Proud of My Peppy – Butterick 5615

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.  ~Bill Cosby

I’ve made two buttonholes and zero tailored collars during the last eleven months.  Thank goodness I was finally inspired to tackle my fears and add to my skill set.

This Butterick pattern offered all of the qualities I like in a blouse.

Close fitting but not tight, and structured but not stiff. A straight and flattering peplum is attached at the waist, and the tie extensions remind me of one of my favorite tops I paid a fortune for at Sea Island, Georgia. I have always wanted to know how to make these ties.

I took my time, made a muslin and worked out the fitting issues.

Bill Cosby is right!

After I saw Sew4Fun’s cute turquoise top I wanted to make this pattern more than I was afraid of making mistakes. I used this orange linen which adapted nicely to the pattern. Now that I’ve finished, I dare say those past mediocre collars and rows of buttonholes were due to sloppiness alone.

Waiting until the final month of sewing my own clothes for a year to make this cute top could be a blessing. I already had the skills but I wasn’t ready to use them…. Perhaps I should search for more :)

This entry was posted in Butterick Patterns, Linen, making your own clothes, sewing blogs, Sewing Tops, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Proud of My Peppy – Butterick 5615

1. oonaballoona says:

i can’t believe that’s linen. i’m going to sound like a broken record, but whaddaygonnado, it’s EXQUISITE.

• Many thanks, Oona! I’m sending you best wishes for a HAPPY BIRTHDAY early since I’ll be traveling on the 5th. That’s one heck of a shindig you’re throwing!! Have a good one :) :)

2. dressesandme says:

Wow you’ve only made two button holes this year? I don’t believe it! This top is great!

• It’s true! I’ve avoided buttons for almost an entire year. I don’t mind one every now and then, but making a row of buttonholes scares me. All it takes is one to go wrong and the garment is ruined :( Thanks so much for writing!

Fantastic top! Glad that your skill set has developed enough that you could make something you’ve wanted for some time. I’m looking forward to what will emerge from your sewing machine in your second year of sewing!

4. Andrea says:

Gorgeous top! All of your garments are so beautiful. It’s great you conquered your fears!

5. Heather says:

Beautiful top, and I love it with that necklace! What a year, indeed. You should be proud!

6. Cheryl says:

Super cute! LOVE the orange on you, too. Well done, as usual!

7. Peggy says:

Good for you for conquering your fears! Your top is gorgeous!!

8. Gail says:

I really like the lines of this pattern. I self-drafted something similar last year, but the back peplum gives the blouse more definition. Love the burnt orange linen.

9. Sew-4-Fun says:

I love your top! It’s a great pattern, isn’t it? I dug my pattern out recently thinking I need a version with 3/4 sleeves because I wear my sleeveless version so much. Great job on conquering your fears and just doing it! :)

Really pretty looking top – love the colour

11. sue says:

The fit looks great, love the style and congrats on learning a few new techniques!

12. Lizzie says:

I hope you are not going to give up, once your year is over. You are so inspiring, I don’t want your blog to end. Can it not be “Goodbye For Ever, Valentino”?

Another gorgeous classic. You have such good taste and you fit so well. Brava!

• Thank you! Fitting has been my bane and it never seems to get easier for me. Making a muslin is an absolute necessity for all new patters except skirts, BUT it has solved the fitting delimma :)

Gorgeous top! Love the color and the fit! Now that your year is almost over, please tell us that you’re not going to abandon your machine, race to the nearest boutique, and max out your credit cards!

15. Coco says:

So so pretty! and so funny that we are both on the same page with peplum blouses. I missed this pattern completely, it is stunning on you. Love orange. Hope you keep sewing and blogging…

16. Tia Dia says:

Yay! Good on you for tackling something you’ve been dreading. The top is wonderful! Orange! Linen! What more could one want in a top?

17. Amanda S. says:

It’s really pretty on you! Great fit any styling!

18. laura shook says:

As always, you totally rock it! I always look forward to your blog – your clothes are lovely. Congratulations!!

19. Deb Fox says:

Could you please come and make all my clothes? Your taste and skill is exceptional.

20. Allison says:

Beautiful as always! Great job!

21. wimmie says:

Good morning: Even though I am not new to this site, I have just recently became active.(sort of lol). I say this because I am not aware of your year long commitment, but please don’t stop I have looked at other pieces of yours and you are so inspiring. Orange is one of my all time favorites and so is this style shirt which was once featured in vogue. You seem to be very classy and stylish don’t deprive us of your constant inspirations. looking for more great fashion from you alright. (smile)

• Thank you so much for your very kind words! My year of giving up RTW for a year has been one of the best decisions ever. Not only did I learn to sew better, but I discovered so much about my own tastes and style. Sewing has truly enriched my life :)

22. artattack024 says:

Look at you! Go girl! I hope you have some celebratory event planned to crown your year of achievement. There’s nothing more gratifying than amazing yourself!

I would of never dreamed you made only 2 buttonholes previously. This blouse is fantastic and I bet you are thrilled with your wardrobe over the past year. Besides a black cardigan, what are you buying? Planning a big shopping spree?

• Hi Lori! I don’t know have anything on the list yet other than a black sweater set and I don’t even have a shopping spree planned!!! What I’m afraid of are the sales – I really hope I can maintain discipline and not spend $$$$$$$ “saving” money on sale items :) :)

24. Jeyco says:

So beautiful top and the tie looks so cute in front! You look so perfect with the top and necklace. Orange is yours!
    X

25. NinaLBoston says:

This top is amazing. Great fit, beautiful sewing, classy fabric and color.
    Look how far you’ve come in a year! Thanks for sharing your progress — I really look forward to seeing what you sew next. Your work is such high quality. You inspire me to try techniques I fear and even have me re-thinking orange. Congrats on conquering buttonholes!

• Thank you for this nice comment, Nina! I am very pleased with my sewing progress this year and know I wouldn’t have come this far if I had been able to rely on RTW. It has been very worthwhile. :)

26. robindenning says:

super cute top! I love the peplum and the ties, too.

27. Kari says:

I love the color! I am intimidated by buttonholes too; they come out alright, but I still feel like they’re a bit messy.

28. Kathie Bennett says:

Love style and color!

Beautiful orange linen, fabulous pattern, wonderful fit – and buttonholes, too!! What a great combination! You wouldn’t be able to buy a nicer blouse… for sure!

30. Amanda says:

I would have never chosen this color fabric, but I LOVE it! I might just have to make a top in it as well. I’ll add the quote from Bill to my “daily quote” list in my Physics classroom!

• Thanks, Amanda! I was inspired to make a top with the linen after seeing a woman in a beautiful orange shirt with white jeans. She looked so crisp and summery! ……and this quote is worth remembering :)

I LOVE this! The color and fit are so perfect! I’m a big chicken when it comes to buttonholes– I haven’t been able to work up the guts to try them yet!

32. Thank you so much, Ginger! I’m pleased with the result :) :)

33. That color looks fantastic on you! I am afraid of button holes, too, but my newest refashion calls for two of them. You’ve inspired me to go ahead and just do it!
    Thanks, Beth

34. Maggie Edger says:

Everything you make is so Perfect – and your’re having fun. AMaggie

35. cuorecucina says:

Love your blog! I’m helping a friend clear her wardrobe out soon and all the ‘upcycle’ stuff you do is great! Wondered if you had any ideas on how to upcycle small to a bigger size though?

• Thank you so much! I’m flattered you would ask for my advice about refashioning clothes :)
      Going from small to large is tricky although full skirts can be turned into tops and smaller skirts. The skirt portion of a dress can be used to add width between the seams of the top portion of the dress if it’s being recycled into a top. Sleeves can be used for this too or turned into sashes.
      Have you visited Beth at the Renegade Seamtress? Almost all of her projects are refashions……. and the Refashionista is a wonder woman…..(but a tiny one!)
      Good luck and thanks for writing!

36. Oh nice buttonholes? Look at that collar too. Who knew?

Is it really nearly the end of the 12 months? What are you going to do after that milestone? Keep on or stop sewing/blogging/etc?

37. Pingback: Honor Thy Mother-in-Law | Goodbye Valentino

38. Lisa P says:

What a great colour , I love Orange and I wish people would wear it more as it’s such a happy colour. Congratulations on a great looking set of buttonholes. ( I also had exactly the same fear but quickly overcome it with a new sewing machine )

39. Jen says:

I have this pattern set aside to make up. Yours is so cute I may do it sooner than later. Gorgeous color, too –

40. cuorecucina says:

Hi I have read your whole blog! Really inspiring stuff :) I love the simple ‘upcycle’ things you have done. I’m helping to clear a friends wardrobe and was wondering what you can do to upcycle from a smaller to bigger size (as that’s my friends predicament)

• cuorecucina says:

Ingnore this my phone is playing up something rotten

Good luck and thanks for writing!

I’m late to the party on this post…but love this style of top – and of course, your ever-fantastic choice of colour/fabric. I think peplums are universally flattering. Have yet to see one where I think “hmmm…no”.

42. oldthing says:

Hi–just found you via patternreview.com and I also love this pattern. It’s so flattering and you look amazing!

43. Pingback: The Plaid Peplum – B 5615 | Goodbye Valentino

44. Nancy says:

Hi again Sarah! Like so many others, I loved this blouse on you so much, I just ordered it from Butterick – out of print patterns are not cheap! but I figure that it’s such a cute blouse it will be worth it. I’m wondering what the issue is with the front peplum and the ties. Everyone on Pattern Review seems to have had the same problem with it being difficult to figure out. Any advice you can give would be helpful. Thanks for your wonderful post – it is a constant source of enjoyment and inspiration for me.

• Thank you, Nancy! This is a great pattern but attaching the front peplum and ties is tricky. I have no words of wisdom other than just do it or maybe try it out on a muslin first. I also found the blouse runs slightly big in the sides. I’ve made it three times and forgot to take it in the last time I made it (the plaid version). At any rate I’d like to make it again despite the tricky attachment of the front! Good luck and send me a pic when you’re finished :)