Lucky 13

Maybe it’s just my love of Halloween surfacing, but I often believe the number 13 gets a bad rap. Today I added the 13th committed person to the RTW Fasters’ page and decided it was time for an update.

These 13 women represent a diverse geographic area including three countries and several states scattered from Florida to California. They have been communicating about topics important to them as they sew themselves away from the retail madness, but more importantly they are sewing beautiful clothes.

Linda, living in a warm climate resists the t-shirts and crops scene, and recently completed this crisp periwinkle top.

Robin left her beginning sewing skills behind by making this very detailed and tailored jacket.

Speaking of jackets, Jilly sewed this fabulous Marcy T jacket boasting dozens of hooks and eyes.

When I began my RTW Fast, I made a top similar to Teri’s peasant top, but I like her’s much better and am inspired to try it again.

Look at Cissie’s new sweater dress just in time for cooler weather!

……and Carola’s dress brings back memories from this past summer. Carola recently completed Susan Khalje’s Couture Sewing Class by making this lovely dress for a Melbourne Cup luncheon.

In case you’re wondering about number 13, it’s Barbara who is fasting for a second year and shares a sewing blog with her daughter!

I’m privileged to share a year with these creative women who inspire me as they express their unique styles and gifts. To read about all of the women fasting from Ready-to-Wear clothing so far, visit the RTW Fasters page. Feel free to support them with your comments or join them on the fast – The More The Merrier!

Best Wishes :)

This entry was posted in making your own clothes, Ready to Wear Fast, sewing blog, sewing blogs, sewing clothes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Lucky 13

1. csfontenot says:

Wow! Excellent job, ladies! So exciting to see what everyone is sewing – such a great mix of styles and ideas. What fun to have all of you in one place, too :) As a ‘new’ sewist (to apparel, anyway!) it’s really helpful to be able to see what others have accomplished! Best wishes for a successful year without RTW!

2. Naomi says:

What a wonderful group of ladies. I look forward to following you in you’re sewing adventures. Wish I could join you, maybe someday. Have fun!

3. myrosesindecember says:

Do these ladies have blogs which we can follow? Bravo to all!

4. Mrs. K says:

Such inspiration! I’d love to follow along, as I make about 95% of what I wear, but the RTW link isn’t working :-(

5. Wow, how exciting to have so many joining the RTW fast. You have inspired so many! I have unwittingly joined your movement through my refashioning. I have bought a few things this summer, but end up returning them because, I know I can make something just as good for a lot less money! So inspiring to see so many taking the challenge.
    Happy sewing!
    Beth

• Thank you, Beth! After I completed my challenge I thought I would do major shopping, but it was not the case at all. After trying on lots of clothes, I’ve bought a sweater and a pair of pants for the same reasons you cited. :)

6. Wow, imagin my surprise to see my creation featured on your blog! It’s really inspiring to see what everyone is making, and its encouraging me to keep up with the RTW fast. I’m also getting some style ideas from the other participants :-)

7. judy says:

Fantastic job.. Happy sewing to each of you.

8. myrosesindecember says:

My biggest problem at present is motivation as because of hysterectomy and severe fibro, I have gained (too much) weight and my mantra seems to be “When I lose this weight, then I will sew.” I have piles of gorgeous silk tweeds, bought when I was still working, and now I am so hot all the time that I wonder if I will ever wear anything but cotton tees and pull on pants. I so want to look nice but I hate to alter things so maybe I need to buy some fabrics more suitable to my current life and size, keep my silk tweeds for later, and just make something. I have been following the blog of another lady with no waist, who has been a marvelous inspiration to me with her beautifully coordinated wardrobe, generally made from a lot of tried and true (she calls them TNT) patterns, changed by fabrics she chooses. Here is her link, if there are any others without a waist who might like the inspiration: http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/

I have always hated waistbands and fondly remember slacks and A-line skirts from the 60s that had no waistbands, just Petersham shaped and turned to the inside, or perhaps a facing. I also do not like lapels so always make collarless jackets. I think the most glorious-feeling thing I ever wore was a pair of winter white slacks (no waistband, but had a side zipper) lined with a lovely fabric that just slipped against the skin when I walked. The Freshman 15 took care of wearing those. You are all amazing, and wonderful inspirations. Now if the hurricane would just go away, maybe I can think more about this. Right now I am converting a wedding gown (Note: when a wedding gown skirt has “pick-ups”, if you take out the stitching holding them, you are left with a big hole in the skirt, every place there was a pick up. Makes it hard to get Christening gown length out of it.).

• Hi Rose and thank you for writing. I believe we all get stuck in ruts. I certainly have been before and one day I realized even the smallest action is a step in the right direction.
      I’m very familiar with Diary of a Sewing Fanatic. Carolyn is one of the Mood Sewing Network bloggers and makes fantastic clothes!!! She is an inspiration to me for sure. I hope you were out of danger during the hurricane and wish you the best of luck
      Reply | Unapprove | Spam | Trash

9. gaynelle west-brown says:

I once made most of clothes, and sewed for the public while in college…….for the past few years, I have been quilting,,,,,but yall are inspiring to start sewing my clothes again……….I will see what I want to make first,maybe christmas…thanks

10. jillybe says:

Awesome! Thank you for the roundup of current finished pieces!

Sarah, I noticed that when you changed the format of the original comments on the RTW page, the code for the RTW logo changed – the current (working) code says http://goodbyevalentino.com/rtw-f/ (it looks like “fasters/” somehow lost a few letters & now just says “f/” I changed the link on my blog to the current code – let us know if you change it back :)

11. Sewer says:

I appreciate the workmanship of the people you featured.

“Fasting” was not the best choice of words to describe a woman who is overweight. Some people fast to lose weight (“Intermittent Fasting”) and at first I thought that’s what you meant.

12. Teri says:

So happy to be part of this group. Welcome Barbara!

13. jlundy6116 says:

Ohh, I love your new dress! I need to pull this pattern out and make it up again. I agree, it’s a great pattern. Kudos to all the ladies on the fast!

This has been so much fun to read about these creative, dedicated dressmakers! I’m looking forward to keeping up with their “fasting”. Of course, the wheels are turning in my head as I contemplate joining them… One thing is for sure – it’s easier to resist buying RTW than it is to resist beautiful fabric!

15. Susan says:

I signed on to the Make Everything form a Year Sew Along on Pattern Review. I was in the middle of the Mini-Wardrobe contest.
    Since then I have made a faux wrap top from a gorgeous boucle I found on the bargain table at Bonanza, the better fabric store here in La Paz. Then I made my “Obama Pajamas” lounging pajamas from a flat top sheet for the Recycle/Refashion contest.
    I have purchased and received my Sure-Fit Designs pattern making kit, and I am off and running.
    I will post photos later.
    My friends are miffed that I will not go to the new consignment shop in town. I am committed to sewing my own clothes.
    Lingerie will be exempted, it is too difficult to find the supplies here. And I just don’t think I want to go there.
    Everyone’s garments look wonderful, and you are all an inspiration!
    Living in a resort where dressing up is rare, it is hard to look and feel good. I am setting a new standard for myself. And all of you have inspired me!