A New Page!

I’ve been sewing away while the Mood Sewing Network schedule is being coordinated. A new sewing post will follow soon, but in the meantime meet Linda!

Linda began her RTW fast on August 1, 2012

I have created a new page on my blog for those giving up buying Ready-to-Wear clothing for year in favor of making their clothes.

Linda gave up buying Ready-to-Wear on August 1 for one year. Tired of buying cheap clothes made overseas or paying a fortune for clothing, she was ready to make a lifestyle change.

Linda thought she was all alone in her decision until stumbling upon my blog in August as I was finishing my year.  I thought I was all alone when I gave up RTW for a year, but several of you wrote to me during the year stating you had made this decision as well.

If you are fasting from Ready-to-Wear clothing for a year there is a place for you right here! All you need is an online photo album, blog or website.

On the RTW FASTERS page you will find camaraderie, an opportunity to showcase your creations and provide support for other women considering the same challenge.

Many thanks to Linda for sharing her journey with me and now with you!

Until Soon  :)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to A New Page!

1. Teri says:

I would love to join in, but my fast might have to exclude running/excersice and jeans RTW. Would that count?

• Hi Teri, Many thanks for writing! Hmmmm.. I contemplated the same situation when I gave up buying RTW for a year. I believe a fast needs to exclude jeans and exercise clothes too. I’ve learned from experience that exceptions lead to more exceptions (for example bathing suits) and before long it’s not really a fast and the accomplishment is mediocre instead of exceptional. If you think you can give it ALL up for a year please join in!

• Teri says:

I totally understand the non-exclusion rule. My stack of blue jeans is pretty high, so I might be able to get through the year without buying any…they are my staple for work as I am a riding instructor….my running clothes are in pretty good shape, so maybe I would have to make any of those either. The good new is, I have made both in the past, so I know it is doable, it is just hard to duplicate Wranglers;) Hmmmmm……

• Teri says:

Okay, I have thought about it, and looked at the RTW stuff I have bought in the last year…and I am not impressed. I have a huge stash that needs to be made up into beautiful fun clothes to wear, so as of 10-11-12, I am on a RTW Fast……this will be fun!

• That’s great, Teri! Please send a photo, a couple of sentences about yourself and a link to an online photo album to goodbyevalentino@gmail.com and I’ll get you up on the page!

2. soapjoys says:

I would love to join the fast! I am a beginner sewist and my experience includes blouses, skirts, and dresses plus lots and lots of table napkins and pillows. I have a sewing machine and a serger.

3. Florencia says:

I love the changes in your blog! I’ve been following your Blog for a couple of month now and I really love your sense of style.

4. jillybe says:

I am SO in on this! I picked up sewing again almost 3 years ago, after a long absence, and vowed immediately not to be any more RTW, and I’ve stuck with it! The thought of making my own bras still makes me twitch (and it’s time! I need them NOW!), and I did not get the knitting gene, so socks and sweaters are not in the picture. Does that still fit in your parameters?

BTW, (for Teri) my best-fitting and favorite jeans are the pair I made – it’s also time for new jeans! There are so many great sew-alongs and helpful posts about making your own….totally do-able!

• jillybe says:

“not to be” = “not to BUY”

• Hi Jillybe!
      That’s great! I should have listed the parameters to begin with. As I replied to Teri, the fast should exclude all outerwear. Once an exception starts others creep in and before you know it, the challenge isn’t much of a challenge.
      Underwear is permitted :)
      I do not knit either and found beautiful knits and wool jerseys online at reasonable prices.
      So……. if you believe you can go 365 without buying even a sweater……then please, please join in!! Hope you will – I found the entire challenge enlightening!

• jillybe says:

Actually, after I wrote that I remembered that I’ve been collecting sweaters to refashion & upcycle – plus I have a couple of lovely sweater knits, so I don’t know what I was thinking. Or not thinking, as the case may be. So yes, if I can buy a RTW bra, I’m 100% in :)

• Bras are allowed – even encouraged!! Please send your name, a photo, a couple of sentences about yourself and a link to an online photo album, your Pattern Review page or blog to goodbyevalentino@gmail.com. Many thanks. – Sarah

5. sewbusylizzy says:

I haven’t officially decided/announced that I’ve given up RTW but I think the reality is I have! Sewing has become all consuming and anything I go out I immediately think “have I got something I’ve made to wear?” for some reason it makes getting dressed to go out even more fun!

• Your sewing is so lovely you could easily go a year without buying clothes, Lizzy! I completely relate to the all consuming end of sewing – I never thought I’d choose one of my garments over a RTW one :)

• sewbusylizzy says:

My only reservation about making ‘a pledge’ is I have a trip to London/UK/Europe next year and while I’m sure there will be plenty of fabric tourism, I do have a travel custome of bringing home “something for the wall & something for the wardrobe” which I would hard to give up when a European trip is so rare for me!

• Lizzy, I didn’t assume you were going to do this and was just say if you did you would do it well. Have a great trip to Europe!!

• sewbusylizzy says:

Oh no I WANT to do it – I just can’t commit if it means missing out on jeans that are actually cut to my midget leg length or something from somewhere unique from London. Can I have a super special holiday dispensation in case I find a once-in-a-lifetime vintage dress or something??
        I am starting to think everyday – ‘what do I have to wear that I’ve made!’

6. Andi Social says:

I’d love to join in too! I’ve been trying since March to make most of my clothing, but now I think I’d like to try to make it all (well, except maybe undergarments). Can I join too?

7. Lydia Ruiz says:

I just started sewing again this summer. I was inspired by the TV show Project Runway. I would love to join the fast, but my daughter’s wedding is coming up in January. I don’t know if I can make my own dress for that. I have never made anything that dressy before. Could I do it with that one exception? Or, maybe someone could recommend an easy pattern for a mother-of-the bride dress. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :)

• sewbusylizzy says:

You shouldn’t doubt yourself. I started sewing again in April and last week finished a boned/lined/underlined dress. You can do it!

• Hi Lydia!
      That’s great and I agree with Lizzy. Don’t doubt yourself! Something will always come up when we accept a challenge and that’s why it’s called a challenge. I had to make a formal gown 3 months into my challenge and I was petrified!
      If you are interested please send me your name, a photo, a couple of sentences about yourself and a link to an online photo album.
      Hope to hear from you soon!

Congrats on RTW Fasters, the Mood Network and your updated blog header. The new tagline is right on the money! ;-)

9. sew20something says:

I have been fasting and will continue to do so! I am working on sewing both my and my children’s wardrobes:) (maybe someday my husband’s too!)

10. robindenning says:

brilliant! However, I sew 98% of my clothes out of necessity (fitting) so I will have to leave open the possiblity that I do find a pair of jeans now and then.

You’ve done a lot to raise awareness for home sewing and I salute you!

• Thank you, Robin! I realize the almost impossibility of fasting from RTW forever, but fasting for one year was truly enlightening. I’d like to do it again sometime. Please let me know if and when you find the perfect pair of jeans :)

11. twotoast says:

Apologies if you get my reply twice – gotta love computers!

So, sounds like a great challenge – count me in!

12. Ana Sullivan says:

I love this idea. I’m not sure about committing since I am traveling. Please keep me informed on your challenge.

13. Coco says:

Too slick for me, Sarah. Good luck, best wishes. Coco

14. jsews says:

I love this ideas as well and I am in. I will send you an email today. Thanks!