Ice Cream Social – Vintage Simplicity 7715

What would Kate Spade wear to an Ice Cream Social?

……..

A new silk dress, of course!

I had a Kate Spade moment and took the plunge into this Simplicity pattern one more time.

Ok, it wasn’t just any Ice Cream Social.

It was an evening with ice cream gurus Ben & Jerry, and a new dress was in order for the black tie event!

I knew what I was getting into this time, but I am always amazed at how one pattern can sew completely differently the second or third time around. For instance, when I ran the 10-foot ruffle through the ruffler, it came up a foot shorter than the last one.

Why is that?

My darts seemed higher, and even though I cut the belt at least a foot longer than the pattern piece, it seemed no longer than the last one…..and this time the skirt sweep  was a better fit for me…….I expect subtle differences due to the fabric selection but am somewhat puzzled by the ones just mentioned.

Last night I realized I’ve come a long way from the self-conscious will my homemade dress be good enough days. Many women donned beautiful dresses filled with details mine lacked,  but there were none I wanted more than the one I was wearing.

While I’m not close to the 10,000 hours level of proficiency, the process of developing my sewing skills brings me self-confidence beyond the sewing machine. I gave up something I loved (shopping for expensive clothes) in exchange for something much better – freedom.

Here’s to sewing,

ice cream,

and

Ben and Jerry’s entrepreneurial spirit for the greater good!

This entry was posted in Kate Spade, Ruffles, sewing blog, Simplicity Patterns, Vintage Patterns and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

99 Responses to Ice Cream Social – Vintage Simplicity 7715

1. heartmadeforyou says:

LOVE this dress on you! Nice job!.

Beautiful job! You are smasing in it! Did you manage to work a pint of Chubby Hubby into the deal??

3. Allison says:

Wow, Beautiful dress! The fabric is just gorgeous.

You look lovely in the dress and so glad that you had a great time!

5. Peggy says:

Absolutely gorgeous!

6. Nicole says:

Wow! It is beautiful and you look fabulous! Great job.

Oh I loved the last one, but love this one better – I think – beautiful

8. Heather says:

It’s a beautiful dress and really suits you. I love silk dupion it gives a real look of luxury.

• Thank you, Heather! I love silk dupioni too but I’ve discovered the quality varies regardless of the price. This piece in particular has a wrinkle factor but I liked the color so much, I couldn’t pass it up!

9. JoanneM says:

Stunning. How gratifying when a project turns out so well. Congratulations.

10. Leezee says:

Just curious — how did you manage to “come a long way from the self-conscious will my dress be good enough days.” There’s a formula that can educate all of us!

• Leezee – Thank you for bringing this remark I made to my attention! I’ve edited it to read “come a long way from the self-conscious will my HOMEMADE dress be good enough days.”
      I was so accustomed to buying expensive dresses for social events that I was very self-conscious about wearing homemade dresses when I knew I would be in the company of women wearing $$$$$$$$$$$$$ clothes with fine details. As my sewing skills improved, my confidence increased and I eventually realized that beautiful fabric combined with a good fit and appropriate accessories = elegant dressing. Everything need not cost a fortune.

• Ahh, I feel the same way as you once did. I also feel self-conscious going to social events with this type of crowd wearing my homemade items. So far, they have been surprisingly well-received. I concur that the combination of great fabric, good fit and the right accessories make the outfit.

11. Phil says:

Just one word – beautiful!

Just lovely. Perfect styling too. I love how many different ways you’ve done this pattern- each more special than the last.

13. RoseOK says:

I love this. It’s amazing how changing the fabric makes the dress look so different. The ruffle is standing up more than in the first dress, which I loved. Is that the dupioni or did you add wire so it would stand up?

14. Shams says:

You look fabulous! What a perfect dress for the occasion.

15. Kathie Bennett says:

You are the creative guru!

16. Cheryl Fontenot says:

LOVE it! That’s really a great style on you. So impressed :)

17. Em says:

That’s the perfect dress for you for that event! You look fantastic!

18. Tia Dia says:

A silk dress is always such a stunning garment. I really like the ruffles personality in this silk, and I’m quite happy to know that I’m not the only one that runs into same-pattern-different-fit issues with different fabrics. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

19. Margaret W. Edger says:

Just Beautiful!!!!!!! A. Maggie

20. Ruth says:

Now that’s what I call a dress and I bet you had the extra confidence that there wouldn’t be another one like it on the night. Stunning.

21. Heather says:

Oh, what a lovely dress. The colour looks really good on you, you look fabulous in it!

22. Meg says:

Lovely! I bought this pattern too, though I have to consider of this dress is really me. It’s definitely you, though!

• Thanks so much, Meg! I’m delighted to have two of these dresses in my closet now, but I’m ready to put it to rest for a while. Would love to see your version if/when you make it!

23. RoseOK says:

Since the pattern you used is out of print, couldn’t I use a v neck dress pattern or a lengthened cross over top pattern and add the ruffle and belt to mimic your dress?

• Hi Rose – I’m sure you can add a ruffle to most existing dresses similar to this style. I have discovered when doing this, the importance of making sure the back neckline is high so that the ruffle doesn’t hit too low. :)

24. Velosewer says:

Stunning dress and it’s such a flattering style on you. This fabric makes it so gorgeous to look at.

25. Sally says:

Lovely!!

26. Andrea says:

Fabulous dress! The color and style are great on you.

Another great version of this dress! That colour fabric makes me think of French vanilla or fresh peach ice cream…I totally agree with you re: the freedom that sewing your own clothes brings…such a buzz!

• Thank you for the very nice comments here and on PR! You’re exactly right about the color – kind of a champagne. I have to remind myself that the more you sew the better you get and the better you get the less RTW is relevant. :)

28. robindenning says:

You look stunning! Kudos to you for making it work with a different fabric. If you had any difficulties, it sure does not show on the final garment. Great job! (and great way to work those TNT patterns!)

29. AllisonC says:

This is an absolutely gorgeous dress, I love the colour on you too.

30. dressesandme says:

What an amazingly-gorgeous dress! The colour and cut are great on you! Well done

Amazing job on your dress, it is gorgeous. Sounds like a fun evening.

32. Suzi/FlFiFiLarue says:

You have come a long way Baby! lol There is just so much to be said for making a dress, then wearing it to a function where YOU KNOW Big $$$$$ dresses will be worn! My confidence level would have been on the edge in a situation like that…lol…wondering will it look like I made it.Great Great Great Job! Its every bit the BIG $$$$$$ Look!
    That being said…the dress is JUST Stunning on you…the color, fabric and fit is just outstanding!

• What a nice comment, Suzi! I’d eventually like to add details to my clothes that expensive RTW features but it all takes time I suppose. Feeling good rather than self-conscious in my clothes was certainly a turning point for me!

33. Renata Webster says:

Stunning, elegant, gorgeous, can’t think of a word more appropriate. You would have won the Vintage Contest hands down with this one. I totally love it.

• Thank you, Renata! I finished this dress after the deadline for the Vintage Contest, but I did enter the first Simplicity 7715 dress I made. There are some great entries in the contest! Many thanks for writing :)

34. carol says:

As usual, another beautiful dress. It looks like a piece of art! You picked the perfect fabric, color and style. I love the way the ruffle stands up framing your face, that and the color gives you radiance and you are beaming with pride.

35. Jeyco says:

Wow, the dress is sooo beautiful! You look really gorgeous in it. I love the fabric and the color :)

36. Irene says:

The dress is absolutely gorgeous. Glad that your confidence is building. My personal opinion is that you can get a much better product sewing for yourself. All it takes is practice, practice, practice and attention to detail. It really does get easier the more you sew. I do hope that you keep on sewing for years and years to come.

37. Victoria says:

Gorgeous Dress!!!! The color, style, fabrication are perfect!!! I just found your blog. I LOVE your style. You’ve got a great eye for fashion. The premise of your blog is pretty unique too. Thanks for following along with my 10,000 hour adventure. BTW, we’re practically neighbors. You live in Bluffton & I live in Savannah. Who know’s we may bump into each other one day. Keep sewing beautiful things and I’ll be waiting in anticipation (wink). Take Care ~Victoria

• Thank you, Victoria…… and I love your blog! As a matter of fact I thought I was following it and just realized today that I wasn’t. Actually, I live in the upstate of SC. My husband and I were at a meeting in Bluffton which was beautiful. We were at the Inn at Palmetto Bluffs on the May River and our trip was too short!

38. Toni says:

I have never been compelled to leave a comment on a blog before but I find your work inspiring! This dress its gorgeous as its the rest of the pieces you’ve posted. Well done and it looks fabulous on you. Love your blog!

• Hi Toni and thank you so much for your comment! I had never left the first comment on a blog before starting my own. As a matter of fact I had not followed or really read one…….. something compelled me and I knew a blog would help me stick to my challenge of no RTW for a year. It’s been fun and the support and comments from readers is enormously helpful. Many thanks again :)

39. It’s absolutely Beautiful! You’re so right, the right fabric and good fit make a beautiful outfit. I loved both versions (did I miss an earlier one?); the fact that one pattern can be used to make totally different looks is one of the best things about sewing ones own clothes.
    I also just found your blog today, and have loved reading your posts.

• Many thanks for this nice comment! I’ve made the dress twice (blue and white and this one). I was making a general statement about sewing patterns two and three times.
      Thanks too for introducing me to your blog. I really look forward to reading it! :)

40. oonaballoona says:

STUNNING!!! i can’t imagine eating ice cream in anything less.

41. amy mullikin says:

I love your blog and have enjoyed reading all of your posts. i really want to make a dress for myself but i have never been very good at fitting a dress for myself. I am much better at making pillows but i am thinking about it!

• Hi Amy!
      Thank you so much for the comment! I’m not so hot at fitting dresses for myself either, but I just decided to go for it. Since I started this blog I have learned so much about what is available online such as sewing classes. I decided I was ready for the perfect fitting skirt, and over the weekend signed up for a class through http://www.craftsy.com , which I am taking now.
      I think the key to success is to make the mock-up first for fit.
      Many thanks again for touching base and I hope to see you soon :)

42. Wow. Incredible dress. Your blog is so inspiring to a beginner like myself. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity.

43. Marnita Parry says:

Lovely, absolutely lovely. Your journey has inspired me to start sewing for myself again. Hopefully I will be able to come close to your sucess. I hope that you don’t stop sewing and blogging at the end of your year w/o RTW.

• Thank you so much for writing! It is quite inspirational to me to hear I have inspired you to sew again! I don’t know how long it has been since you last sewed but I’m so pleased with the “new sewing scene” thanks to the internet and technology. Good luck!

44. tigergirl says:

This dress is absolutely gorgeous.

45. Pingback: The Ultimate Compliment | Goodbye Valentino

46. sewbusylizzy says:

I LOVE this. And kicking myself I didn’t buy this pattern on eBay this week!!!! I am an idiot! You look amazing :-)

47. Judy Smith says:

You are beautiful and nothing you make looks “homemade”! I prefer the term “hand tailored”!

48. sewnotwork says:

I have always wanted a dress like this! I was wondering if you cut the ruffle on the bias as in pattern or on grain?

49. I cut the ruffle on the bias. The ruffle is four separate pieces sewn together. It was approximately 10 feet long. Hope you’ll make this dress sometime! :)

50. Pingback: To Sew or Not to Sew–and Do Taxes | Sew Not Work

51. Katherine B. says:

how hard was this to make?

• At the time I made it I thought it was difficult. The sewing wasn’t nearly as difficult as the fitting because this pattern, a Vintage Simplicity was designed for a Jr. figure and I had some adjustments to make. However I love it ;)