Vogue 8669

Thirty – eight degrees outside and a sleeveless cotton top?

As temperatures go down thermostats go up …..sometimes to  s u m m e r   temperatures. Fortunately, I can pare down the layers to this top made of soft organic cotton from Mood Fabrics. This wonderful fabric is just as soft as those extraordinarily   l o n g  Velvet  cotton t-shirts found in cute boutiques at cute prices.

The environmentally friendly fabric, free from pesticides and chemical fertilizers feels great against my skin and will allow me to comfortably sit through long meetings in hot conference rooms all winter long!

VOGUE 8669

Having successfully sewn this Vogue pattern once before, I knew 1 ½ hours of sewing time was all I needed from start to finish, and the One Yard Wonder was made for $12…. who knows, if  I wear this top as much as I believe I will it might become a Twelve Month Wonder.

Easy, wearable and affordable……..If only all clothes were this accommodating !

Stay warm and keep cool :)

This entry was posted in cotton jersey, Easy Sewing, Mood Fabrics, sewing blog, Sewing Tops, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Vogue 8669

1. Anna says:

Very nice, and I love the color. Did you also make the pants and the black cardigan? If so, what patterns? Thanks, Anna

• Hi Anna and thanks for writing! I made the black pants in the first photo found HERE
      The pants in the last photo are Talbots RTW which I bought in 2006. The sweater is an Eileen Fisher I’ve had for a while. I have no idea how to knit :)

2. Lauren says:

I love the drape of the neckline in this pattern. Have you made it in the 3/4 sleeve for fall and winter wear? Would love to see it if you have.

3. Teri says:

Oh boy, another cowl pattern to add to my collection! This looks fabulous on you Sara. Love the color and the combo of the belt and sweater. Cooler temps have certainly arrived. It was 17 degrees at my house this morning when I got up.

4. Pendle Stitches says:

$12 v $86 (plus shipping) makes a very good argument for sewing, IMHO. Add to that the fact that this looks adorable on you and it’s a complete no-brainer. I can see this fabulous top getting a lot of wear.

nice cowl top – I have made quite a few of these this year, but am now thinking of making a long-sleeved version seeing as our weather is the polar opposite of yours right now.

• Hi Pauline! I’ve made the long sleeve version and actually like aspects about it more than this one, such as the weight of the sleeves holds the cowl neckline in place better. Many thanks for writing!

Very pretty top, it looks great on you.

7. artattack024 says:

Cute! Great color…almost looks like sueded silk…

8. Martha says:

Knit, right? Adorable. I’m adding it to my wish list. Do you promise I will look just like you?

• Hi Martha – Yes, it’s knit! I can promise anyone they can look just like me if they are willing to spend days at the hairdresser, $$$$$$ on lots of makeup and hours at the gym. Goodness – where do I find the time to sew? :) :)

9. That’s very cute! Some of these patterns are so hard to judge from the pattern envelope. I need some layering options in my wardrobe. I’ll be pulling this one out of the pattern basket :)

The fabric sounds wonderful to wear! I love cowl necks – haven’t tried to make on one in a woven fabric though. That colour green is great on you!
    Further to the Steam-a-Seam discussion, do you just steam and leave the fabric fused, for a very clean finish? Does it stay fused, after washing? I top stitched over mine …just wondering if this is necessary?

• Hi Cherry! This is a knit fabric. I haven’t washed it yet, but Dorcas from Art Attack suggested I may to stitch over the SaS before washing. This may become of those Trial and Error projects. Many thanks for writing :)

11. Jacqui says:

That is a really nice look Sara – interesting how different fabrics change a look of a top. This one is a winner – do I need this pattern hmmmm??? On a stash diet as well as RTW!!

12. Laura says:

Love the top and how you wear it……very put together! I work at Waechter’s Fine Fabrics (only on Wed. afternoon-right after tennis) and you live in Spartanburg SC…..have you ever been to “W” it’s a fabulous store….!

• Hi Laura and thanks for writing! I love Waechter’s Fine Fabrics – a very lovely and unique Fabric Store. I was there approximately 3 weeks ago with a friend who was ready to start sewing again. This is where I was introduced to Steam a Seam !! :) :)

• Laura says:

Steam a seam changed my sewing life! I took a technique class @ Waechter’s from Louise Cutting, from Cutting Line Designs…..and I now use it for all hems, and anything I want to stabilize before sewing…love the stuff….and BTW love your blog! LAURA

13. judy says:

Beautiful top and the fabric sounds perfect… Happy sewing.

14. You have made ​​so many great tops lately and this one has an absolutely gorgeous color. You are a very good seamstress and give me a lot of inspiration.

What a great, easy and yet so simple top! I guess that’s the meaning of simply elegant!

16. oonaballoona says:

methinks i must get to mood and snag some of that. this is so perfectly gorgeous on you!

Great top. I, too, love sleeveless tops all year round. I have a very drapey ponte knit (not nearly as stable as most of them are) and have been searching for just the right pattern. Wonder if this would easily convert to a dress with long sleeves?

That fabric looks incredibly soft just from the photo! It definitely looks like a 12-month wonder to me – and I love the pattern. Great pairing and you wear it beautifully.

19. Amy says:

You always look so lovely. Glad to see you’re not limiting yourself to labor intensive winter sewing. Layers really are key this time of year.

20. Joen says:

I’m going to have to give this pattern a try! Since I am having my own “private summers” this is just what I’ve been looking for to layer under jackets and sweaters.

21. Gail says:

Simply classic. I have this pattern and really must make it up.

Love this, girl! It looks great on you!