WILL YOU EVER SAY NEVER?

I  w i l l .

I will never buy a wrap dress again. This is the fourth wrap dress I’ve made since January and there is no reason to fork out the big bucks, or even ‘bargain’ bucks again for one of my favorite styles.

I completed my one-year RTW Fast on August 31st and finally found my way into a dress shop in October. I bought the black sweater I promised myself 10 months ago after repairing moth holes in my trusty black cardigan during the fast, but as soon as I carefully examined a couple of $300.00 wrap dresses, I realized I haven’t missed much.

Expensive clothes will always be hanging around waiting for a buyer!

While it’s great to own a new sweater free of moth holes, the renewed energy and sense of self-assurance I gained from that shopping trip is greater.  I turned to a Vogue pattern I  made once before and paired it with a St. John silk jersey I found at a bargain price.

$31.00 of fabric + spool of thread + 8 – 10 hours = new dress with custom fit and $263.00 savings which is enough for me to say never!

____________________________

This Halloween I was Treated instead of Tricked!

Tia Dia from Mezzo Couture sent me a blog award, a cute thank you card thanking me for reading and commenting on her blog.

The simple and sweet purpose of this new blog award is simply to thank the  people who take the time to comment on your blog. My job is to pass it on to nine bloggers who comment on my blog.  I tremendously appreciate each comment I receive.  I’m passing the award on to the nine bloggers who have statistically provided the most comments on Goodbye Valentino. Many thanks to all of you for your comments and special thanks the following bloggers. Pass it on ladies!

Sew Busy Lizzy     Windows to Wearables    Ginger Makes   Fifty Dresses   Art Attack Diary of a Sewing Fanatic   Girls in the Garden  P’s Thrifty Sewing Blog   Learning New Tricks

______________________

Lastly, best wishes to my fellow sewing friends and bloggers affected by Hurricane Sandy.  I’ve heard from several but not all, and I hope life returns to normal soon for you, your family and friends. translation……… we really miss you!

Until Soon :)

This entry was posted in sewing blogs, Sewing Dresses, silk, Uncategorized, Vintage Patterns and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

91 Responses to WILL YOU EVER SAY NEVER?

1. Katie G. says:

The dress looks great!!! Congrats on your award!

2. Madeline says:

I have wanted a wrapped dress but when I see rhe prices I leave it on the selve! I am noe inspired to make one. When you put the stats out like that, I have to be able to come up with 8-10 hrs to make one! Thanks you inspire me and I love your blog

3. Teri says:

Sarah, I love that fabric. A perfect pairing of fabric and pattern.

4. Naomi says:

You look fantastic! My sewing goal this year is to master working with knits and find the perfect wrap dress. This is one of my first patterns to try. I couldn’t agree with you more and know once I have the fitting and technique issues worked out I’ll never buy another knit dress. Doesn’t it feel great not to have to pay those exorbitant prices ever again! You’re an inspiration.

I will totally say “never” with you on a wrap dress! Who knew we were kindred spirits in fabric taste, as well? I’ve been eyeing this St. John knit and noodling around what to make with it. So happy to see it come to life. Great job! And thanks for the blogger award! I will happily post and past…

• Hi Dorcas! By color palette I believe I’m a spring and you are an autumn whose colors are shared more or less…………..Ok, ok, let’s just say we have the same taste!!!! Many thanks for writing :)

Great looking dress, as usual. Love the fabric, too. I wore a DVF knockoff a few days ago and one of my daughter’s friends refused to believe that I hadn’t bought it. She had just returned from the flagship store in NYC and swore that the same dress was there! That’s all the encouragement I need to say “NEVER AGAIN”!

7. joen says:

Dress looks great! love the print.

8. Juliet says:

Oh another success! As well as really good sewing skills you have such great taste in fabric. Very well done.

9. LOVE it! I’ve been wanting to see that one made up since I have several wrap dress patterns in my stash and have been eyeing that one in particular! You’ve done a fabulous job on fabric selection – as usual – and what a great deal! (that savings will buy another sweater or two!)

You’ve also made wrap dresses from another pattern – which do you like better? Just curious. Once I get past my knit phobia, I have some great fabric begging to be made into wrap dresses!

Great post, once again. LOVE that fabric, too!

PS: Thanks so much for my award :) It’s always a pleasure to read your posts!

10. Lauren says:

You could make this same wrap dress 100 times and it still would not be stale. There is always another beautiful fabric coming along that makes it fresh all over again. Such a good style that suits almost any figure. How could you possibly go wrong…..you couldn’t. I am happy to see it made over and over again.

11. When I see your beautiful dress I get inspired to also sew a wrap dress. Tomorrow I´m going to buy a pattern and fabric.

12. Rosalia says:

Love the fabric and pattern! What pattern is this? Would love to make my own wrap dress and this looks like a great pattern

13. T. Sedai says:

I love the print! And the fit is spectacular.

14. Tia Dia says:

I love this! Wrap dresses are my favourite silhouette, and this one is PERFECT. What fabulous fabric – that print is great.

Congratulations on your award! I would say “NEVER” again too, especially to a $300.00 dress! My guess yours is wayyyyy better anyway! Beautiful work!

16. Alethia says:

I’ve always had a problem buying retail since I’ve been sewing. My husband will buy for me, which is fine. But, I’m always criticizing the price vs. quality of work. I know that I can do better for much less, so I never buy unless it’s something I just need right away. Therefore, I do not like to shop. I always tell my husband the best thing he could get me as a gift is fabric or some gift cards to a fabric store, lol!
    BTW, your dress looks fabulous! I love your versatile looks.

17. Oh wow, that fabric is fantastic!! Great job on the dress, it looks wonderful on you!

18. Kathie says:

Fabulous look!

19. Rebecca says:

Stunning. I owe you a huge thank you, by the way — your review of that wrap dress in Mood silk jersey is what turned me onto my favorite fabric. If it’s possible, I think this silk jersey wrap rendition is even lovelier.

• Wow – I’m really flattered Rebecca! I love both of the fabrics. I’m curious………. what did you make with the Mood silk jersey?

• Rebecca says:

Oh, I didn’t actually buy the jersey from Mood — but I made a drapey Suzi Chin (Butterick 5674) with a green plaid I found elsewhere. I still need to take it in a bit, but the fabric! The fabric! It’s a dream! I’m saving up for a few Mood prints, since I’ve heard nothing but good things about their silk jersey :). Love the blog!

20. Carolanne says:

Love everything about this dress and it looks amazing on you!

21. Amanda S. says:

Your new dress is beautiful and perfectly fitted. And I LOVE that fabric!

What a gorgeous dress! I hope you say “yes” to many more versions of this dress– it looks spectacular on you!

Oh, this is gorgeous, just gorgeous! Did you order this fabric online? I have been buying a bit online since my local fabric stores don’t have what I want, and I am always asking people for their experience with online retailers. This is an absolute perfect pairing of fabric, pattern, and figure. This style looks fabulous on you!

24. Florencia says:

Beautiful fabric, Gorgeous Dress! Unbelievable Fit!!!

25. Janine says:

Absolutely gorgeous dres!! I bought this pattern some months ago, but haven’t got around to sewing it yet. On the pattern envelope, the skirt looks more A line. Have you pared the skirt down in your dress, is it merely the fall of the fabric? Thanks for a wonderful blog.

• Thanks so much for writing, Janine! You’re right – I took removed approximately 25 inches from the skirt sweep in my first dress and over 20 in this one. I wrote about this on both of my pattern reviews and in the post found in the Vogue link. I prefer a slimmer option at my height and thought the dress would have a slightly more contemporary feel to it as well :)

26. Jacqui says:

Great look on you Sarah. I have been following your blog since you began the journey and you have inspired me to give up RTW and sew more for me.

Gorgeous addition to your wardrobe. Great job and perfect fabric.

28. jillybe says:

What fabulous fabric! And what a great story of renewed energy for the RTW fast :)

Gorgeous wrap dress and this is one style I want to make for summer, thank you for reminding me.

30. Melissa says:

You have given me inspiration to do the fast!

31. AllisonC says:

That is really gorgeous fabric, I know this is your fourth one, but please can you remind us which pattern you used?

32. Jill says:

Beautiful dress!

33. Ann says:

Your dress in fantastic, and your journey is so inspirational! I teach sewing to beginners, and I am going to recommend your blog to them.

34. Hi Sarah. Love that wrap dress! I had to comment on how much I enjoy your blog. I have all the tools: I can sew, I have a fabulous sewing machine and serger, and all the gadgets and gizmos that go along with those. But at last, thanks to you, I have focus. You know, a couple of Christmases ago, I had the audacity to wear a very simple, homesewn cocktail dress to a very lovely corporate event; not exactly spot on, but I wore it anyway (what was I thinking). Should have trusted my sewing skills more and really blinged it up and all of that. Nevertheless, my sweet hubby escorted me proudly on his arm. Wish I knew of you then. Thanks to blogs like yours, I’ve been inspired to map out a wearable wardrobe with true purpose and fly my colors. I appreciate you and this great adventure we are all on!

• What a lovely comment, Christine! You hit the nail on the head with the word focus. I believe once we give priority and focus on what we do things start to happen. It sounds like I had the same issues as you – great sewing equipment but no serious commitment and mediocre results until I became focused. Many thanks for writing :)

35. Heather says:

I really love this fabric and the dress looks fantastic on you! I’ve made this pattern twice, once for me and once for my sister. I need to make it up in a fall/winter fabric someday.

Congrats on the award and a huge THANK YOU for passing it on!

Sarah – the wrap dress is a knock-out! That fabric is gorgeous and perfect for this time of year. Your new “award” is a lovely gesture – and I am so delighted that I am one of the lucky ones to whom it was passed on! Thank you so much – I’ll be doing my nominations shortly…

37. Leslie R. says:

Where did you find that fabulous fabric? It’s absolutely beautiful and perfect for a wrap dress. Am thinking of joining the RTW Fast…

38. Javie says:

Love this dress! I love to make a wrap dress too. Did you deviate from the Vogue pattern instructions and not use a facing or follow it to the letter? I have this pattern too.

• Thank you, Javie! I made one change to the pattern by removing 20 – 25 inches from the skirt sweep in order to produce a slimmer silhouette. Otherwise I really like everything about this pattern

39. Thank you, Javie! I made one change to the pattern by removing 20 – 25 inches from the skirt sweep in order to produce a slimmer silhouette. Otherwise I really like everything about this pattern :)

40. sewbusylizzy says:

That fabric is just lovely! Thank you for saying thank you :-)

41. Very stylish! I love it!!

42. Victoria says:

I’m a bit late, sorry! But I agree no need to ever buy another wrap dress! Not with you great skills and good eye for fabric. Btw, I think you’re just lovely….and elegant! Your award is well deserved:)

43. Grace says:

New to your blog (by way of kalkatroona). This is a lovely pairing of fabric and pattern. Don’t forget to factor in your time when considering the cost of RTW over handmade. 8-10 hours at just minimum wage adds up! Still a great savings and perfect custom fit.

44. Pingback: Odds & Ends – Plus a New Top! | Goodbye Valentino

45. Anna Borngen says:

That looks great. I came across your blog post because my go-to, everyday outfit alternative to jeans and tees is the American Apparel wrap dress. Unfortunately they discontinued the style long enough for mine to wear out, and now it is back, but my size only comes in black. I was looking up instructions to make a pattern of one of them and voila! here you are in your spectacular home made creation that costs even less than my cheapo hipster version, and looks far more luxurious. Kudos.

• Thank you for this nice comment, Anna! I love this pattern so much I have to restrain myself from making too many. I found this is one of the easiest dresses to replicate RTW. Good luck with your sewing!

46. Pingback: Gay Marriage, a Delaney Design, Pants + Other Overdue Things | Rebecca Delaney

47. Pingback: Gay Marriage, a Delaney Design, Pants + Other Overdue Things | sewciopathic

48. Sandra Kelly says:

Thank for a great review. I have just bought this pattern and thought I would check it out before I cut. Great fit and the colour is lovely on you – well done.