Vogue 8742

Whew! (click Like if you feel the same way)

On the First Day of Christmas my true love gave to me…….

On the Third Day of Christmas I found myself alone, ;)

Which meant by the Fourth Day of Christmas I had made a new dress.

And on the Fifth Day of Christmas…….. I made it to the beach.IMG_0053O h  H a p p y   D a y !

Would you believe my husband said of all the dresses I’ve made, this is his favorite?

This dress was  s o  e a s y  to make that it belongs in a different category from the dress projects requiring blood, sweat and tears. I know why hubby likes the dress so much, but if I was more experienced in sewing knits he would like it even better because it would fit far more snugly.

The dress pattern, Vogue 8742 is described as close-fitting.

V8742

V8742 line Being a novice with knits, I was fearful it would be too tight, and cut the pattern a size larger. What a mistake! Although the viscose/spandex fabric was easy to work, the dress fits looser than intended – even after sewing extra large seams.

Read my pattern review HERE.

12:30 dress

With two and a half more days left in the holiday season, I can cheerfully enjoy a couple of indulgences in my colorful dress with the loose and forgiving fit.

IMG_0060This also means in 3 and a half days I’ll be back home wearing the winter hues of black and gray trying to camouflage the extra couple of pounds as I live into my New Year’s resolutions.

More on that later.

This entry was posted in Sewing Dresses, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Vogue 8742

This is SO CUTE! I love it! Oh, boys… their favorites are always for the same reason… :)

2. Laura says:

Knits are so fun to work with! This dress is great- I love the print.

3. AmyG says:

Looks fantastic – yiu are such an inspiration to me. 2013 is going to be my sewing year.

This is wonderful on you! I love the print you used!

5. Gail says:

Its a beautiful dress, but really what extra pounds?

6. It’s freeking GORgeous!!!! OMG, I’m in love with the print!!! I love how you’ve paired it with the dark brown tights and boots, soo chic.

7. Spanky Rykiel says:

I love your dress and the print you chose. Where did you find such a bright knit?
    What extra lbs?

8. Joyce Love says:

Beautiful, Sarah! Happy New Year!
    Question for you – I think I’ve seen a dress form in some of your blog posts (?) I’m thinking of getting one & wondered if you have any recommendations. I’ve seen some tutorials on making your own using plaster & papier mache, & while I like the idea of having an exact replica of my form, the process looks a little daunting.

• Thank you, Joyce! My dress form is old and doesn’t resemble my body 30 years ago. I need a new one too. The sky is the limit with dress forms as you can have a custom form made to duplicate your shape. I’ve been told the dress forms at JoAnn’s coupled with a padding system work well. Let me know what you decide on!

9. jillybe says:

VERY flattering – nice job! And congrats on the camera – I have the Canon PowerShot G2 – undoubtedly an antique by digital standards, but it’s still going strong after all these years and I love it – great choice!

This is gawgous! You have done it again. I love this, and it looks terrific on you. Did you get that print at Mood?

Fantastic dress and love the way you have styled it.

Beautiful work! I like this dress a lot! I made one a few weeks ago in a cream colored Ponte knit, but didn’t like it once complete. So I didn’t post it. I like yours so much, I may try again with another color.

13. ewellons says:

Love the dress. It looks fab on you — and the fabric is perfect, as always. I got a camera for Christmas too — but it hasnt’ arrived yet. Hope I can figure it out!

• Is that you, Cissie? Do I detect the beginnings of a blog? :) :)
      Thanks for the nice comment and I hope you love your camera as much as I love mine! What a difference!

• ewellons says:

Tis I, Sarah! I started playing around with the idea before Christmas but have made little (meaning “no”) progress. I am so computer illiterate that this may be beyond me!

14. You and your dress are fabulous! Very nice merge of fabric and style.

gorgeous dress, I really like the fabric and your styling

16. Velosewer says:

Congratulations on getting a new camera. Your dress is wonderful and styled just right!

17. sewbusylizzy says:

You are so good at making me think I need another pattern! I love the gathering in the seams. I recently threw out a RTW dress which was a little similar as it was pilling…
    And my true love got me the same camera earlier this year.
    Happy new year!

• Hi Lizzy! Of course you need another pattern :) Aren’t they on sale right now?
      I’m loving the Canon G12 and am so relieved to have a camera that takes clear pics.
      Many thanks for writing!

18. Shams says:

It’s a beautiful dress and I love the print! Happy New Year!

19. Jeannie says:

Stunning! You are my inspiration for 2013.

lovely dress happy new year

21. A beautiful dress on a beautiful woman with a beatiful back ground!

22. Jacq C says:

Totally gorgeous dress and I see no extra pounds! Happy New Year :)

23. jlundy6116 says:

Gorgeous dress! The fabric is beautiful, great colors. I’ll have to try this pattern!

24. Julie Starr says:

Jstarr4250 said…
    I love every version of this dress I’ve seen and yours is wonderful. The fabric is gorgeous! Happy New Year to you…enjoy those Carolina blue skies at the beach! Cold though…we had our first frost of the winter overnight.

25. I love this dress on you and how you have styled it – fantastic!
    I always associate of going to the beach in summer – so it’s a little to strange to see you wearing a long sleeved dress and boots at the beach!!! Mind you it’s summer here and today was rather hot, so that probably is messing with my mind etc!!!!
    Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing more of your creations in 2013.

• Thank you so much, Jennifer! The dress in a bold print has a completely different look than the one featured on the pattern cover, but it’s a fun dress that will go with boots OR FLIPFLOPS at the beach :) I prefer the beach in summer too, though there is a unique beauty to winter days here.

26. Laura says:

FABULOUS…..Keep up the good work regarding knits…they are my favorite fab to sew! You always inspire me! Happy New Year-Laura in Asheville

• Thank you, Laura! What I find tricky about knits is understanding the stretch of unique fabrics. I’m hanging in there with them – hopefully by 2014 I’ll know what I’m doing :)

27. jenleanne says:

Drats, my first comment seems to have disappeared!
    Fantastic dress and I love how you have styled it – although I do find the idea of a wintery looking dress , boots and scarf a little disconcerting at the beach – probably because it’s summer here at the moment and today has been rather hot and I’m associating beaches with hot weather etc!!!
    I’ve just ordered the pattern from BMV – I’m so easily led!
    Happy New year from 2013 – it’s now 12.02am here!

28. Sally says:

Absolutely LOVE this pattern! The photos on the beach are wonderful!

That’s a beautiful dress, Sarah, and it looks great on you, too. How do you like those ruched side seams? I’m always afraid details like that won’t translate well in the final fit, but it looks like they work very well??
    I can’t quite believe you can be on the beach without at least a jacket! But – it makes the perfect setting for showing off your newest creation.

• Thank you, Karen! I was hesitant about the ruching but I absolutely love the result! Next go around will definitely be in a smaller size as I believe the ruching is intended to enhance a tighter fit. Fortunately the weather warmed another 10 degrees and has been beautiful for New Year’s :)

30. Janet Wheeler says:

Love the dress. You truly are an inspiration.

31. June says:

Your description of your husband made me crack up. You did a beautiful job with the dress, what a way to head into the new year! Congratulations. I look forward to seeing more of your creations in 2013!

32. Claire says:

What a pretty dress! I love the gathers on the princess seams.

Love it! That print is so pretty- what color can’t you wear, miss?

34. Kat says:

This is a very flattering style, and looks perfect for a few seasons – you’ve layered it well, but I can imagine it looking nice with less layers too! Happy New Year, and thank you for filling 2012 with interesting and beautiful sewing reviews :-)

35. Amanda S. says:

Very nice! I keep meaning to make this pattern. It’s nice to hear how easy it is.

36. lbrundage says:

Well, it’s just fabulous. What a winning dress!

37. Sally Sews says:

Hi you have a great sense of colour and are not afraid of print it is good to see someone not scared of trying new things ths worse is bothering to see but just making something in black for the asks of it cheers Sally

38. Pingback: What I Did For Love | Goodbye Valentino