Hits – Misses – Reflections – Inspirations – Goals

8315105308_bc40cf06e5_o

2012 was a great year full of new adventures for me which included more sewing than I thought I was capable of. I know by now that even our mistakes are worthwhile, although it’s the successes  I like to celebrate. Below is my honest appraisal of the Best and Worst of 2012 :)

HITS

TOP FIVE HITS – NEW PROJECTS

Vogue 8648 – The first thought that pops to mind is – “Thank you, Susan Khalje for teaching me how to make a dress that fits!” What a winner this is :)

Vintage Simplicity 7715 – Though I don’t have the opportunity to wear this dress as much as others I’ve made, it’s one of my favorite dresses ever. I always feel special when I wear it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Butterick 5415. I love the simple pattern paired with a beautiful bold silk and wear this tunic often. I used the couture techniques of underlining and inserting a zipper by hand making this simple pattern special.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Simplicity 2584 – My go to summer dress! From the streets of Barcelona to the grocery store at home, I threw on this dress constantly. I love the color combinations found in the fabric.

Butterick 5615 – So many elements of my first blouse with buttons came together nicely for this flattering top. I’ve made it in a black silk and hope to make it again.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

TOP FIVE REFASHIONS

REFASHIONS

1. Lilly Pulitzer dress to top

2. Thrift store 80s silk dress to top

3. Favorite floral pants made magazine pretty

4. Too tight sequined dress  to top

5. Thrift store dress made chic

TOP FIVE MISSES

Very Easy Vogue 7812 – What can I say other than Yuk. My first pair of pants in years!  I modified a perfectly good pattern and chose the wrong fabric, a stretch khaki that bags in the knees and seat.

New Look 6922 - There is nothing wrong with the pattern and the dress is cute, but it doesn’t fit. One of my first knit sewing projects – cotton jersey was the wrong choice of fabric.

IMG_0625McCall’s 6513 – This top is too bulky for comfort. I was trying to recreate a favorite RTW and missed big time.

Vogue 9771  – The drape of this top was not what it appeared in the pattern illustration.  I wear the top but the outcome was slightly disappointing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Vogue 8833 – And why did I add a silk ribbon ruffle to this shirt???? My choice of quilting cotton was not the best for this pattern either.

The process was actually quite painless!

It’s pretty clear I have learned to make dresses during 2012, and have a lot to learn about sewing with knits and making tops. Hopefully I won’t repeat the same mistakes or get stuck in the rut of staying in my comfort level!

____________________________

Thank you for being part of my blog during 2012. Sharing my projects with the world has inspired me to always put forth my best efforts in sewing and writing. I consider every comment valuable and am grateful to all who take the time to write.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year full of creative successes and beautiful memories!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Hits – Misses – Reflections – Inspirations – Goals

1. Shams says:

Wow, a most impressive list. Your misses are pretty nice, as misses go! You are poised to have a really impressive 2013! Happy New Year!

2. Naomi says:

It has been a delight to follow you this past year. Your posts are an inspiration to all as we aspire to expand our sewing skills and achieve our fashion goals. Happy New Year!!!

It has been a thrill to watch you sew this year! Can’t wait to see what you make in 2013!

4. Miriam says:

I wish my projects came out as well as your misses! You are truly an inspiration and I look forward to all of your posts. Thanks for taking the time to post and all the best in 2013 to you and your lovely family.

5. ewellons says:

You have been an inspiration to so many this year! And it helps everyone to know that “misses” happen — even to you!

6. hazel walker England says:

I totally agree with all the other recent comments, thankyou so much for takin g the time to send the pics to us ‘would-be-sewers’ around the world, I have 3 projects on the go just now, don’t know if I dare show you them, I will wait for a sunny day, not much of that around here tho just now, happy new year to all you ladies, kind regards Hazel Walker

7. Love what you’ve done – and even the ‘misses’ aren’t all that bad…just learning experiences :) Hope you have a wonderful New Years! Can’t wait to see what’s in store for you in 2013!

8. I am hoping to do what you are doing….. In your opinion what is the best “learn to sew” video? I am not all together new at sewing but not at all good either. Thanks, Elizabeth

• Hi Elizabeth!
      Since I knew how to sew when I started my blog, I never bought any learn to sew videos. However, I think Diana Rupp’s sewing studio on Craftsy is excellent for a novice sewer. Keep me posted on your progress and many thanks for writing!

Happy New Year, Sarah. It’s been fun being your sewing colleague this year and I’m so happy we’ve “met”. You’ve had a fafabulous sewing year and should be extremely proud. All the best to you in 2013! dorcas

10. Elaine says:

I loved your Vogue 8648 in beige also. It inspired me to sign up for Susan’s class which I have yet to begin (going to soon) and Diana Rupp’s Sewing Studio class which I completed. Your striped skirt with border from McCall’s 3830 was a favorite of mine and I have enjoyed skirts made from that pattern since seeing yours — so much so that I bought an extra copy to have on hand. Finally, you introduced me to sewing with fabrics from Mood. As I didn’t order the swatches that they offer, I have had some surprises as far as scale of design (think striped skirt!), but it was fun deciding how best to use the beautiful fabrics even though they might not have been exactly what I was expecting. Thanks for the inspiration and I look forward to seeing what you sew in 2013!

• Elaine,
      Thank you so much for your comment! I love the beige 8648 too but when choosing between the two I went for the floral. I’m delighted to know my posts inspired you to sew and even more delighted to know you did so successfully! You will love Susan Khalje’s class. If you are pleased with your Mood Fabrics, I hope you will send photos to Meg at the Mood blog – http://www.moodfabrics.com/blog/.
      Good luck with your 2013 sewing :)

11. You have had a great year of sewing. Happy new year!

12. Mary says:

Very enjoyable ‘hits and misses’ recap. I can see why those dresses were in constant use–so comfy, yet stylish.

13. Sandy says:

Regarding the last photo…the Vogue 8813…is that the correct pattern number? I looked it up and it seemed to be something entirely different. I love lurking on your blog, and I can say that if I did comment, I’d essentially be repeating what others say, i.e., I really think your garments are beautiful, that your are a very skilled sewist and it’s been a treat to look forward to what you’ll create next!

14. Joen says:

You certainly had more hits then misses. I love Simplicty 2584 too I made a wonderful blue and white tunic that I loved. Your dress looks lovely and you have reminded me I need to make something else using S2584. Thanks for all your sewing inspiration in 2012 and have a Happy New Year!

15. Kay says:

I love reading your posts, as always! Here’s to another happy and fulfilling journey in the new year!

16. Eliza says:

You have a wonderful sense of style and I always enjoy your posts. Congratulations on such a prolific and inspiring year!

17. Margy Houtz says:

So lovely to have “met” you…your projects are beautiful (yes, even the “misses”) and I look forward to your posts.

Thank you for a wonderful year of inspiration and beauty. Happy 2013!

19. Mollie Bobo says:

Inspiration galore for us more mature chic chicks! We should all look fabulous next year!

20. Meredith P says:

Just recently found your blog and I love your style. I find many things that you are making that I already have or will put on my “to do” list. Great list of 2012 things. And even your “misses” are pretty good! :-)

Very impressive garments, I really love the second dress, it looks fabulous on you. Isn’t it fun to look back, also helps to see what we wear and don’t wear. Happy new year.

22. Joyce Plunkett says:

Happy New Year! Love your blog and agree that your misses are not too awful – although that brown knit dress… enh. “Glad” that you found V9771 to be weird too; I thought maybe it was just my body “structure”, but that’s not a problem for you and it still doesn’t look like their illustration!

Thanks for the inspiration!
    JoyceP in WI

23. It’s been fun to be a part of your sewing adventures this past year. Thanks for including me and I’m looking forward to what 2013 brings!
    Beth

Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing what gorgeous creations you create this year.

25. twotoast says:

Happy New Year to you too! Your garments are all very classy and you have been a great inspiration in the RTW Fasters challenge.

I look forward to seeing your garments in 2013!

Wow, what a stellar lineup! Every garment you made feels so special and fresh! I’m so excited to see the projects you come up with in 2013!

27. No wadders there at all! That’s cool. Its been lovely to read your writings and I’m so glad you didn’t stop at the end of your ‘year’. Happy New Year to you too.

28. Vicki says:

I’m glad I found your blog last year (2012). You have made some beautiful garments. I think the “misses” are still perfectly lovely.

29. Elizabeth says:

I loved all your dresses and tunics. Very chic. Happy new year!

30. Gail says:

I absolutely adore your pink and orange tunic – this is my weekend style too. Can I ask where you bought this fabric? I would love to access some through an online purchase.

• Hi Gail! Thank you. This is an Amy Butler fabric from the Love Collection. I believe the colors are sandlewood and tangerine. The photo link will take you to the post which should provide a further link to the fabric. I ordered the fabric in 2010 but I’m not sure from where – maybe quilt.com. Good luck and let me know if you find it :)

31. Victoria says:

Wow Lady, you’ve done alot of great sewing for the year!!!! I appreciate your sewing adventures and candidness!!!! And the fact that you can make such classy clothes for such a pretty Lady as yourself. I look forward to following along with you in 2013:)

32. kattheengineer says:

I love the variety of projects you’ve shown here – even the ‘misses’ ;-)

You always choose such perfect fabrics for the designs you sew, and you inspire me to be a little more bold with my choices! Thank you!

What interesting choices for all categories! I really enjoyed your commentary on each one – which is instructive for all of us who are always striving for that perfect sewn creation! Happy Sewing for 2103!

• My top five choices were based on the clothes I wear the most (with the exception of the silk ruffled dress). I’m not sure I could have selected five favorites because I’m emotionally attached to all of them. Many thanks for writing, Karen! :)

34. sewruth says:

You have been such an inspiration and ‘mentor’ to me (and others) in 2012 – you realise you now have a reputation to maintain? Well done on your hits, we’ll skip the misses – just learn from them.
    Thanks for everything last year and let’s look forward to the next.

35. I’m glad I’ve found your blog, even if I am a little late to the party :)

Thanks for your nice comment on my pattern review and for following my blog. I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful creations!

Katrina

36. G says:

Happy New Year! I’ve nominated you for the One Lovely Blog/Very Versatile Blogger. The rules are in my last post…

37. Jan says:

I enjoy reading about your sewing adventures and can’t wait to see what you have in store for the new year!