Beachworthy in a Snap

Ummmmmm………………I bought this bathing suit coverup for one of my daughters in 2009. After trying it on she quickly dismissed it because she thought it looked like a nightgown. I planned to return it to T. J. Maxx but three years later it was still hanging around.

Did I really think this was cute or was I just trying to get by on the cheap? I tried it on last week.

It looks like a nightgown all right, and I look like I’m about to give birth in it.

I packed it and brought it to the beach….. just in case…….. I never know when I’ll be deserted around here, and this morning it was just me and the lonely lab, Sumter.  I got out the loaner sewing machine, four pins, a ruler and a pair of scissors.

Greetings :)

All it took was removing six inches from the length, splitting the front and attaching the discarded length to the back to use as a tie when needed. Since the bottom edge of this fine garment was unfinished, I didn’t worry about finishing the front or the belt, though I did  have to remove the center flower, add an invisible snap, and reposition the flower pedals by hand.

From useless to acceptable in less than an hour.

No couture, but one couture dress is a gracious plenty here on Edisto Island!

This entry was posted in DIY, Easy Sewing, remaking clothes, sewing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Beachworthy in a Snap

1. Cheryl says:

Perfect! Well done, and no more nightgown :) Enjoy the beach! xoxo

2. Doobee says:

Brilliant!!! So, does the daughter want it back now??????

3. Tia Dia says:

You are so smart! I would never have thought of doing something like that to save a garment from the thrift pile!

From couture to practical (a la TJ Maxx) in less than a week – I love a versatile woman! Very clever remake!!

5. Sew-4-Fun says:

Very clever!!

6. Yes that is what I all a successful quick stitch. Hope you brought sunscreen with you!

7. sue says:

Very clever make-over!

8. Cuckoo Chanel says:

Fabulous refashion. Enjoy!!!

9. Great work bringing a useless garment out of the closet and giving it a new life! Looks so nice on you!
    Beth

10. Coco says:

You are so cute…:-) Coco

Wow this is a great transformation!!! Beautiful job, I love making use out of things you may otherwise get rid of!!!

12. Martha says:

Love to see a good sewing evolution. Good one!

What don’t you look fabulous in???? Very creative of you — and so cute!

Absolutely not! You’re worse than I am. “Acceptable” is not quite enough. Sort of like saying that Princess Catherine looks nice!

15. NinaLBoston says:

Aren’t you the clever one? An amazing save!
    You are living my dream with your couture dress and all those wonderful tops. You absolutely MUST learn to enjoy compliments — I see many more coming your way!

16. Thank you so much, Nina! Oh, I do enjoy compliments. Though the bathing suit cover-up was a great save, I don’t consider it to be a fabulous garment, and I certainly don’t consider myself to look fabulous in it – acceptable :)

17. mary says:

I learned of your blog yesterday. I work in a fantastic fabric strore (rarity these days) and was speaking to a customer about the couture Susan Kaji class. I am so happy to find this but just delighted that you have a lab named Sumter. I had the best dog ever in my twenties and thirties that was a big ole lab namped Sumter. I changed the speling as everyone said Sumpter anyway. It made my day! Now back to sewing.

• Hi Mary,
      Thank you so much for writing!I’d love to know more about the fantastic fabric store where you work… The dog belongs to my daughter’s boyfriend and it loves to come to the beach. Unfortunately, my dog, a Cairn Terrier hates the beach. :)