New Look 6097 + Mood Silk Jersey

Until today I owned one silk jersey dress.  I bought a Diane von Furstenberg silk jersey wrap dress in 2007 for which I paid $300.00. Since I’ve been sewing my clothes during the last 11 and a half months instead of buying ready-to-wear, I can hardly believe I spent so much money on a simple dress.

Sunday, I returned home from the beach to two and a half yards of this beautiful black and cream silk jersey I ordered from Mood Fabrics. The pen and ink design reminded me of an etching from the Bloomsbury artists’ era; a period that has fascinated me for years. However, there was no sentimental influence in selecting a pattern.

Since sewing with silk jersey was a new experience, I wanted a familiar pattern and chose one I made in February (blogged here).

The pattern and fabric married well.

I skipped out on making a fabric belt and sewed an extra long sash that doubles around the waist. I also left the tabs off of the arms leaving me the option to wear the sleeves long, pushed up or rolled.The slight bulk in the back doesn’t bother me since this jersey drapes so beautifully.

I wrote my last post in a  summer state of mind, but sewing this dress which costs a small fraction of  similar RTW garments gets me excited about the fall, even if  it is over five weeks away!

Until soon :)

This entry was posted in New Look Sewing Patterns, sewing blog, Mood Fabrics, sewing clothes, making your own clothes, silk and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to New Look 6097 + Mood Silk Jersey

It’s gorgeous, Sarah! It’s the perfect pairing of pattern and fabric – and I love the versatility of the sleeves. Hm-m-m-m, does your comment mean you will be sewing and blogging after your one year is up??

• Thank you so much, Karen! This pattern is well drafted and I really enjoyed sewing silk jersey………. about the future…….. I need to figure out what to do ……….I’ve sewn non-stop this year and need to find a little balance. :)

2. lakaribane says:

Beyond cute! And I agree that one should used a proven pattern with expensive fabrics, if only to keep yourself from heartbreak, LOL!

3. Martha says:

Such gorgeous fabric. Great marriage of pattern and fabric on you.

4. Amanda S. says:

Very pretty on you!

5. Dilliander says:

It looks fabulous and very high end! I gather the dress is not lined so the silk jersey must feel beautiful to wear. It also drapes very nicely in this pattern. An emphatic success all round, as has been your one year challenge :)

6. k.rogers says:

I love it. So simplistic yet elegant.

7. poppykettle says:

I love how the right fabric choice can make a simple seeming pattern really something special. And I love your fabric choice here! The dress style looks wonderful on you as well – at a fraction of the price of the ‘real’ thing :)

• Hi Poppykettle! Sometimes I think it’s all in the fabric – until a humbling experience comes along. This is the type of experiences that makes sewing worthwhile for sure :) Thanks for writing!

8. Cheryl in Carolina says:

Love it! As usual, excellent choices on pattern and style!

Did you serge the seams or use a regular machine – and if so, what kind of stitch did you use? I’m currently investigating sewing machines, and am wondering what I REALLY need, since I’m not really interested in doing a bunch of embroidery like stitches. Your things are always great successes, and I believe you mentioned once that you loved your sewing machine – obviously the two of you do well together :)

• Thank you, Cheryl! I have a 20 year old Bernina 1230 and a new Bernina 1150 MDA. My sewing machine was top of the line when I received it as a gift from my hubby, and it is still everything I need for sewing. I’m sure there is a Bernina dealer who will show you the details of the machine selection. On this dress I used both machines.

9. sewbusylizzy says:

Silk jersey? That sounds delicious and must feel even better. I might have to source some of that online and give it as try myself!

10. Alethia says:

I agree with Cheryl, excellent choice in fabric and pattern! I am in love with this dress, what a wonderful job you did; no wonder you are excited about the Fall!!
    Armed with a sewing machine, great fabric, and a stylish pattern, who needs retail!
    BTW, I love the changes you made~ tie instead of the belt and the not adding the loops, very classy!

11. Maggie Edger says:

You just keep having hit after hit. Love black and white and the pattern is wonderful especially on you. I hope you don’t stop sewing in the near future. You definitely show your artistic flare in the picking of your fabrics and patterns. Great dress!!!!!! A Maggie

12. Andrea says:

Beautiful fabric, beautiful dress. Fits you perfectly! I recognize the cover of the book on the piano from the “Bach” peeking over the piano. Who plays in your house?

13. velosewer says:

You look so elegant and you always have a good eye for pairing the best fabrics with styles.

Oh I love your sash treatment, the black and white is a nice look with this!

Your changes make this dress, as usual. Love the sash instead of the belt, especially with this fabric. I love it! The pattern was a great choice for this fabric, and you look fabulous in it.

Incredible dress, you look fantastic as always. I have this pattern and now after seeing your beautiful dress, I need to get it made!

17. Patty says:

Gorgeous! And this dress must feel lovely to wear. I need to make this dress, I love the pockets!

18. dizyben says:

So beautiful!

19. Coco says:

Really pretty, wonderful fabric.

20. Valerie says:

The style of the dress is gorgeous, so is the fabric and looks so couture. I’d been resisting this pattern until now. It is on my wish list.

looks fabulous – I guess if you are looking to fall then you will continue with your sewing!

22. Sassy T says:

The dress looks fab. Silk Jersey as previous commenter ssaid sounds oh so delicious.

Another great looking dress! That one will take you anywhere — from shopping (investigative shopping, of course) to lunch to dinner and beyond. I’ve never tackled silk jersey before so hope you’ll offer some tips since I’m guessing it can be slippery and fidgety.

• Thank you, Cissie – one of those CCCs you refer to :) You would love sewing on silk jersey and actually it is not as slippery or fidgety as you would imagine. I’m sure you’ll make something wonderful with it!

24. jlundy6116 says:

Great dress! You’ve inspired me to try that one!

25. Angela says:

Thank you for your inspiration. I just found your blog and found several ideas from you. We seem to be about the same size and have the same taste in dresses and skirts.

I just ordered your fabric from Mood a couple of days ago! So happy to see it sewn up into such a pretty dress. Your dress is gorgeous!!! I also ordered a pretty wool and angora jersey. Curious to see what that one will be like.

Just spied the Bach Inventions book on your piano! It lives on my piano always — just to remind me that once upon a time I could play a few of them!

• Hi Cissie! Actually……….. it is a book of Bach French Suites, none of which I can play. I was a piano major in college and have devoted much of my professional life to the classical music industry through the years. One of these days I may to learn to play one of the Suites – is there enough time in the day for sewing and practicing the piano?

27. Really pretty as usual! I have some similar fabric stashed away waiting for an inspiration. I might have to try something similar. Are you going to continue your no RTW when your year is over? You’ve made so many beautiful clothes.
    Beth

• Thank you, Beth! Black and white/cream/off white is always a winner! After August 31, there are some garments on my shopping list such as a black sweater set, a bathing suit, and some Lululemon workout clothes……. This already sounds expensive……

28. Another stunner!! You inspire me constantly. The drape is flattering, and I love those pockets. Everything works! Can’t wait to start playing with gorgeous fabrics like this.

29. Lexlady05 says:

Awesome dress. Have so enjoyed your journey and blog. You have inspired me to follow in your footsteps. Please don’t stop when you pass day 365. I know I speak for others who want to continue seeing your skills develop.

30. MaryMM says:

I love your silk jersey dress, and I know nothing else feels quite as luxurious. Once again you have hit it out of the park, combining perfectly fabric and pattern and fit. You have a masterful touch, and I know you are hooked on sewing for the duration, struggle as you might. I too have Bach Inventions on my piano and always will and probably never will master any of them.

• Thank you so much for this kind comment, Mary! This project definitely came together and I may try the pattern one more time :) The book of Bach is actually a book of French Suites, none of which I can play. I was a piano major in college and not only learned, but later taught many of the Inventions. On occasion, I’ll sit down and relearn #13…… I think Bach was the original jazz musician :)

31. Joyce Love says:

Fabulous, as always! You purple version was great but this one is even better!

32. Fabulous looking dress! love the fabric, very nice.

33. Bobbi says:

Please please please do not stop your blog. I just discovered you a few weeks ago and find you refreshing and inspiring. Find your balance but continue to blog. Create one item a month. Words are rushing in my mind in trying how to convey what I want to say. You have a natural talent, you have found your niche, I think you are budding on a new career path. I envision you as a guest judge on Project Runway which would evolve into a permanent spot. You have a point of view that needs to be shouted from the roof tops. You have an ability to use a critical eye and create stunning outfits. I tip my hat to you and congratulations on your success. You know what looks good on you, you could evolve this blog into musings and visions of taking a body type, incorporating a pattern, and fabric and an outfit that is already out there and blog on that. Whatever you end up doing, please do not stop. I have rambled on enough. I value you, love your style, and KNOW that you are about to embrace a new career path.

• Wow, Bobbi! I’m so flattered and humbled by your kind remarks and confidence in me that I’m not sure what to say at this point except a big t h a n k y o u ! ….and you have some great ideas :) :)

How beautiful! I absolutely love this! What a perfect pairing of fabric and pattern!

35. Ruth says:

A very sophisticated dress – classy.

36. danvillegirl says:

I love this dress. The fabric made up beautifully for this pattern.

37. Amy says:

What a lovely dress! And, you’ll never believe that I just made a top (two, actually – one for my sister-in-law) with that exact same fabric. I’ve yet to find time to take a photo of them, but I’m hoping to get around to it soon. Isn’t it such lovely fabric? And, your pairing with the wrap dress pattern is stunning. I have to admit that I was a wee bit sad when I saw how great the fabric looked as a dress. I will get a lot of use out of my top, but next time I find myself with a nice piece of silk jersey, I might go digging through my stash for a cute dress like yours.

38. Gail says:

Very DVF! I love black and whit fabric, so you’d won me over with just a peek of that fabric.

39. Heather says:

Lovely, lovely dress – oh to have access to Mood.

40. SheriNJ says:

Stunning dress! I just got an email from dvf today with new wrap dresses. Yours could easily be in the email with hers! I would like to add myself to the list of those who would love to see your blog continue. I only found it recently, and your projects are beyond fabulous.

OMG this is so cute! This pattern has been sitting collecting dust, if I looks this pretty made up, what am I waiting on?? Your fabric choice is perfect too!

42. Pingback: My Mood in August: Just Add a Bow « Sew Well