One Award + Two Legs =

…… a   l e n g t h y   p o s t ,  but please stay!

Yesterday I received a lovely message from Beth at Chic Envelopments who awarded me a Versatile Blogger Award.

Many thanks, Beth!

I started following Chic Envelopments after reading the cheerful Mitten Madness post. Since then Beth has launched a new Etsy Shop with beautiful handmade cards. Check it out!

The rules to abide by when accepting a Versatile Blogger Award  are listed below:

1. Add the award to your blog

2. Thank the blogger who gave it to you.

3. Mention 7 random things about yourself.

4. List the rules.

5. Give the award to 15 bloggers.

6. Inform each of those 15 bloggers by leaving a comment on their blog .

So, moving on to rules  3 and 5……….

Seven Random Things About Me:

1. I once owned an apron business
  2. I’ve written a book yet to be published
  3. I have a very cute, but very bad dog
  4. My favorite music is Classical with Lady Gaga running a close second

5. I’m addicted to iPhone Scrabble
  6. I  l o v e  French food  and British  films
  7.  Favorite Quote: “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” Dalai Lama

Did you really want to know those things?

Versatile Blogger Award Recipients: The rule states to list blogs I’ve recently discovered…….. I’m only six months into blogging so all blogs are recent discoveries, but  I’m hoping the list may include new ones for you, although some of the sewing blogs might be known:

LaRoque Annabelle LaRoque (and Amy Butler) inspired me to sew again

Mimi G This girl is downright cool

Sew 4 Fun Lovely shirts and tops among other garments.

My Art Attack Dorcas is just fun. She writes as well as she sews.

A Little Sewing I bet she’s received this before, but I love the blog

Shelia – CTK  Check out Shelia’s wrap leather dress!

Peggy’s Closet Peggy makes cute clothes and has great shoes!

Crush Party by Champagne Maker Unbelievable knitting, great taste, creative pursuits

Pretty Stuff  Crush party’s daughter – just as creative as her mom

Straight Stitched A brand new sewing blog by Jayme. She sews beautifully

Pretty n Pink A well written satirical view about the runway scene with some sewing mixed in

The Crimson Poppy I adore paper flowers. They are so festive and fun to make for parties. Big impact for a few $$$$

Seamstress Poppykettle Engineer by day – sewing enthusiast by night

—————————-

In the meantime, I’ve been sewing. I don’t expect anyone to get too excited about my latest project. I made my first pair of pants in over 10 years. My apprehension lay with the fitting, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected.

I began with one of the few pants patterns I own: Very Easy Vogue #7912

I used a stretch khaki denim  but my inexperience in working with this type of fabric showed as soon as I basted the pieces together. Wide legs and heavy fabric aren’t a great combination ………. So I followed Tim Gunn’s advice and

I MADE IT WORK

by  reducing the leg width inch by inch, hour by hour until reaching a desirable look. As you can tell they look nothing like the pattern.

FRONT
BACK

The pants are certainly nothing flashy or even memorable but they will serve me well  for casual everyday purposes. Now that the first pair is behind me I’m going to try more soon.

Wishing you a great weekend !

This entry was posted in sewing blog, sewing blogs, Versatile Blogger, Vogue Sewing Patterns and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to One Award + Two Legs =

1. I love your aprons and your booth design! I’m going to check out all your links, they look like fun!

• Thanks, Beth! The aprons were fun for a while. Artful Aprons……. I reproduced famous works of art and sold them to Art Museum gift shops then eventually expanded into general retails as I met artists along the way. When my manufacturer died (a local cut and sew man), the family closed the business and I had to look at having them made overseas (80,000 at a time). I decided to move on………

2. Elaine says:

Congratulations! I added quite a few of your links to my Google Reader. Thanks — and have a great weekend too!

3. Sarah!! Wow! thanks so much for including me on your list! So flattered! I vow that my weekend will be full of refashioning a pile of skirts from days gone by of the days I worked @ a chic boutique here in Charlotte. ONE of them is a REAL Valentino and I’m scared to death that I’m gonna mess it up, but I’m not wearing it the length and shape that it is and you’ve inspired me to not let at least the Valentino fabric go to waste. Maybe I should spell that waist…let’s be honest, I might wear it if it FIT! A tiny-hiny is also days gone by. Thanks for the mention and the inspiration. Am I suppose to award this button to folks??

• Champagne,
      I just love your blog – and Patterson’s !!!! I’d be nervous cutting a real Valentino too and can’t wait to see your refashioning!
      Yes – if you could award the button to some favorite blogs of yours. This is what you are supposed to do:
      1. Add the award to your blog

2. Thank the blogger who gave it to you.

3. Mention 7 random things about yourself.

4. List the rules.

5. Give the award to 15 bloggers.
      Have fun!

4. Heather says:

Those trousers are the right proportions for your small frame, they look good. I wish I could say the same for the ones I make for myself – they have to be floaty, wide legged and of a generous proportion. Half a dress made today, woo hoo, another warm sunny day here, we can’t believe our luck.

Sarah,
    Oh, I will! How fun…thanks for adding me. I will work on this project this weekend!
    dorcas
    Art Attack

6. Martha says:

What a fun blog you have! And I love the pants. They fit great.

7. You wrote a book? I would feel so proud of that! And I like that quote by the Dalai Lama.
    Thank you so much for mentioning my blog!!

Oh, and I totally feel like a drug pusher now, but have you tried Style Arc patterns? They are in Australia, so shipping is a little pricey, but the fit is great. You might like them!

• Hi Robin !
      Yes, I wrote a book entitled Listening to the Sound all about a personal transformation through a shabby house on the beach over a 25 year period.
      My writing workshop teacher encouraged me to start a blog but I doubt he meant a sewing blog! Funny how things happen :)
      I ordered two Style Arc pants patterns about 10 days ago and really look forward to trying them.
      Thanks for the response and I do love your blog!

• Excellent! I am glad your “year of austerity” ;) does not preclude purchase of patterns.
        I love your blog as well as those you mentioned.
        Keep up the great work!

8. A book all written? Wow. What have you done with it? How wonderful.

Good pants are good pants and the best kind are those that are good to wear. I look forward to a good pair of pants in my not too distant future.

• Good to hear from you! Two years ago I completed a book entitled Listening to the Sound all about a personal transformation through a shabby house on the beach over a 25 year period.
      I’ve attended publishing workshops and the instructor is convinced it will get published. He told me in the meantime to start a blog but I doubt he meant a sewing blog! ….The twists and turns of life!!!
      Let me know if you find a wonderful pants pattern. I have two on order from Style Arc which get good reviews.

9. Peggy says:

Wowzers! Thank you so much for including me on this list! I can’t wait to take a look at the links, and I’ll (hopefully) post my list tomorrow.

Beethoven, Gaga, and Liszt: that’s quite a line-up! And your aprons look fab!

I like the new pants; they look clean, crisp, and classic. Please let us know how the stretch woven holds up. I have some problems with the knees bagging and sagging.

10. Thanks, Peggy! Beethoven, Liszt, Bach……. etc….. I just find Lady Gaga’s songs so catchy and amusing…. and then she is so outrageous that she’s captured my attention. I don’t plan to attend her performances but I’m sure my girls would :) The aprons were fun for a while. Artful Aprons……. I reproduced famous works of art and sold them to Art Museum gift shops then eventually expanded into general retails as I met artists along the way. When my manufacturer died (a local cut and sew man), the family closed the business and I had to look at having them made overseas (80,000 at a time) so I decided to move on………

11. Hi Sarah, I think your trousers look like they will be a staple part of your spring wardrobe. Well done on the award.

12. Peggy says:

Hi Sarah ~ Just thought I’d let you know that I’ve given you a shout-out (as my daughter would say) on my Versatile Blogger post! Thanks again for thinking of me. ~ Peggy

13. sheila says:

Thank You… and looking forward to checking out the links. The pants came out great and like you I fit my pants by reducing the leg width inch by inch until it fits just right. Wow, I always enjoy learning something about others… Wowzer, the company overseas would only do a minimum of 80,000… that is insane.

• Thanks for the comments, Shelia! For me, pants are my least favorite to make but maybe I’ll get the hang of it one day! About the aprons………overseas production is a different ballgame.

14. Bethsews says:

I just got caught up on your posts that I have missed since I got busy (at work mostly)…enjoyed them all! And the sewn objects of course. And found some new bloggers to start following, so thanks for that too. I think the cold weather is behind us till fall, can’t wait to see what you do next! Love all the red – we all told you that was your color, and you ran with it!

Ah, thank you so much!

16. dara says:

I enjoy reading your reading your blogs. You are so talented and funny. I live here in Goose Creek SC. Maybe we will meet one day. Keep up the good works. Dara

• Thank you, Dara for the nice comment! The trip to Bluffton was wonderful. We stayed at The Inn at Palmetto Bluffs and then in Charleston for an evening. My daughter is moving to Charleston soon. Are there any good fabric stores you recommend in the area?

17. Pingback: Thanks, Cherry Pix ! | Goodbye Valentino