Style Arc Straight Up

“Good with spandex” caught my eye on Style Arc ‘s Diana pattern page while I was writing my last post.  Since I had a little spandex left over from this endeavor, and since I knew another Diana top was only an hour away, I headed back to the sewing machine .

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm……………..

Well, it only took an hour. It was “free” so to speak. The colors are great …………… OK, it’s all good but I’m not sure it’s me.

Maybe if I was twenty years younger.

Let me just say I would have never bought this low-cut, body-hugging top had I had a chance to try it on first.  Of course IF I was shopping, I would have bought more of the same, and I recognize this inadvertent wardrobe assortment as one of the beauties of sewing. I now own all kinds of things I would have never bought  -  maybe because they don’t exist anywhere but in my closet, but maybe because I was ready for a change.

Some of the clothes I’ve made are great and some are so-so, but they all represent my greatest efforts of escaping the rip-off, I mean the retail scene which was sucking me into a spending frenzy.

I’m likely to be more comfortable wearing the Diana top like this:

but maybe I’ll get some unexpected daughter approval and wear it the way Style Arc designed it with no frills or ruffles – just straight up.

Best wishes for a great weekend and Happy Easter to all who are celebrating!

This entry was posted in Basics, making your own clothes, sewing blogs, Sewing Tops, Style Arc Patterns and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Style Arc Straight Up

1. I think you look beautiful, but if the low cut neckline makes you uncomfortable, what about layering some other sleeveless camisoles underneath?

2. RoseOK says:

I like it with and without the sweater. From the picture, the scoop does not look that low. Can you adjust the shoulders any to lift the scoop?

Do you use only Stye Arc patterns?

• Thank you, Rose. Fashion tape may be the answer. There is no room for adjustments anywhere!!
      I sew all patterns but I can certainly understand why you ask if I only use Style Arc. I’ve certainly been stuck on that company lately!

3. Lakaribane says:

Doesn’t look to low cut to me but you can trace the neckline higher. I know the Style Arc patterns come single size so what you could do is :
    - take a piece of pattern paper or even muslin or lawn and trace the existign neckline of the pattern.
    - Mark CF
    - Slide the paper to the height you want. I usually measure a top with the neckline height I want, to have an idea by wearing it and measuring from the waist up. Note that measurement.
    - Pin, glue or tape your new neckline at the chosen height.
    - True the neckline ie make the neckline smooth btw the original pattern and your “fix-it” piece.

Tada!

4. Lakaribane says:

Additional note: I mark CF so I can keep both the “fix-it” and the original pattern properly aligned with one another.

5. Lakaribane says:

me again! Look at this post, illustrating what I tried to explain (the first part):

Sew serendipity or what?

I love it both with and without the cardi, but it looks great on you, so not quite sure why you are worried – as normal another great outfit.

I agree with the others! I like this with and without the cardigan. You look fabulous!

8. heidilovesgunther says:

I’ve never seen you before (I just clicked through from PR) but I have to say – twenty years younger? pffft! This top looks fantastic on you! :)

9. Carol says:

I’m in agreement with everyone else too. You look great. I would love to look like you do in that top. Make more!!!

10. Ahh thanks!! The photo is more flattering than my true appearance and like I said….. it’s just not my usual style :)

11. Valerie says:

The top looks good on you but if the neckline shows a little too much in reality maybe a partial ruffle from leftover material might help?

12. nancy says:

The one thing my daughters, age 29 and 31, have told me (over and over, because I require convincing) is that this sort of garment is actually MORE flattering. You already know how to do those pattern alterations, so listen to the daughter voice – she (they?) knows!

Nancy

P.S. i’m very much enjoying your adventure!

• Thank you for writing Nancy! My daughters have guided me through a lot of wardrobe choices and I’m eagerly awaiting their opinions on this one! (they need to see me in the actual top vs. a photo) :)

13. You know I really like this top and the version with the ruffles. Both suit you and, frankly, you have the figure so can wear the lower neckline without worry. That being said I know how it feels wearing something lower than normal – easy to feel self conscious. I have my self conscious days, kinda like bad hair days :o)

14. Cheryl Fontenot says:

This is your excuse to buy (hey, a girl’s gotta do a LITTLE shopping now and then…) a fabulous statement necklace! Something with lots of beads like they’re showing in all the mags would cut down on that ‘exposed’ feeling (which I totally understand!). The top looks like a great cut and fit – if I’m ever brave enough to tackle anything more than straight line sewing of simple valences, I’m going to look at Style Arc!

Happy Easter to you and yours!
    xx

• Thank you, Cheryl! Style Arc patterns are really nice, well-cut pieces.
      As for the top…….. I think fashion tape may do the trick here but I’m on the lookout for a necklace too!

15. Phil says:

I love the idea of a statement necklace suggested by Cheryl above, I agree it would look fabulous on you! But having said that I think most sewists make some things they just never feel ‘right’ in, so if you don’t find a fix, I wouldn’t feel bad. I recently completed a skirt with hand sewn trimmings that took me a whole day to make and fitted perfectly. . .I put it on and thought, “I will never wear this”. Too ditsy for my age (41). I hung it in my wardrobe for a couple of weeks to confirm my decision then donated it. I console myself that another (much ditsy-er) person is having fun wearing it right now. To get over the disappointment, I ran up one of my TNT tops and all is now well again in my sewing world. . .Happy Easter x

• Thank you so much for the thoughtful comment! …… and sorry about your skirt.
      We always take a chance when sewing and though I like the top just fine – you said it perfectly- I don’t feel “right” in it. Fashion tape should do the trick. I just bought a pack and it seems to work fine.
      Hope you had a great Easter! :)

16. Maggie Edger says:

Hey Niece – while you got it – keep on flaunting it. You look great. Another winner. A. Maggie

17. PendleStitches says:

I think this top looks amazing on you and you look beautiful in it. That said…I can completely relate to how something that you normally wouldn’t wear just feels a little bit off. It happens to me all the time. But I do believe that sometimes it’s good to push the boundaries of what we would normally wear to see what happens. At least next time you know what adjustments to make…and this is lovely on it’s own, or for more comfort with the cardigan. Or perhaps you could add a little trim to the bustline to make it more comfortable for you?

• Thank you very much for your comment! I think the photo is flattering to the top and fit. Fashion tape may be the answer here and a slightly raised neckline will be the answer on the next go around :)

18. ZoSews says:

Hi there, I think this looks fabulous on you :) I understand that feeling of ‘uncomfortable’ though. I usually force myself to wear the item a few times, them it gets banished to the back of the wardrobe…

19. Tia Dia says:

I think they’re lovely tops – both this one and the ruffled one in your previous post. What a great top pattern – especially not having to get proper fit using darts. I don’t particularly think this top is so low on you, but then again some of the things I wear feel really low but look great. It’s a conundrum sometimes!

I love this top…just think it needs a big splash of orange!

Wow! Your Easter post on my blog was awesome! Don’t you love that Blooming 9 patch? I made one for my bed that is outstanding.

I have yet to order any Style Arc patterns but I have corresponded with Chloe regarding size and she advised me to size up. I would like to order both pant patterns you have made. I’m especially intrigued by the Leah Lounge Pant.

AND…any time now I should be receiving my first BRA kit from Bra-makers Supply. Have you seen Sigrid’s blog or PR posts on bra making? Others have made them, too, and I am blown away at how professionally finished they are. Sigrid and others say it is addictive…like I need more dope.

I wish our paths would have crossed sooner when I was living in Atlanta! We would have had a better chance of meeting. Maybe some day. I met Pauline (Pdiddly) from the UK when she was in Houston for business and it was so much fun.

Have a great week…talk soon…
    dorcas

21. velosewer says:

You’ve done a great job on this top. It looks great with or without the jacket.

Oh, I think it is a gorgeous little top, and looks equally good with or without the cardigan. Could you add sleeves if you wanted?