Style Arc Lexley Blouse

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.” Richard and Karen Carpenter

Not really…………………

I have been out-of-town for nearly two weeks and came home inspired by the beautiful tunics I saw on women of all ages ……. on the beach, on the streets, in restaurants and concerts. Upon returning home, I headed directly to the sewing machine and finished this tunic just in time for heavy downpours on this dreary Monday afternoon.

Earlier this spring I placed my second  order from Style Arc which included the Lexley Blouse and Dress.

I experienced a setback upon receiving the pattern when I realized the ruffles are intentionally frayed .  I didn’t want a sloppy or unfinished look and began looking for an appropriate fabric. Three weeks ago I ordered this cotton voile paisley from Mood Fabrics. It arrived the day before I was leaving!

Wanting to use some of the couture techniques I learned in my recent class, I traced the stitching lines on to every pattern piece using my new gigantic waxed tracing paper from Richard the Thread.

WHERE HAVE I BEEN?

Tracing pattern markings has never been more fun, and this step made an enormous difference in my sewing, especially considering the Style Arc instructions are minimal with very few illustrations.

The stitching of the second and third rows of ruffles is concealed underneath the preceding layer.

I’ve managed to avoid cuffs during the last 10 months until now. I don’t know what I was running from.

The Lexley Tunic was the perfect sewing project to follow the Couture Dress class. Now that I’ve had a chance to unwind, I’m eager to undertake another a challenging pattern once my sewing machine returns from the repair shop.

It’s great to be home and great to be sewing again.

Here’s to productive rainy days and Mondays !

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, sewing blog, Mood Fabrics, Sewing Tops, Tunic, Style Arc Patterns, Ruffles, sewing clothes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Style Arc Lexley Blouse

Tunic looks great on you! I have this pattern and will now have to pull it out! You are so right about SyleArc’s instructions — cut out, sew, iron, wear!
    Cissie

• Thank you, Cissie! I’m sure Chloe (at Style Arc) is happy to answer any construction questions, but I’d rather keep going than stop the sewing momentum. Ideally, I should ask her my questions before starting the project. :)

I agree the blouse looks wonderful on you – at least when it rains you don’t have to feel guilty about staying inside to sew.

Your tunic looks wonderful on you. Great job.

4. Cheryl says:

Love the blouse! The fabric choice was great, too. One quick question – how did you fray your edges on the ruffles? Did that turn out ‘neat’ enough for you? (I’m always thinking that looks a bit more like something our 20 something daughters would wear). Would love to hear your ‘take’ on that, as I’ve never done fraying before.

Also – have you tried a simple sheath dress yet (other than the couture pattern you did so well). I’d love to try some in linen for summer. Does anyone have a pattern rec?

• Thank you, Cheryl. Since I had never frayed fabric before, I wasn’t sure what to do and watched a YouTube demonstration in which the edges were just snipped at close intervals.
      I’ve tried sheath patterns in the past and have had the best luck with those using Princess seams since you have more control over the fitting. Good luck!

5. AuntieAllyn says:

Bravo! Looks really wonderful on you. I’ve had 100% success with StyleArc patterns, glad to see that other sewists like them as well.

6. poppykettle says:

I love those cuffs – very feminine! Having just ‘discovered’ Style Arc patterns, I’m dying to try them! This blouse is totally gorgeous :)

7. Louise says:

Looks fabulous on you! Inspiring me to make one too.

8. Sally says:

Very nice! Lovely print. Have you considered expanding your blog to include home decor? I just know you would have so many wonderful and inspiring ideas!

I love it- now I have 3 more companies to look up! Now if you like cuffs you can start buyin g fancy buttons!

10. Jan says:

Really cute tunic! I haven’t tried Style Arc patterns. Must go check them out right now!

11. Meg@mood says:

Love this top on you! Thanks for sewing with our fabrics and making them look so good, Sarah.

12. Jenny Reid says:

Love your blog and I signed up for the couture class. I am gathering supplies needed and I am confused with which paper to order on the Richard the Thread Class. Help!

13. Brenda says:

Love the tunic!
    (And I’m another who is loving working through Susan Khalje’s Couture Dress course on Craftsy!)

14. Renata Webster says:

Beautiful garment. I am starting to think you really like ruffles – lol. I totally agree with your comment about markings. Since I started doing that recently it has made a huge difference to my sewing as well. You continue being an inspiration.

15. Irene says:

Gorgeous tunic!

16. Shams says:

That tunic is *so* cute on you!!

Very very nice! I just received my first order of Style Arc patterns. Can’t wait to work with them!

18. Carol says:

Too cute! As always another home run for you. Don’t you just love that tracing paper??? I just used it to make a dress using the information from the Couture dress class and it does make all the difference in the world! I’m not finished with the dress project from the class nor have I finished all the lessons, but I sure am using some of the techniques from the lessons I have seen, on other projects. That class was so worth the $$. Oh and I love me some paisley!!

• Many thanks for the nice comment, Carol! Yes, I adore the tracing paper – the class was worth the money just to find out about the paper! Can’t wait to see your finished dress :)

19. Javie says:

Lovely work! I also ordered some Style Arc patterns but have yet to try them. I like your tip about marking the seam lines. Will do this when I try the patterns.

• Thank you, Javie! Fortunately the 3/8″ seamlines are marked on the pattern pieces so all you have to do is trace! I bet you had a blast fabric shopping in Las Vegas – how fun!

• Javie says:

Thanks for the heads up on the 3/8″ seamlines! I haven’t started the Style Arc yet so you saved me some potential heartache!

20. That fabric is the perfect choice, looks great.

21. Phil says:

Great match of fabric and pattern! Looks great on you x

I, too, have been noticing tunics just about everywhere I go – and they seem flattering on almost everyone! Yours is fabulous – the fabric is beautiful, and I love the way the pattern made up. It’s perfect with the white pants.
    Hm-m-m . . . There is definitely a tunic in my near future!

23. And queue the lovely tunic top. Perfect. Welcome home!

24. Ruth says:

You still look like you’re on holiday with that super cool tunic. Lovely top.

25. Maggie Edger says:

It looks like you have another winner. You did inspire me to sew a cover-up. Thank you. A. Maggie

26. Irene says:

Thank-you for your comment! Yes, I just layered the lace over the silk, basted all around the edges (sort of like underlining) then treated each piece as a whole. Make sense?

27. Lexley-Brisbane Australia says:

Greetings from Australia! Yes, a sublime top which was inspired and named after me! Was that not the best couture dress making class by Susan Khalje..and to think she is so sought after and charges $1000 and we bought this course for a ‘song’. I have learnt so much from Susan K. and am now finally (after 4 toiles/muslins!) starting my Chanel jacket using her basic principles of couture construction/sewing……I love reading your blog too and seeing what you are up to! The beach in your photos, where exactly is this?
    Cheers
    Lexley

• Hi Lexley – Thank you so much for writing and what a nice surprise! How flattering to be the inspiration of such a cute top!
      The Susan Khalje class was the best investment of time and money I’ve experienced in years. I’m so grateful to her and would love to take one of her classes one day!
      The beach in the photos is at Edisto Island, about 45 miles south of Charleston, SC.
      Good luck with your Chanel jacket!

• Lexley-Brisbane Australia says:

You and me both! To take a couture course with Susan Khalje would be just amazing! Alas, I do not live in the USA so this is not going to happen for me anytime soon!

28. Pingback: Tidbits | Goodbye Valentino