New Look 6162

I sure have missed my blogging friends!

I have been so eager to post anything just to say hello while I was taking care of a patient, hosting a party at my home followed by entertaining out-of-town company immediately upon returning from our unforgettable vacation to the Mediterranean. The patient is fine, the party was fun, the company found its way to a football game in Florida, and I hit the sewing machine after a four-week break.

I imagined this beautiful brocade from Mood Fabrics as numerous garments.My husband suggested I make a close-fitting special occasion dress which would be beautiful, but I wanted to make something I would wear throughout the fall.

Determined to overcome my previous jacket debacle, I carefully examined the lines of this New Look pattern before buying it.

My only reservation lay in the collar, which was confirmed in the muslin. The circumference was enormous.

Ruffler to the rescue!

After making a 2-inch ruffle, I raised the back neckline allowing the ruffle to fit around the neck rather than rest on my back .….and here it is….

…. a perfect solution for transforming the drab black clothes in my closet for almost any occasion! The jacket may just hang it my car this fall so I can be ready to go at a moment’s notice! Changing the collar on this pattern was worth the effort.

Last year I focused on fitting issues. This year I’m paying more attention to details which led me to lining the jacket bodice and adding cuffs to the sleeves.

I am thrilled to have the jacket issue behind me, but even more so, I am just thrilled to be sewing and blogging again. :)

Best wishes for a great weekend!

This entry was posted in Mood Fabrics, New Look Sewing Patterns, Ruffles, Sewing Jackets, silk and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to New Look 6162

1. Pendle Stitches says:

Welcome back! And what a way to get your sewing groove back. What a stunning jacket.

2. Maggie Edger says:

U R getting so professional that I expect U will B creating your own designs B4 long

Sent from my iPhone

3. robindenning says:

Oh yes, I can see that as a really versatile piece. So cool when versatility and wow-factor co-exist in the same garment. Score!

So happy that you’re back — sewing and blogging! Love the jacket, especially the signature ruffle around the neck! Perfect on you. What did you not like about the original collar?

Super fine jacket and the perfect piece to make any simple outfit a stunner. I picture a coppery-bronze metallic shell under it if that is your color as it is mine. I’m so distracted with other things I haven’t been able to sew or blog! Hoping to right that situation soon…welcome back and keep the beautiful creations coming!

• Many thanks, Dorcas! My first thought was to make a coppery-bronze metallic shell to wear with the jacket as well. Now… to find the fabric :) Isn’t it funny how life gets in the way of sewing? Hope you’re back soon!

Welcome back, your blogging friends and lurkers have missed you! This jacket is the cat’s pajamas! I always try to have a couple of jackets that will go with anything and everything. Multi-color silk jackets have always been my favorites, but now that I have seen this one, I may change my mind. A jacket like this makes so many good-looking outfits possible. Great choice, good execution, terrific outcome!

7. Andrea says:

Oh my, your jacket is stunning! What a perfect use of the fabric. I was drooling over the same fabric on tue Mood website!

8. Shirley says:

I have to say your sewing talents shine through your projects. But I am with your hubby on something more fitted. You have such a cute figure that you need to wear less boxy stuff.
    Just my opinion…Keep up the good work though!!

• Thank you for this comment, Shirley! I like fitted clothes on me as well. I have several fitted special occasion clothes and I wanted to make something that would compliment what I own. Fitting patterns has been my goal this past year and I am slowly getting there!

9. Mrs. K says:

A beautiful jacket – very classy.

10. Martha says:

How lovely and elegant on you!

11. Judi says:

Gorgeous brocade! I love the ruffle instead of a collar…nice pattern that looks perfect on you!!!

12. Barb says:

Love the jacket, you did such a grt job in it. I’m looking forward to the next blog

Have a great day! Barb

13. Amanda S. says:

Beautiful jacket! The addition of the ruffled collar was perfect. I’ve had my eye on this fabric for a few months now and plan to get some with next month’s allowance. Hope you don’t mind if I copy! Mine will be a dress, though.

14. Julie Starr says:

Wow wee…talk about starting back with a bang! This looks to be so your style. Stunning as usual and sure to transform any outfit. Perfect for the holidays, too.

• Thank you so much, Julie! As you know I took a little break and recently checked out your reviews on the PR website. Ummm……. you have been making some GORGEOUS clothes yourself. I love the latest dress :)

15. Amy says:

What a gorgeous jacket to start your new year of sewing with. And, your encouragement is going to help me pull out my ruffler one of these days!

16. Libby says:

You look like a model in the picture with your wind blown hairstyle. I love the coat.
    Libby

I loved that brocade on Moods site so I’m glad that it went to a good home to become such an awesome jacket. I love how you added your own details to it!

Wow! This is stunning! You’re right– this will dress up any dark outfit! I LOVE it!

19. Linda says:

I recently discovered your site and blog after deciding myself on Aug. 1 to give up buying clothes for a year. I thought it was my original idea! Very excited to find your blog and read all the entries. Your experience has convinced me that I can do it and with two months down, I am still highly motivated. Thank you!

• Hi Linda!
      Congratulations on challenging yourself this way! I thought I was being original as well only to learn there were others……NOTHING is original I’ve discovered :) !!
      Do you have a blog? If not I would like to create a page for those sewing their own clothes for a year.
      Are you interested?
      Many thanks for writing!!

20. What a stunner! Perfect use of this gorgeous fabric.

21. Judith says:

Who would have thought your 2nd year of sewing could top the 1st!!! It is going to be an amazing year ahead if this is how you are kick-starting it…just love, love, love this jacket with your creative collar fix…

Gorgeous jacket – so much better with the ruffled collar, especially in that fabric! Seems like you have returned to sewing/blogging from your break all refreshed and ready to go!!

23. sewbusylizzy says:

Spectacular fabric, gorgeous details – weclome back Goodbye Valentino!

24. velosewer says:

You’ve done a stunning job with this brocade fabric. I am seriously thinking of buying a ruffler attachment for my janome.
    The simple collar change is a now a spectacular piece to your wardrobe.
    Welcome back :)) I missed your work.

25. Katherine says:

What a great look! Original design, signature ruffle punctuated by exquisite fabric makes for memorable presentation.

26. cheryl says:

Love the jacket – well done! The ruffled collar adds a great touch, and it’s so “you”! Beautiful fabric, terrific piece – you’ll be wearing this a bunch…and everyone will want to know where you got it ;)

Enjoy – glad to see you back!

27. Denny says:

Absolute Wow Factor! Love the new jacket and so glad you are back sewing again – I rely on you for inspiration for my sewing ideas. I really want to know how you manage to make things so quickly. I have as much free time as I l desire for projects but I must be very very slow compared with how you whip things up. On top of making a seriously gorgeous coat you have had house guests and a party and bounced back after a Mediterranean holiday (I take weeks to get over the post holiday blues). How do you do it?

• Hi Denny – Many thanks for the lovely comment!
      I have never considered myself to be fast when I sew, but I do become possessed by my projects. Last year when I started sewing clothes again, I promised myself I would complete every pattern. Something about seeing a project to completion keeps me focused.
      I sacrificed Labor Day weekend to get our house ready for the upcoming commitments and delayed jet lag until the houseguests left. Then I crashed big time :)

28. Heather says:

Welcome back, it must mean that summer is over and the autumn is really here. Beautiful fabric to make a lovely coat . I think brocade is quite tricky it sometimes can look a bit like a sofa cover, this one is definitely garment not curtains. Inspiration and attainable at the same time, as always thanks for blogging.

• What a nice comment, Heather – thank you so much! I knew the fabric would not look like a sofa cover when I saw it was a Caroline Herrera fabric :) It was however the first time I had sewn this type of fabric and it did require some special attention.

29. Coco says:

Beautiful! The fabric is stunning!

30. Irene says:

What a beautiful and elegant jacket!

• Thank you, Irene. I’ve been playing catch-up with my blog reading and must say I adore your white Vogue top! Do you own a sewing shop – I’m curious about the group picture featured in your blog.

31. joen says:

Love the jacket! the ruffle certainly added a great detail.

32. Beautiful! And I love the ruffle detail! Nice to have you back, I always look forward to seeing your sewing adventures!
    Beth

33. Paula Strid says:

Love to see you back and as ever your sewing is beautiful. The brocade looks like a metallic mixture, copper, silver, etc. What did you line with? Bemberg rayon? Also do you cruise websites for designer looks and then adapt patterns to get your own look or do you just go with what you like for your own look? Just curious, because you seem to have nailed your look.

• Thank you, Paula! The brocade does have a mixture of metallics although the copper has the most sheen – the other metallics are somewhat matte. I believe I used a rayon lining which I pre washed before cutting.
      As far as inspiration……… I cruise the Kate Spade, Lily Pulitzer and Saks Fifth Avenue websites constantly, and take pictures of store windows whenever I can. It’s easy to be inspired but putting it all together is a different story, isn’t it? :)

34. wimmie says:

Welcome back. as the others have all said or implied, missed your blog and beautiful creations a bunch. Your Jacket is beautiful and I say that keeping in mind that I steer away from fabrics with any type of shine. You do look runway ready and as always very chic as well as inspiring. so glad you are back and busy. keep up the great work.

• Many thanks for your comment, Wimmie! I know what you mean about shiny fabrics but I had no doubts about using a Carolina Herrera brocade. I could have been more strategic about fabric placement but do think it worked well just letting the fabric speak for itself :)

35. Sew4Fun (Belinda) says:

What a divine jacket! Brilliant idea with the ruffle too.

36. Louise says:

Your jacket looks so elegant, very useful for the coming festive season. I prefer your ruffle collar to the original.
    Louise

37. Ann-Britt says:

A wonderful jacket, you look great in it!

Just lovely! You look great in dark colors, too- no fair!!

• Thank you! Some dark colors work but not all – I was delighted to see the Pantone Fall projection 2012. None of the colors that make me look like I’m coming down with something :)

39. Wow, I love the neckline detail, and it really pops with that fabric. Your jacket fits you to perfection. Overall, a beautiful look!

40. Jean C. says:

I’m thinking you had best put it into the trunk…. so it will be safe! Once people find out what a beautiful jacket it is…. it might disappear pretty quick! And that would be a shame! Great use of
    the latest detail.

41. When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time
    a comment is added I get three emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Thanks!

• I’m so sorry! My husband did that once and it drove him absolutely nuts! I believe you will have to do it and I think you can check a box to quit receiving notifications either on your email or on the original post itself.