Orange Pique

Well, I made these orange/red pique pants from fabric in my stash using this wonderful Style Arc pattern again . The pants turned out great, but sadly I have

n o t h i n g

but a couple of white  tops to wear with them.

I’m going to consider this unadorned photo a blank canvas – maybe like one of those paper dolls you cut out and dress up with different clothes.

I’m noticing red and orange pants everywhere this spring combined with vivid colors, and I look forward to sewing new tops in new colors for my new pants.

As I enter my seventh month of abstention from buying RTW clothes, I am astonished at what a rut I was in even though I spent so much money buying clothes. I bought the same thing over and over and over.

The time I spend browsing these days on the Saks, Neiman Marcus, Kate Spade, Pinterest and other websites has opened my eyes to styles I would have overlooked, and the small amount of money I’ve invested in each sewing project has spurred me on to try new colors and styles. For instance, I would have never considered this color combination of separates.

(Diane von Furstenburg)

Several people have written to me expressing an interest in giving up Ready to Wear for a year.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY RECOMMEND IT,

and I believe this fast from shopping for clothes has released me from the repetitive purchases I was making.

G O   F O R   I  T  !  !

ps.. about the pants…… I used a lightweight cotton pique and added a polyester lining.

This entry was posted in sewing blogs, Style Arc Patterns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Orange Pique

YES! Now you are talking MY colors…orange rules! Love it. I have a pair of pants this exact same color…mine is really a coral…I love it paired with the mustard as you have done…

• I have always loved orange and coral too and I know I’ll have fun with these pants. My camera (a new one at that) is really doing a p o o r job in every aspect. The sweater is chartreuse although every commenter refers to it as mustard. The sweater is cashmere so I won’t be wearing it with the pique, but I am thinking in new colors now :) Thanks for writing!

2. Mary says:

Lovely color, and paired with a mustard will be so vivid…I was telling my husband that I planned to make some more Clover pants…and he said “Anything but red” :-( , which was my plan. Men can be so traditional.

• Hi Mary,
      Thanks for your comments! I recently read the color red is (subconsciously) quite appealing to men. Maybe you can bring it into your wardrobe through other garments until he’s just craving you in red :)

3. Wow brilliant colour and they suit you well. Fantastic trousers. Again!

4. MareeAlison says:

I too, love your orange pants with the mustard (I was thinking moss green) jacket. Have you reviewed that jacket because I would really like to know what pattern it is. It looks fantastic as an outfit.

• Many thanks for your comment! My camera is seriously underperforming, and what’s worse is that it is new. The sweater is a chartreuse cashmere that I bought from WORTH a few years ago. I won’t be wearing it with the pique but I am thinking in new color terms now.
      I made a sweater very similar to the WORTH sweater with Simplicity 2603
      and also have a pattern from Style Arc that is similar. The Simplicity is super easy and offers 4 pattern options.

5. June Shelley says:

I am enjoying your post sooooo much! Tempted to bring out my old sewing machine. I love how this adventure has brought you into a new world of color. Great work Sarah

• Ah thanks, June!! So good to hear from you! It’s been a while since I sewed for myself but this go around has been very fulfilling. Let me know if you start sewing again and we can take a road trip to Mary Jo’s. :) By the way, I love the triplets blog!

6. Your pants are awesome! Heads will be turning….. Buying RTW pants is my only weakness.

• Thank you so much! I’m so paranoid about making my pants too tight that I’ve made them too large each time so far……. definitely a pain BUT I keep thinking once I’ve mastered the fit they’re going to be easy with so few pattern pieces. One of these days!

7. sue says:

Great pants – I love the fit you have achieved and the colour is great. I love orange too!

8. Caroline Lazzara says:

You are very talented….I’m working on something now that will most likely go to Goodwill…I don’t think I have any talent anymore and am more frustrated than pleased……

• Thanks for writing, Caroline. I promise I am no more talented than anyone else – very average sewing skills. I’ve made many garments that went to Goodwill or the trash can. These orange pants almost did. I made them too large, then too small, took out the zipper, the fabric began to ravel and I sewed up the zipper side of the lining……. I almost threw them away but I’ve promised to see my projects to completion this year. In the end they turned out great and I really love them.
      The one thing I think I do fairly well is match fabric to patterns because I have bought and tried on so many clothes through the years.

9. poppykettle says:

You know what? I totally adore that mustard yellow draped top with your white and red combo. Those pants look comfy and the colour certainly packs a punch! Love your work :)

• Thank you sooo much! I was just trying out colors and the sweater is cashmere so I won’t be wearing it with pique, but I really like the color combo.
      Again, I love the suit you made – the jacket is really impressive!

these look wonderful – in fact I have seen quite a few looks with different bright bold colours – i.e coral pants, jade green jacket purple top………… if the colours a put together well it does look good, but I am probably too conservative to do that.

• Thank you, Pauline! I love the vivid color combo looks too. At 5’2″ (157.5 cm) I try to create a longer silhouette and combining colors can be tricky, but I’m trying.

I’m getting confused keeping user names/email names/ facebook names/ and blogs straight with everyone. Is your blog P’s Thrifty Sewing Blog? If it is I’m glad to make the connection and love your blog!

11. Heather says:

I LOVE that colour, good job on the trousers too. It is interesting that making clothes is helping you to try new colours and styles, I wonder why that is………I am on the 12 month no buying clothes challenge starting on 1 March. My problem is that work is seriously hampering my sewing time, I have things cut out but no time to sew. And there is another week-end of working ahead of me I will have to book a week off if I am ever to get things done.

• Thank you, Heather! I believe I’m trying new colors and styles because
      1- sewing a garment requires so little financial investment
      2- the possibilities are infinite
      3 – I live in a rather small city with limited choices and often have to travel to shop for clothes aside from basics
      I admire you for going on a clothes shopping fast for a year! This year was a good time for me because I am a true empty-nester now with my youngest daughter graduating from college and moving to another city. Sewing is time consuming but sometimes I’m amazed at what I can get done in 15 minutes. Good luck and many thanks for writing!

12. Mararet W. Edger says:

Another winner. I have always loved tangerine or orange (except Tenn. orange). Grandmother had a beautiful tangerine silk dress that I would borrow and wear and a wonderful coral color dress.
    A. Maggie