McCalls 3830 + Craftsy Class

Since the last post my sewing took a domestic turn in the form of window treatments for my daughter’s new apartment in Charleston. My husband and I drove down to check out her new home and help her settle in.

I sewed, she pressed, he hung; a comical scene since our family isn’t exactly handy. Thirty-six hours later we congratulated ourselves on a job well done and headed for Edisto Beach.

Shortly before leaving for Charleston, I decided to enroll in a much-needed sewing course.  For months, maybe years, I’ve been looking for the perfect skirt pattern. I finally concluded the only way to get the perfect one was to properly customize my existing skirt patterns, so I turned to this online course with Diana Rupp from Craftsy.com

I was really excited to get to Edisto and start on my skirt, but while getting my sewing machine from the car, this look of disappointment instantly appeared on my          husband’s face.

……………….

I ended up trading in my sewing time for a boat ride along with the worst sunburn I’ve had in 30 years.

Well I’m back home and finally finished both the sewing course and  this white pique skirt – a vivid contrast against my bright red skin.Modeling the skirt will occur after my sunburn subsides, however, I am extremely pleased with the finished product. The skirt – McCalls 3830 –  fits  p e r f e c t l y  and I expect to wear it throughout the summer.

Diana Rupp’s course features two projects from her book, Sew Everything Workshop; a pillow and a tailored skirt. Although the course was described as great for beginners, I was ready to slow down, back up and learn professional techniques in order to move ahead. Not only was the course a wise investment for fitting purposes but it was a great refresher course for techniques I’ve never mastered until now (below).

Tempted to take The Couture Dress course with Susan Khalje, I’m glad I started with simple instructions to prevent some of the complications I’ve faced in past                   sewing projects.

Entering the ninth month of making my clothes instead of buying my clothes for a year with new knowledge and new expectations should be incentive enough to carry me through the final three months of my challenge;

a challenge that has so far resulted in 43 new garments and  t h o u s a n d s  of extra dollars in my bank account.

This entry was posted in Basics, Craftsy, making your own clothes, McCall's Sewing Pattern, sewing blog, skirt pattern and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to McCalls 3830 + Craftsy Class

1. Cheryl says:

Sounds like a fun trip, except for the sunburn! Hope that clears up soon. What kind of window treatment did you make? That’s something I’m working on for my office right now :)

2. Linda B. says:

I hope you keep sewing and blogging after the year is up!!!!

Adorable skirt! A white summer skirt is on my list, too. Does this gal have a pants class? That is my bane. Great post!

• Thank you, Dorcas! I know there is a jeans class offered by another instructor, but I’m not sure if Diana Rupp offers a class on pants. The online class concept is terrific so I hope you can find a class on pants!

4. Carol says:

Your skirt looks great! Take the couture dress class…many are doing so. I had to leave mine for a bit while I work on much needed summer everyday items (skirts and knit tops). But I’ll get back to it in a few weeks. I’ve learned a lot already which I have used to create my everyday items. You will enjoy the class so much, I know I have.

• Thank you, Carol! I look forward to taking the Couture class soon. It was half price last week but unfortunately I let the bargain slip by. I really love the online class concept!

5. Suzi says:

Nothing beats a white skirt..dress it up dress it down! Looks very RTW.Will have to check out the class. I don’t have that pattern but one similar that I must have 20 skirts in my closet. I wear skirts instead of shorts/capris here in my little beach town and even around the house. I find skirts much cooler and just fun!
    Good luck on that burn…got fresh aloe plant? I keep one plant right at the door for that and mosquito bites.

• Hi Suzi! I love skirts too and am thrilled to finally have a basic pattern that I really like. As far as the aloe….. I’ve been misting with some aloe spray – I can hardly believe I let myself get burned after being so careful for so long.

6. Jan says:

I love the white pique! It looks great with all your pretty tops. I might put that on my summer sewing list. I signed up for Susan Khalje’s online class but haven’t really gotten started yet. Aren’t Craftsy classes great!

• Many thanks for you comments, Jan! I don’t know why I DIDN”T own a white skirt living in South Carolina! This was my first Craftsy class and I truly appreciate what I learned. My only criticism was the poor video quality of this course. The instructor was so cute and helpful, and deserved better video quality. Are there other Craftsy courses you recommend?

7. RoseOK says:

Great skirt. This is such a basic pattern that it will make a great basic Black skirt. I just hear about Craftsy classes. I will need to check them out.

• Hi Rose – Thanks for writing! I really love this skirt pattern and expect to use it repeatedly, but what I loved most was the Craftsy course. It was a little slow but it forced me to give details the attention needed for a professional finish. I was also surprised at the diversity of classes offered by Craftsy.

Really, really pretty skirt! I just made a white one out of a Ponte Roma knit and it’s very comfortable! I love how you paired yours with all the great different tops…did you make each of those tops??

• Thank you, Myra!
      I’ve made one garment with Ponte Roma knit and it sewed and wears like a dream!
      As for the tops – I made the black halter top and the peach/orange ruffled top. The pink top is a Lily Pulitzer I found at a consignment store a few years ago and I bought the Lily Pulitzer green sweater set (on sale of course :) ).

9. Tia Dia says:

Yay for a perfectly fitting skirt! I signed up to do the couture course, too, but I haven’t even cracked open the pattern or watched the first video yet. Where’s the time?

Susan Khalje’s Craftsy course is excellent. I have taken 3 face-to-face classes with her and can honestly say that she is the most patient, generous teacher you can imagine. The Craftsy course is the next best thing to having her sit beside you! Even though I’ve studied with her before, I really learned a lot with this class — ie, patching plaids, which I had been so reluctant to try. And as you point out, it is nice sometimes to be forced to sloooow down and really master tecniques!

11. Pingback: Gilding the LILY | Goodbye Valentino

12. Connie says:

What pattern did you use for the pink top (on the right side shown with the white skirt you made)? you have a talent for sewing, I hope you keep it up!

• Hi Connie!
      Sorry to disappoint you, but the pink top and green sweater set are RTW. I wanted to illustrate how versatile the skirt was with my existing wardrobe. The pink top is a Lilly Pulitzer which I hope to one day duplicate. Many thanks for writing! :)