WORTH IT

Four years ago I bought this skirt at a Worth trunk show. Worth is one of my favorite clothing lines, but the clothes are expensive and I consider my Worth purchases to be very  special.

At the show I tried on a sample several sizes larger than what I usually wear.  After the Worth representative carefully adjusted the skirt to my body with clothespins, I pictured myself wearing this beautiful silk skirt everywhere and bought it.

I   n e v e r   w o r e   t h i s   s k i r t.

When the skirt arrived at my home I eagerly tried it on, but it was so tight through the hips that the zipper wouldn’t budge.

I couldn’t handle this disappointment and put the skirt in the back of my closet where it’s been ever since.

Embarrassed?  Definitely.

Lazy? ……………

Last week I decided to do something about this big waste of money and got out my seam ripper. I started releasing seams in the lining and decided I better try it on before proceeding.

The skirt fit perfectly

manufacturer’s error

t h e   l i n i n g   h a d    b e e n   s e w n   i n c o r r e c t l y.

What to do…

Even though this beautiful long skirt fit me the way I imagined it when I tried on the sample years ago, it didn’t stand a chance after making me so miserable all this time.

I used this old New Look Pattern as my guide.

I really wanted a lined skirt but didn’t want to disturb the pretty border, so I lined two of the panels and left the front panel unlined. This worked well giving the skirt enough weight to hang properly and feel substantial.

Remaking the Worth skirt was a positive move. I hardly ever wear long skirts these days and the new style is not only more versatile but will now be a great transitional piece of clothing.

It was definitely W O R T H remaking!

This entry was posted in New Look Sewing Patterns, sewing blog, skirt pattern, Worth Clothing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to WORTH IT

1. Carol says:

Great job! I do love that skirt and the paisley design.

Oooh, I love it. Beautiful fabric. Definite w o r t h the effort!

3. JoanneM says:

Repurposing is so………worthwhile. :)

• Thanks for the comment, Joanne. I love to repurpose, remake and refashion! There is something so wonderful about bringing the fabric, sentiment and financial investment to a special level that wasn’t there with the initial purchase. I have a friend who is having her wedding dress made into a Christening gown! I feel so strongly about giving new life to old clothes, that I just started contributing to the Refashionista blog.

4. Nicole says:

It is beautiful! I love it and good for you to have the courage to cut into it!

5. AllisonC says:

Good for you, the remake looks great, the fabric is really beautiful and definitely deserves to see the outside of your closet.

6. Thanks for the comment, Allison – I’m happy to finally be wearing the skirt!

I love the one of a kind-ness of your repurposing. Gorgeous work, but that’s what you do!

8. This turned out so beautiful!!!!

9. Caroline Lazzara says:

Great re-do!! I found your blog yesterday after seeing your posts on Pinterest. You have inspired me to get sewing again and possible re-make several things in my closet! Thank you!!

• Thanks for writing, Caroline! I am so happy to be sewing again. You left a comment asking about the ruffled blouse pattern. The top does not have a zipper, but I’m thinking about putting a short one in the next time I make it. It’s not necessary but I think it would make for a better blouse.

10. Heather says:

I really love Paisley, it looks great. How many clothing items have you sewn on this challenge? Is it less than you would have bought? I am hovering over joining you and seeing if I can manage with no purchased clothes for a year. I need a challenge and this one could be it.

• Hi Heather,
      Thanks for your comments! I’ve made or remade approximate 30 garments since August 31. I think it’s more than I would have normally bought in 5 1/2 months. The nice thing is – instead of searching for something to wear and coming up short, I’m always working on what I want to be wearing. Saving money is wonderful too.
      Please join me on this challenge – I think February would be a great time to start!

11. Valerie says:

What a lovely lovely lovely skirt and a great save.

12. Bethsews says:

Yep, you are on your game! Love this!

13. I know I have stories of beautiful things put away as they don’t quite turn out how we remember them in the store. Buyers remorse or manufacturer muck up, the result is the same. How lovely you found something you loved and made it work, particularly with such lovely fabric.

• Thank you so much! While I have lots of clothes that were never worn like I hoped they would be, I also have clothes that I loved, wore and just can’t part with even though they are no longer stylish! I’m hoping to remake a few more things soon. :)

14. PendleStitches says:

I have to say that I love your version much more than the original. It’s beautiful.

15. Natasha says:

This reminds me of when I was in design school when the girl next to me was bemoaning the fact that jackets just never seem to come with real pockets anymore. The joy when I pointed out they sew them shut to make them have better hanger appeal and that you were supposed to remove the basting stitches. After unpicking them she pranced around the room declaring that she had pockets! I am surprised though for a garment of that quality that an error like that could get past QC. Guess it just proves price does not necessarily equal quality. I like the remake better because it was put together thoughtfully unlike the original.

• Hi Natasha! The quality of the skirt is very high end minus the stitching glitch but I agree with you in that it would pass QC. I really like the style of the wrap better than the original regardless! Many thanks for writing. :)

16. Jeannine Dropchinski says:

What a smart idea! I was turned on to your website by my daughter who is a fabulous seamstress. I used to sew all the time when my girls were small…now I make the occasional skirt. You are motivating me to pick up sewing again. So difficult to find nice tops that are not too thin in fabric, correct color for my wardrobe and either way to big or too tight. Buying off the rack in tops is tough. I love your taste and style:) Thanks for the ideas!