue pattern 8766 is included with the class and is illustrated throughout the lessons.

__________________________

Lastly, I made a blouse/top.  After placing this McCall’s pattern on the list of misses for 2012, I decided I should give it another chance.

M6513

My first top (HERE) ended up rather bulky due to a large cut and heavy spandex fabric.

I snatched this lively equestrian spandex upon first sight because it reminded me of an expensive equestrian silk print.

This fabric is lighter in weight and I cut a size smaller. I also shortened the length so I could tuck it in when needed.

The fit is better but not perfect.

I am pleased that it fits nicely under sweaters, almost resembling a scarf!

But I am ready to learn the tricks of the trade for fitting especially during my maintenance program :)

More soon!

This entry was posted in Craftsy, McCall's Sewing Pattern, Mood Fabrics, Ready to Wear Fast, Sewing Tops, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Odds & Ends – Plus a New Top!

1. Gail says:

I’m excited to sew your new top as this pattern is next up in the sewing pile. Great fabric choice

2. Dilliander says:

Lovely top and I may just join you in Linda’s class!

3. Pam from South Australia says:

Great versatile top and looks good with the cardi too.

4. Lorraine says:

Lovely top – great colors!

5. laurahoj says:

I look forward to your review of the class. I definitely want to take this one. Fitting is definitely something I am working on presently.

6. missparayim says:

That top looks great! I am lookin forward to that class. I signed up last week, but haven’t had time to watch it yet.

7. Aileen says:

Where did you find the beautiful equestrian print? Your top is wonderful. You look great in the do over top. Spanky

Sent from my iPad

8. Heatherspher says:

What a gorgeous print and style on you!

Looks very pretty, anxious to hear about your class.

The top is so cute! I really like it!

11. Andrea says:

Ooh, love this fabric,! Your shirt turned out looking lovely on you,but I get what you mean about perfecting the fit. Did you make the pretty grey sweater?

12. velosewer says:

Excellent design choice as can be see by how you can add it to your existing collection. Very clever!

13. ZoSews says:

I’ve been wanting to read a review of this new Craftsy course, so I look forward to hearing what you think.

14. hazel walker England says:

fantastic just what we need to lift our spirits this dark dull frosty grey morning……….. you inspire us. hazel walker

15. Sally says:

Really like the fabric!

16. mzsweetpea says:

HONEY BUNNY-You look marvelous! Love the print and fit….I think you’ve embraced knits rather well. I love looking at all the trends, then figuring out what I want for ME….I have a beautiful soft wool Liberty, yes a Liberty print on wool……you’ve inspired me, going to cut it out TODAY!
    Laura

17. mzsweetpea says:

PS: I’m a seasoned sewist, and can fit myself rather well, do you still think the CRAFTY class would still be of benefit to a girl like me? Laura

18. Madeline says:

Signed up for the craftsy class! I have been sewing for a while but I never get the fit right! Love you top and love the blog. I may even get inspired to try “fasting” for a year!

19. cute tops, that pattern is so similar to the one I just made. love the equestrian print, great color on you. And I think the Craftsy classes are fantastic, as an advanced sewer there is always more to learn and they are so well done. I am impressed with them.

I like that blouse pattern made up in a print much better than the “plain fabric” examples shown. That blue print is gorgeous!

21. A very beautiful hue of blue and a nice print – the top is great! I like you cardigan too.

your blue version looks so much nicer, enjoy the class

23. Sewer says:

In your upcoming review of the Maynard class, I’d be most interested in learning if it gives instructions for people without dress forms or fitting buddies. I don’t want to spend the money if I can’t use do this on my own. I had a problem with the Craftsy class on couture sewing because I couldn’t fit the pattern on my own. Some classes promise too much.

Wow, you may think this top is better suited for another body type…However, I think this top does your body GOOD! Beautiful!

25. joen says:

I just cut out a top view B fromt he McCall pattern. Iam using a light weight sweater knit so I’m glad the lighter weight fabrics work best! I love your top so I may try that style next.

26. Lynne says:

Oh, cute. Stylish, flattering, cute top!