Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem does not mean ‘fish of the day’

As I relaxed under the umbrella taking in the surrounding beach activities, the wind blew my current issue of InStyle magazine to a page of celebrities wearing skinny floral pants and jeans.

In particular, the pants on the right reminded me of a pair of pants I had packed for this week at the beach …… only I bought them in 2006…  and they weren’t skinny legs… and they were stretched out from 6 years of constant wear….

The gang was out fishing leaving me free to get my sewing machine out of the car and remake those pants in my suitcase.

Since the fabric was a cotton/lycra blend I knew it would be easy to work with. I pinned on each side of the leg.  Beginning with the outer leg I tapered the seam from the hip to the ankle. I removed most of the excess from the inner leg seam especially through the seat of the pants.

Within an hour and a half  my pants were transformed from dated to magazine-pretty.

No money, little time, new pants – perfect.

Seize the day, seize the moment, seize the present opportunity…

Carpe Diem!

This entry was posted in clothes, Easy Sewing, remaking clothes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Carpe Diem

1. Claudia says:

Great remake – I like them best with your Jack Roger’s Navajo’s

• Hi Claudia and thanks for writing. I’m hoping I can wear these pants with different shoes for different occasions. One thing I know is that I can’t wear them with the spiked heels the celebs are wearing in the magazine! :)

2. Jenny Wesner says:

A mother of 20-something’s is seriously rocking those pants — now I think I may have to make some. You look fabulous! Is it contagious? I hope so!

Beautiful! And lovely with that ruffle top.

Super cute! I bet you’ll get lots of wear out of these now!

• Thank you, Ginger! I hope I can get half the wear out of these pants after the remake as I got during the last six years! Nothing like extending the shelf life of a favorite garment :)

Doesn’t it make you feel great to resurrect something like these pants?! They look wonderful and very stylish – good job!

Great job on the remake.

7. artattack024 says:

Seize the pants!! Carpe pantalones? I like it!

You are uber stylish in those pants. I have seen lots of the floral jeans and want to make some — just haven’t found the fabric. BTW, one pair I saw and loved was Erdem — $950! Your’s look just as good. And the top is perfect with them!

• Thank you, Cissie! Speaking of Erdem…. I saw the most interesting skirt (beautiful too) that I could have talked myself into buying IF I was shopping. Thank goodness I’m not :)

9. Irene says:

These look wonderful!

10. Ruth says:

Was that better than shopping or what? Ab fab pants.

11. Valerie says:

Love your celebrity pants. Great save!

12. sue says:

Love your remakes!

13. RoseOK says:

I love these pants. My summer wardrobe is more colorful than my winter wardrobe. I need to make my version on these pants.

14. sewbusylizzy says:

I spotted some polka dot denim yesterday, I’m seriously tempted after seeing these!

I love these- I’ve been tempted to try print pants, but I’ve been a little timid about it. Yours are sooo cute!

16. Maggie Edger says:

You did it again. Another hit. Love the blouse and pants together. A. Maggie

17. Thanks, Maggie! It was an easy one :)

18. taking your sewing machine on vacation – yes you have crossed over to the dark side :)
    And I will do the same thing!!

19. I agree with Robin and thank goodness you did take your SM with you in the trunk!! I think you could wear these with spike heels as long as you don’t have to walk too far of course :))

• Many thanks for your comment! Taking one’s sewing machine on vacation isn’t as obsessive as some might think. I mean you never know when the wind is going to blow your magazine open to something you can make right on the spot!

20. Pingback: Simplicity 2497 | Goodbye Valentino