La Primavera

Dead perennials + leaves in the pool = w i n t e r  in South Carolina;

t h e   p e r f e c t   t i m e   t o   g e t   r e a d y   f o r    s p r i n g !

I think it’s safe to say that over the last 5 months I have memorized the online pattern stores of Vogue, McCalls, Butterick and Simplicity, so when I saw this very cute dress on LaRoque’s Facebook page, I knew where to go. This Simplicity pattern with its Lily Pulitzer-Tory Burch similarities was all it took for me to pull this Amy Butler fabric out of my stash and get busy.

Here she is, my first Spring dress just waiting for the weather to warm up.

My original plan was to give this pattern a test run with the polka dots making an easy beach tunic, but as soon as I sewed the shoulder and side seams I knew this fabric needed lining to hang properly which resulted a full-fledged dress! I’m quite intimate with this pattern now after spending many more additional hours than I anticipated, but I can’t wait to wear the dress, and I can’t wait to sew this pattern again.

Until soon!

This entry was posted in Amy Butler, clothing designers, sewing blog, Simplicity Patterns, Spring Clothes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to La Primavera

1. Louella says:

Such an enticingly lovely top! Very nice merge of fabric and style.

Oh, I love this look- I’m adding Cynthia Rowley to my Lisette shrine. This SC weatehr is killing me- 29 in the morning mid-60’s by the afternoon- how does one dress?

Oh, this is adorable! Very, very cute! We’re are like minded…our winter has been so non-existent I’ve been sewing a spring blouse. The fabric is so cute and great to work with I may make a skirt from it, as well.

This is gorgeous and it does scream spring! You have more restraint than I do because I would want to wear that now. Probably the reason I don’t sew out of season. I can’t wait to see your next version.

5. Brenda says:

Cute, cute, cute…

6. Lakaribane says:

Lovely color! I always loved this pattern.

• Thank you! Being new to the blogging world, I thought I had subscribed to your blog a long time ago only to realize yesterday that I had not. I’m officially subscribed now and look forward to keeping up with your creations :)

7. Claire Tharp says:

Your dress is gorgeous! Now I must add this to my pattern mania.

8. carol says:

Fantastic dress! Love the color.

9. Katy says:

I stumbled on your blog via The Sew Weekly and love the garments you’re creating. Very inspiring!

10. Thanks for writing, Katy! I joined The Sew Weekly this month but I’m not sure I understand how to use it effectively. Would love to know any tips your may have.

11. Meg says:

Very nice! I’ve made this pattern several times now and was thinking of getting it out again to make a new summer tunic for the beach club.

12. Thank you, Meg! I just looked at two of the cute tunics posted on your Tumblr page – great tops.
    I like this pattern so much I’m already in the process of sewing it again!

13. Pingback: Lots of Love | Goodbye Valentino

14. Libby Paul says:

I am ready to invest in your online boutique!

15. Suzi/FlFiFiLarue says:

Alright…I just looked at your other “Lilly Pulitizer” inspired..or so I think…dress and then I check this one out. Just too cute! I really have to pull this pattern out again! Unfortunately I have to put a waist on mine….it will look like a maternity dress when it hangs from “The Girls”. And even though it has been 28yrs since having my last son..that look still “haunts” me…lolol…not a cute look at 57! lol
    The fabric choice is just spot on! I am jealous! I am so “fabric-challenged” here where I live. Thankfully there is a Calico Corners where I hang out….lol..but “OH HAPPY DAY..” we are getting a JoAnns in 2months!
    Thank you for sharing your sewing adventures and will be checking in to see what else you are up to.

• This dress was actually inspired by Annabelle LaRoque, a SC designer who is doing quite well. I bought the pattern after seeing her dress that should be at the bottom of my post. I’ve also found several good online sources for pattern shopping and many send samples – of course there is nothing like having a go to place not to far away. Thanks so much for the comment!

16. Joen says:

I love this pattern! I have plans to make another tunic for spring myself!