Two Wrongs Get It Right

Greetings from lovely Bluffton, SC!

My husband and I are here where he is meeting with colleagues.  I am riding bicycles, taking yoga classes and enjoying the abundant coastal wildlife which all headed for the lagoon when I walked out of my cottage wearing the latest.

Even the big alligator made a u-turn and started swimming toward the river. I‘m thinking about making a scarecrow out of these clothes just to keep it away.

I knew this orange floral fabric would not be suitable for the dress I planned to make the minute I opened the box, and these pants practically cut and sewed themselves. Since this is the fifth pair of pants I’ve made in three weeks, I’m pretty comfortable with the process – I’ll even say making pants is an easy undertaking once one knows how to fit oneself!

I bet you already know I made these pants from Style Arc’s Leah Lounge Pants pattern, which I am retiring after making three pairs for the spring and summer. My fabric, which I ordered from Mood Fabrics was so wide, I was able to layout the main pattern pieces side by side and have enough left over to make another garment…………great.

A few years ago I bought these Jack Rogers sandals with a kitten heel thinking they would make great summer sandals.  WRONG.

The shoes are cute enough but they look terrible on my legs with dresses and skirts. My white summer slacks were the wrong style and length to wear with these shoes, but           I really like them with my new orange floral pants!

Who would have thought a cast-off pair of shoes and some disappointing fabric combined with a 10- year-old sweater would turn into cute, alligator-protecting, resort wear?

A miracle indeed.

Many thanks to everyone for helping me get through the fabric crisis!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Mood Fabrics, sewing blog, Style Arc Patterns and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Two Wrongs Get It Right

1. Anna H says:

I love it! You look great, and I wish I had some of that orange floral – orange is one of my favorite colors, so I am coveting it.

• Thank you, Anna – I bet Mood Fabrics has lots and lots ready to go! It is a very nice weight. I thought about not lining the pants because the fabric didn’t require it, but the wrinkle factor convinced me otherwise.

2. Jamye says:

I love the pants…………..I love the entire outfit! Enjoy your trip. Our beautiful spring weather has turned into rain, rain and more rain just north of you!

This is a great looking outfit!

4. Charlotte says:

I just discovered your blog and have been going through all your archived posts. I have been away from sewing for several years (due to travel and other life issues) and am eager to start sewing my own wardrobe again. I am finding so much inspiration here and I look forward to your future projects. Your creations are just beautiful, and you are beautiful in them – thank you for sharing them!

• Thank you, Charlotte for the very nice comments. I was a little rusty in the beginning and am still pretty average, but I am finding some success with basic skills and you will too! I love the way sewing has changed over the years through technology and online communications!

Clothing instinct wins- those pants are great!

Oh! I am coveting your orange ensemble! Love it!! Want it! Which Style Arc pattern pant pattern do you like best, this one or the closer fit?

• Hi Dorcas – Thanks for the comment and I am definitely pretty orange right now.
      As far as the Style Arc patterns………. they are entirely different. The closer fit (Elle) pattern requires stretch and has a better fit. I like wide leg pants however without waistbands so the Leah Lounge Pants were well suited for my tastes.
      I really, really love the fit of the Elle pattern!

7. Brenda says:

The perfect Spring Is Just Around The Corner ensemble. And an alligator deflecting isn’t a bad thing either. Good Job!

8. Paula Strid says:

Love your pants. The alligator must be a very dim male because a large floral print in separates or even a simple dress is all over the runways now. The multi stripe would make amazing pillows or even a wonderful oversized tote for summer. On the large orange stripe, have you tried laying another color or print underneath? If you could see it, that might make the large orange stripe fairly interesting. Also topstitching another fabric across it would also change it up and make it amazing. Remember all mistakes are just opportunities for creativity. I am new to your blog and am enjoying keeping up with your adventure. I am hopeful that you find that the decision that you made to make your clothes for one year to be one that changes you for the better. Paula

• Hi Paula,
      Thanks so much for your comments and wonderful suggestions. I love the idea of using another color underneath the sheer stripe! ….. and you are so right that mistakes always provide unexpected opportunities for creative growth! Many thanks.

9. Mary says:

Gorgeous orange florals! You look amazing.

10. RoseOK says:

I love your outfit. I, too, am new to your blog and love the idea of not buying RTW. Let’s keep the independent fabric stores alive. I do have a great stash of fabric but I will try to buy some new fabric every few months. I am working on my “orange” outfit right now.

Thanks for inspiring me.
    Rose

• Hi Rose, Thank you so much for your comments. I thought I would be settling for less by giving up RTW but it’s just the opposite! With the exception of very fine knits, I’m making everything I’ve always wanted to have (except these orange pants :) ). I’m also realizing I spent most of my clothing money on cocktail and special occasion attire – ignoring my everyday wardrobe needs. This year is giving me a chance to truly change my shopping priorities.

11. Elaine says:

When you mentioned Gators, I made a mental leap! You ~must~ go to an early season football game at Tennessee next year. You will be the envy of all.

It turned out great!

12. dressesandme says:

They are gorgeous! Glad to see it all worked out!

the whole outfit looks wonderful – so bright and just shouts sunshine and summer

14. robindenning says:

The pants really look great, as does the whole outfit! I have certainly experienced the same disappointment from online fabric purchases. I try to avoid it, to tell you the truth.
    The other thing I do is buy too much sometimes. At least my recent purchases have gone well (but I need to stop buy for a while!)

• Thank you, Robin! The fabric shops seem to be disappearing in my area and online shopping is the only option for some fabrics, but I do try to stock up whenever I’m around good fabric stores. I too often buy more than I need but perhaps that’s just part of sewing! Love all your latest fabrics :)

Fantastic orange outfit, way to turn around the fabric disappointment into such a winner. Great job.

16. Not only do two wrongs make a right but it also confirms that you should never ever throw anything away. Just in case. Oh dear, I’m in trouble ….. :o) hahahaha

17. sue says:

Love that you finally found a way to wear the cute sandals – sometimes some things just click. Love your remark about having aenough fabric to make another item! LOL! Enjoy your break – you may have sold this pants pattern to me!

18. Em says:

LOVE the outfit!!! The pants are extraordinarily well suited to your present location and were an opportunity waiting to be seized! I WANT the shoes….they are the perfect touch.

The orange multi-stripe just needs the right pattern. It would be fun to play with those stripes. Something like Vogue 1253 where you have multiple pieces and can lay the stripes in all sorts of directions. Skirt with a chevron. :)

• Thank you so much for your comments! I noticed you can get these shoes at a good price now :). I checked out Vogue 1253 and will give it some thought. It’s a great looking pattern – my concern is my level of expertise…. I could make a real mess with the stripes! Maybe, however I can handle a skirt with a chevron – great idea!

19. I love the orange pants and sweater! I am thinking of making an orange and pink wardrobe capsule for summer. I was inspired by your super cute pants!
    xoxo,