Simplicity 2497

It was as if Jo-Ann’s was expecting me. I arrived in the pouring rain without an umbrella to get supplies for the online Couture Dress class with Susan Khalje and walked right into this beautiful turquoise silk dupioni fabric. “Hello, Jo-Ann’s understands you just made a skirt from your daughter’s abandoned Lilly dress and want to wear a turquoise top with it – try this.

The Jo-Ann’s in my town doesn’t stock silk!

I was immediately sidetracked from Susan Khalje’s class, bought the silk, which is much cheaper at Mary Jo’s, and started sewing.

This is the third time I’ve made this Simplicity Cynthia Rowley dress pattern as a top, and it was an uneventful project. For some excitement I added a lining.

It was worth the departure from my original sewing plan, and it was encouraging to discover a new comfort level that wasn’t there when I made the top last fall.

I love the top with my “new” skirt and expect it to be an integral wardrobe element all summer long.Fortunately, the rain is gone, the top is finished and it’s back to couture class!

Best Wishes to all Moms for a Happy Mother’s Day!

I’m lucky enough to be a mom and have a mom :)

This entry was posted in Craftsy, making your own clothes, Ruffles, Simplicity Patterns, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Simplicity 2497

1. Peggy says:

The color is perfect with your skirt! Fabulous outfit!

• Thanks, Peggy! It certainly says s u m m e r which will be here in no time :)

• linda j. boni says:

All three versions of your “Cynthia Rowley” blouse are just BEAUTIFUL! How do you gather and sew down the ruffles so perfectly? Whenever I’ve tried applying ruffles to a garment (not inside a seam line), I end up with an amatuerish mess.

• Thank you, Linda!
        The ruffle is stitched on top of the top. With the first two I gathered the ruffle traditionally with two long stitches. With this one I used my ruffler attachment which gathers uniformly. I was very careful placing each ruffle which was then basted by hand. This is a fun top to make!

Perfect top for your skirt or anything from your closet! Happy Mother’s Day!

3. Irene says:

Fabulous top! Isn’t it wonderful when things just “happen”?

4. Cheryl says:

So cute! Perfect with the skirt. I can’t believe you found that fabric at Joann’s! One just opened in our little town, and I ran over with great anticipation…came back with new scissors and some cute green and white fabric that I think is drapery, but am hoping it will become my first project in years: a skirt like the one you did :)

Looks like I’ll have to go to Raleigh for the good stuff!

• Thank you, Cheryl! I’ve found Joann to be a great place for supplies. This was the first fabric I’ve bought from the store. Mary Jo’s, which is 50 miles away carries everything Joann’s sells for much less, but I’m glad to have a Joann store in town :)

Perfect colour! And lucky you doing Susan K’s Couture Dress Class! When I first got back to sewing, I did her online Top 10 Couture Techniques via Pattern Review. Absolutely fantastic! I often refer to her course notes. She’s a great instructor, very clear and engaging.

Very, very nice! I knew it would look gorgeous with that color!

What a great match and such a perfect outfit that is soooooo you! Lovely!

Oooh pretty! I have got to plan an attack on maryjos soon!

what a fabulous colour – love it and would buy that in an instant. Enjoy your mother’s day.

10. Ruth says:

That is one pretty outfit. I’m impressed with your ruffles.

• I love the ruffler! The first two times I made this top, I hand gathered the ruffles because the ruffle is gathered down the center. I decided to give it try on the ruffler by marking the center line and it worked beautifully!

What a gorgeous, perfect outfit. I have had that pattern since it came out and am now inspired to try it. I think I’ll make a top first, copycat that I am! Then maybe I’ll move on to a dress.
    I have a ruffler but am ashamed to admit that I have never used it. Any tips? How do you adjust the ruffles to the correct length?

• Thanks, Cissie! I was inspired to make the pattern as a top by LaRoque’s in Columbia SC. The designer is so cute and her facebook page is loaded with this style of tops. Nothing is original you know!
      As for the ruffler, it’s very easy though it looks intimidating. Mine will gather every 12, 6 or 1 stitch. For a full gather I place it on the 1 setting, but you should probably experiment and not take my word for it. Good luck!

• Cissie Wellons says:

Well, wouldn’t you just know? I can’t find the instructions for my ruffler!! I found a couple of tutes on the internet so maybe I can figure it out! Off to see if I can even get the darn contraption on the machine!!

12. I just love all the ruffles around the neckline! How fun to find just the right fabric to complete your vision! It looks fabulous!
    Happy Mother’s Day!
    Beth

It’s beautiful – great color! You have made a stunning outfit… Couldn’t help but notice your beautiful hydrangeas, too!

What a gorgeous top, and goes so beautifully with your skirt too. The picture of your family all together is lovely :)

15. Meg @ Mood says:

Really pretty top. We need to get you back to Mood ASAP. If you were happy with this silk from Jo-Ann’s you’ll go bonkers over our silks!

• Hi Meg,
      Thanks so much! I’m always trying to justify a trip to Mood. My current rationale is a day trip to Mood (airfare, cab fare, lunch) would cost no more than buying the Kate Spade Aubrey Wrap dress. Sounds reasonable, doesn’t it?
      In the meantime I have three beautiful pieces of silk from Mood in my stash waiting for transformation.:)

And I need to get back soon, too! I order from Mood all the time and have been so happy with both the fabrics and the service!

17. RoseOK says:

I love the color. I can’t wait to start a new piece. I hate when I have to go back an alter an outfit that I already made.

18. Maggie Edger says:

What a pretty summer outfit. So cool and refreshing. Keep Going. Love, A. Maggie