Razook’s Remake

Smile Granny!” joked my husband.

photo copyThis is all I need to look twenty years older – a matronly dress and no makeup.

Ta-da!

My mother recently gave me her latest thrift store find, suggesting I might want to do a little something with it.

Hmmm….I was immediately attracted to the beautiful Pantone color of  2013 silk, and then noticed the Razook’s label inside (once an exclusive women’s apparel store).

photo It was a go.

Deciding what to do with the dress was harder than the remake.

photo

I eventually settled on the following:

1. Cut off the sleeves.
  2. Measured and sewed side seams. The dress had pockets which were discarded.
  3. Measured new armscye  beginning 2 ½  inches out from the neck edge. Starting at the top of the shoulder I graded the new armscye to a ½ inch adjustment.

Until this point I wanted to remake the dress as a dress, but no longer.

4. Cut off 15 inches of length and made bias strips with the discarded fabric.

5.  Finished the armholes with new bias strips.

6.  Hemmed.

razooks remake

The dress had a gathered yoke in the back and forward gathered shoulder seams making fitting easy. No darts to worry about!

IMG_2184IMG_2174

I left the neckline alone and really like the asymmetrical, curved buttoned opening.

When worn with a sweater I can even wear it to church and meetings, but for now Granny wants to wear it to Hubby’s annual holiday dinner party!

IMG_2212 2

Si?  :)

This entry was posted in DIY, remaking clothes, silk, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

134 Responses to Razook’s Remake

1. So, so cute! You did exactly what I’d have done with this (only you actually DID it, and did it WELL!). Beautiful color on you – and a wonderful piece to start with. What fun to breathe life into an outdated, but well made garment! Your mother will love what you did – and so will everyone who sees this!

Well done – again!

2. Absolutely stunning!! Great job!

3. Shams says:

Wow, what an effective remake! That is very cute!

4. Rose says:

LOL, Granny! What a beautiful remake! I love the color – It’s a good one for you.

5. Robin says:

very pretty blouse! you look fab!

6. Teri says:

That is totally awesome!

7. velosewer says:

Hooly dooly. What a wonderful remake.
    Awesome turn around. I’m gobsmacked!

Wow, what a makeover, great job.

9. Tia Dia says:

You are completely brilliant!

10. Joyce Love says:

Another winner, Sarah! It looks wonderful on you!

11. Sandra Wylie says:

I love what you did with the granny dress, and that color looks fantastic on you.

12. I love this!!!! Makes me want to go thrifting:)

13. Jenny says:

Beautiful! Looks great on you too

14. Alethia says:

(singing) Loooov-iiiitttttt!!!!! :o))))

15. Laura says:

It is fabulous! That color is beautiful.

16. Irene says:

What a wonderful remake! Looks absolutely lovely.

17. Well, That was a really good remake! You have fun at the party! :)

18. jillybe says:

Gorgeous! This is one HIGHLY successful remake!

19. Janet Wheeler says:

Wow, beautiful blouse! Make me want to hit the thrift shops.

• Thank you, Janet! It makes me want to hit them too – for some reason my mother is the one who does this. I’ve never tried though and probably shouldn’t as I’m afraid I’d bring home too much stuff just because it’s cheap :)

20. Carolanne says:

Whoa! It’s beautiful on you and what a transformation!

Great new top! Love how you refashioned the dress and your new top is perfect for the holiday party!

22. Carola says:

I had to laugh when I saw the first photo and I even showed it to my hubby! He told me I had better NOT decide to ever sew something like that!! Ha ha, and that was until we scrolled down and saw your stunning re-make. Very flattering! Well done! You’re opening my eyes to charity store shopping!

Fabulous – you have made a winner! What an incredible save – and I’ll bet you are the best dressed at that annual dinner! And of course very chic in the “in” color, too!

• Thank you, Karen! I doubt I’ll be the best dressed – some are into $$$$$$$$ clothes, but the more I sew the more turned off I am by extravagantly expensive clothes with an exception here and there. :)

24. Barbara Russel says:

This is just hard to believe…but seeing is believing. Bravo!

Gorgeous and a definite winner.

26. Hey, I love the refashion!!! The color is so flattering on you.

27. Sew4Fun says:

Oh wow! Awesome transformation!

28. Gail says:

Good fabric in a hideous garment is always salvagable! Love your new blouse.

29. Judi says:

Your mom sure picked the right dress! How she knew to buy that…wow…I wish I could go thrift store shopping with her!!! …and you turned it into a gorgeous blouse…just amazes me!!!

30. Mollie Bobo says:

It’s a WOW! I’m going to The Salvation Army Store right after Christmas.

31. june lovell says:

too absolutely gorgeous. thanks for sharing.

32. stunning, mothers always know what colours suit their kids best!

33. Rosalia says:

Love the refashioned finished blouse. Gorgeous color, awesome job!

34. Sigrid says:

What a change. It’s awesome result

35. sue says:

You have a great eye for the re-fashion. The top is fab!

So pretty and festive. A perfect remake! Your mother has access to much nicer thrift shops than I do! But I remember doing lots of damage at Razook’s back in the day!

• Thank you, Cissie! My mother volunteers twice a month through her church at a thrift shop in Southern Pines. The men really make out like bandits – lots of never worn expensive golf shirts etc…
      I patronized Razooks only two or three times – hated seeing it close :(

37. I love that colour on you. And that top is va va voom! Not remotely ‘Granny’!

38. Laura says:

FABULOUS…..I would have trashed it all….but a good save by you! Smashing!

39. Marie says:

From frump to vavoom! Love it.

40. Florencia says:

Felíz Navidad, la-la-la-la-laaa…Felíz Navidad, la-la-la-la-laaaa :) Hermosa transformacion! Ups! I’ve got carried away with the Spanish :) Beautiful transformation! Love the color! Looks great on you! Happy Holidays!!!

41. Lydia Ruiz says:

What a beautiful transformation! :) Truly inspiring!

42. You are a great conjurer! Just like the mice did in Cinderella you turned the oldfashioned dress into a modern garment.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

43. Margy Houtz says:

Amazing transformation! It’s lovely on you!

44. Joy says:

Fabulous re-make, love it! nice colour and fabric too!

Gadzooks! What you’ve done with that Razooks! Talk about knocking off years! A very swish remake. Pantone’s 2013 colour of the year is so much more universally flattering than last year’s Tangerine Dream….(much as I loved it)

• Holy pincushions! You should have been a writer for Batman….. or should I say Robin :) Thank you, CherryPix for the great comment, and I agree that the 2013 color will flatter all skin tones and hair colors!

46. D says:

Love the transformation!! and just wonderful that a beautiful piece of fabric lives on :-). It would be just perfect for an Australian summer Christmas :-)
    Merry Christmas!

47. Sandra says:

Fabulous! You’re a miracle worker.

Great save and what a beautiful color on you. I never think about buying thrift shop clothing for the fabric but it might be a great idea! Thanks and Merry Christmas!
    dorcas

• Thank you, Dorcas! I’ve never been thrift store shopping myself, but my mother volunteers through her church at a wonderful thrift shop resulting in great finds every now and then. Merry Christmas to you!

49. Liza D. says:

Wow, talk about repurposing. That horrible dress is now a beautiful, very flattering blouse. I SO envy your skills!!

Say, what a lovely refashion! I never would’ve realized that this fashionable top came from that awful dress! What a great eye you have for refashioning!

What a wonderful idea and a wonderful job refashioning! This is an absolutely perfect example of showcasing your many sewing talents!

52. poppykettle says:

I wouldn’t have known where to start with that granny dress… couldn’t believe my eyes when I scrolled down to see what you did with it. Very inventive!

53. Sewellen says:

Wow!!! That is so gorgeous! You really knocked this upcycle out of the park!

54. Almeda says:

Shut the front door!!!!!! I will certainly look at thrift store dresses differently in the new year!!!! Hats off to your Mom and congratulations to you both for great team work!!! I am sure you were the ‘bell of the ball’ at your hubby’s holiday party. Merry Christmas. I look forward to following your blog in 2013 to see more of your wonderful inspirations! What fun. :) Greetings from Canada and an aspiring sewing blogger. Is it ever too late??:)

Almeda

• What a wonderful comment, Almeda! My mother volunteers at a thrift shop through her church and often has first pick (not that I would have ever picked out this dress) giving her a slight advantage. I think the secret is to start with something a little too big.
      I wasn’t the bell of the ball since some women wear $$$$$$ clothing to the dinner, but mine was certainly holiday worthy! ……. and no, it’s never too late! :) :)

55. judysmith50@gmail.com says:

WOW! That looks fantastic!!

Sent from my iPhone

56. Maggie Edger says:

The blouse looks wonderful. What talent you are displaying and having fun with. A. Maggie

57. Lynne says:

Well done! Who knew Granny could be such a babe?
    LOVE it!

58. Patti Hall says:

I love your reinvention! This reminds me of the wonderful skirt you made from a maternity dress. If you like this type of inspiration, check out http://www.newdressaday.com and see what Marisa has come up with over the past few years. I think you will find out that thrift shops are treasure troves of sewing inspiration and supplies. I go there for zippers and buttons ( check the $1 rack at Goodwill) but have also found great items at church yard sales, etc. Once I made Christmas pillows that mimicked Pottery Barn pillows from a silk skirt ( a yard sale find). I have a Christmas tree skirt that was actually a red velvet skirt from Scandinavia (complete with beautiful embroidery) – found it at a church yard sale. It is fun to look at items and not see them as dresses or blouses, etc. but as fabric and notions. Merry Christmas and thank you for making me see the light. 2013 is going to be my year to sew again!!

• Hi Patti! Thank you for the comment and for introducing me to newdressaday! What a fun blog!
      It’s my mother who does the thrift store shopping.. and I ‘m glad she does as she has an eye for bargains :) It sounds like YOU have an eye for bargains too!
      Good luck with your sewing and I can’t wait to see what you make!

59. black label says: