Vogue 8833

Here is my new top.

If I was on Project Runway, Tim Gunn would walk into the workroom and tell me I needed to live up to my potential.

Michael Kors would call me a One-Trick-Pony,

and

Heidi Klum would exclaim that I look like I’m going to a baseball game before saying Auf Wiedersehen with a kiss on the cheek.

Does this mean I do not like the top?

Not at all!  I like it, but I’m starting to repeat myself and it’s time to regroup.

______________

Two weeks ago I went to Waechter’s Silk Shop in Asheville, NC with a friend who decided to start sewing for herself again after a lengthy hiatus. It’s a lovely shop with a nice selection of fabrics, and serves as a retailer for numerous independent pattern companies. Most inspiring of all were the samples of every pattern sold in the shop displayed throughout the store!  My friend bought loads of beautiful fabrics, but I walked out with a piece of quilting cotton – even in the midst of such a creative atmosphere.

I should have let the fabric quietly settle into my stash. Instead, I chose to give this new Vogue Pattern a try in my baseball cotton before sewing it in a finer fabric.Well, I won’t be sewing this pattern with my finer fabric, but I do recommend these well-designed Vogue patterns with the customized cup sizes

Perhaps those blunt comments from the judges are necessary to bring forth originality from each designer. I prefer gentle, constructive criticism, but I’m not competing for a fashion runway show in New York.

At any rate, my latest top is fine to wear around with a pair of jeans, but I want to take advantage of one of the great benefits of sewing;

t h e   g i f t   o f   a u t h e n t i c i t y.

Having said that, my next post will feature a plain black dress…….

;)

although it won’t be sewn from quilting cotton, and it won’t have any ruffles!

Best wishes to all.

This entry was posted in Project Runway, quilting cotton, Ruffles, sewing blogs, Sewing Tops, Uncategorized, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to Vogue 8833

1. Great pattern, but the fabric…..and the pattern on it…..but mostly the color….ugh! It does fit you like a dream. I think you will need to make another one in a different fabric. Using quilting cotton – did you line the jacket? I think it may be time to look through my endless bolts of yardage and try some quilting cotton in a garment.

• I did not line the top and might make a summer top using the pattern. I’ve had mixed success sewing garments with quilting cotton.

• Lauren says:

Is it the quilting cotton itself that you feel gives you mixed results? Perhaps not the little bit of “give” that fashion fabrics have or is something else. Quilting cottons are great in their place – in quilts. I love the beautiful vibrant colors and patterns available these days. Thanks for the input. I love the top – and would consider making one with quilting cotton, but would appreciate your input regarding the fabric itself. Cheers.

• Exactly. The quilting cotton is too heavy and too coarse with no give. On occasion I’ve used quilting cotton from my stash (quilt stash) successfully, such as a lined skirt or a summer top. I don’t know why I BOUGHT it for a garment. :)

2. Liza D. says:

If it works for you — flattering, stylish, puts a smile on your face — why worry about repeating yourself? Sure, it’s nice to branch out and try something new/different/trendy, and we’d love to see what you come up with. But there’s no need to apologize for this lovely, well-fitting top. I admire and envy your talent. : )

• Many thanks, Liza! I had a feeling this post would come out negative…… I like the top! I am however, ready for different challenges and styles :)

• Amy says:

I’m glad to hear that you like the top. I like it! You should definitely try new challenges and styles, but I think going back to what you know works for you is always a good thing. Carolyn has quite a successful wardrobe made in a good part from her TNT patterns. Anyway, I do like the top…

• Thanks, Amy! I like it – just ready to add some variety to my sewing repertoire. I meant to tell you how much I LOVE your striped dress :)

3. angela says:

I also agree that you need to make what will make you happy. What you like to wear, you are sewing for yourself. I really think you are very talented and your clothing is beautiful. No reason to second guess yourself. Just keep sewing things you enjoy wearing! We all enjoy seeing your clothes that make you happy.

Inasmuch as I claim the title of the Queen of Repeats, I say follow your heart when it comes to sewing. But, if it’s time to write a new story, you can do it…who can stop you? I think it’s cute…it’s definitely you.

• Oh how I remember Pete and Repeat!……. The difference is- it’s not that I was craving another wrap top.. I simply couldn’t think of something else to make , and that means I need to look deeper :)

I wear the same styles often because I have figured out what looks good on me and what I feel comfortable wearing. However, you sound a little bored, so maybe it is time to do something different. A little black dress is always in order, and you will have many places to wear it, so go for it! But continue to sew what you like as well!

6. Thank you, Becky! I like the top but I’m ready for another challenge. My black dress will not be a LBD, just a BD :) :) !

7. If it’s something you will wear and feel comfortable in, I say go for it, no matter what you’ve already made. No need to sew for us, it’s your wardrobe and you are an amazing seamstress. I love seeing all of your creations.
    Keep it comin’!
    Beth

8. Margaret Cole says:

I had fun shopping with you and can’t wait to show what I have made. Thanks for a fun day and your inspiration.
    Margaret C

9. Amanda S. says:

So… Did you like the pattern? Are you tired of the wrap blouse or the ruffles? Just curious because I have this pattern and would love a heads up if it’s a dud.

• Hi Amanda! The pattern is fine and I wrote a review on PR. It runs very large. I cut a 10 and took out 2 inches in the back and sewed very large seams elsewhere.
      I should not have used this fabric for this top and I should have never added the ruffle. I believe I am tired of the ruffle/wrap combo. :)

You always look great…why? because you know what works on you…both style and colour-wise. Sure, it’s good to try something new but there’s nothing wrong (in my book ) with perfecting a ‘signature’ look! I’ve made nine versions of the same pencil skirt!! And I WEAR them all the time. Lately, I’ve gone a bit bonkers for a BurdaStyle knit cowl dress that has 2 pieces and sews up in an afternoon…I have 3 in high rotation. I also have Renfrew-itis**. Rather than thinking of this as repeating myself, I enjoy feeling like I look my best when I head out the door (and that feeling has far more of an influence on how I look than what I am wearing!) ;-)

PS – I really like this jacket’s colours and style on you!

** yes,yes, I have a lot of blog posting/pattern reviewing to get on with…ahem

• Thank you for your words of encouragement! I wasn’t feeling creative during this entire project but I don’t dislike the top – I’m just ready to learn new tricks to enhance my ‘signature’ look :)

11. June says:

I think your top looks nice, and it certainly fits you well. However, if you’re feeling like you’re in a rut and want to mix things up some more, you might want to read this article from You Look Fab – http://youlookfab.com/2011/03/17/moving-out-of-your-style-comfort-zone/

12. Teri says:

It is a cute top and you nailed the fit. Looking forward to seeing the Little Black Dress:)

13. eumoronorio says:

I love Waetchers! I spent a far bit there this summer! As for the top, it i adorable and I think the judges would have to acknowledge how well it fits! Great job! sewingforme.wordpress.com

14. The top is great, it fits perfect. Now 1) you have one more great TNT pattern and 2) one more new top to wear around with a pair of jeans ( for example I do not have ANY) and 3) there is a vacant place for a new great fabric in you stash of fabric . So here everything is absolutely for better!

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a one-trick pony! I feel that way myself sometimes — that everything I make looks the same. You certainly have a distinctive style and your clothes reflect that. But that doesn’t mean you should get the boot from Heidi! Don’t all good designers have an identifiable “look”? Can’t we always spot Chanel or Valentino?
    BTW, can’t believe you got out of Waechter’s with only 1 piece of fabric? Has your diet extended to fabric shopping as well?

• Hi Cissie!
      Fabric diet? – Hardly, but I just couldn’t settle in and shop. Now that I’m acclimated with the store’s products, I’m sure I could do some damage :)
      PS……. your clothes do NOT look the same!

16. AllisonF says:

I disagree! I think you have an aesthetic that happens to include ruffles! You know what you like. You are designing for yourself. I love the top and say keep those ruffles coming!

17. sewbusylizzy says:

It’s not quite ‘you’ but not everything can be I guess… Which provides an excuse to keep sewing!

18. Ann-Britt says:

Your top is nice, the color suits you excellent and it looks great with jeans. I really lika your style!

Do you think youd like it better de-ruffled? The fabric is pretty jazzy…..gracious, am I advocating subtlety?

20. Joen says:

The top is very flattering on you. But okay, maybe not that fabric. However I would keep the pattern as a “go to” top for future use as it fits you beautifully and the style is very flatterning. Looking forward to your black dress post.

I’m so glad you reminded me about Waechter’s. About your top – I think 3/4 sleeves would improve it immensely! I think it’s kind of a cool print, actually!

22. wimmie says:

Even Ralph Lauren gets in a rut sometimes. He said after one of his first showings, he didn’t know where else to go. Good thing he didn’t listen to himself and that was many years ago. You are a wonderfully creative stylist, so get up off of your slump box and get going girl. happy sewing. Don’t forget the inspiration we get from high fashion magazines and the fashionshows on youtube.

I’m pretty sure everything you’ve ever made has fit you beautifully and looked great! But I know what you mean– sometimes I make something and after I’m done, I’m just like, “Hmm…”. Excited to see a little black dress from you! Can you believe I don’t own one? Maybe I should make one!

24. Tia Dia says:

What a perfect fit on that top! I think it’s a great silhouette for you. I’m loving the custom-sized cup patterns from Vogue, too. It saves me a LOT of mental work. And why not make up another one like this? It’s just a perfect fit. Perhaps you could sew up your next version in that lovely fabric and extend the length into a dress.

25. Martha says:

Unusual fabric perhaps, but it looks great on you. Nice fit. What’s not to love?

26. Deborah says:

Oh, don’t be so hard on yourself. There is nothing wrong with this new top. The fit is amazing, we all need to have some casual pieces in our wardrobe. Besides, sometimes we need to do something that is a little more light hearted for fun. There is also nothing wrong with knowing what exactly works for your figure. Actually, it’s an asset and you have it.

27. ZoSews says:

I like it. Looks great on you. This year I’ve tried to make more casual things – because I actually wear those garments! As opposed to the floor length gowns for fun (fun? more like self flagellation…)

28. boutis says:

We all need what I call “play clothes”. These are the clothes we wear at home, doing chores, or running very informal errands. The term came from when my children were young and they wanted to change from party, Sunday, or school clothes to something they could wear running and ripping outside without fear of tearing and muddying up. I just made myself a Stewart plaid flannel shirt. It fits, was cheap and I will wear it raking leaves. I got in a lot of practice top stitching, matching plaids, and using my new walking foot. We learn from everything we do.

29. Lisa says:

Wow! How can I add to all the other comments without repeating what has already been said? The top fits you great as you know the style(s) and colors that work for you. Personally, I think it looks terrific! Don’t give up the pattern or the garment because it might be more casual, perhaps you’re just not fond of quilting cotton. You know what works for you and it shows! I say, carry on, and make that top again and again in whatever fabric you want that makes you feel good. If a style works, why not use it? Don’t be too hard on yourself! You inspire us all!

30. Denny says:

I think you have turned a very boring pattern into something personalized (the addition of the ruffles). I like the fact that you now have a top that turns a casual pair of jeans into something extremely dressy for those occasions we all have when we are unsure of the exact dress code for a function.

31. The colour really suits you, it does enhance your figure and you look lovely, even my hubby agrees
    he says it matches your jeans and you look super.

32. Gail says:

I have hundreds of patterns, but am becoming convinced that returning to the tried and trusted ones pays dividends. Love your top and the ruffle variation.