The Latest

One top costs $150.00 and the other is $29.99.

Why is that?

In March of 2011 I bought the blue and white top at J. McLaughlin in Charleston, SC. I thought $150.00 was expensive for a spandex top, but the sales clerk explained to me it was made of fine French swimsuit fabric, and somehow I justified my purchase.                  I love the top and have worn it repeatedly since I bought it.

This McCall’s pattern reminded me of my J McLaughlin top, and I anticipated replicating it. I bought fine Korean swimsuit fabric – seriously, it is identical in weight and quality … but in the end, I didn’t have the skills to alter the pattern and duplicate the style. Removing the front gathers from the pattern threw off the scale, and I quickly realized I could sew it as is or have a mess.

I like it, it fits and I’ll wear it, but it’s not what I thought it would be.

Disappointed at first, I learned something today and I’m applying the following rule to my sewing projects:

Be inspired by, but do not try to duplicate ready to wear.  Originality is far better than copying…. I wonder how many patterns were drafted before reaching a conclusion on this J McLaughlin top?

No wonder it costs $150.00!

From now on I’ll learn from others and appreciate my own ideas.

Don’t we sew to express ourselves anyway?

This entry was posted in McCall's Sewing Pattern, sewing blog, sewing blogs, sewing patterns, Sewing Tops, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to The Latest

If you don’t like all that ruching on the sides (I happen to) you might try pleating the front pattern piece and cut those front pieces as more of a flat piece than one with gathers. I don’t have that pattern to have a look but it sounds like it might be a fix…I love it as it…pretty darn good knock-off if you ask me!

• Thank you, Dorcas! I like the top and was frustrated by my own limitations – expecting to be an expert after a multi-year hiatus :) I have a feeling I’ll get a lot of wear of it beginning around March and plan to wear it with brown pants, brown skirt and later with white pants. I’ll was unable to post a modeling pic yesterday but will soon.

2. Ann says:

I think it looks really nice! I bet you’ll end up wearing it just as much as the $150 one.

• Thanks for writing, Ann! I’m sure I’ll wear it – I know the issue was more about the expectations I had of myself rather than the top itself, but I’m over it today.
      What a great blog you have!

3. Peggy says:

I like your new top–surplice bodices are so flattering! I think you have developed the right attitude re duplicating RTW. Have you tried Jalie patterns? I love them. You might like Jalie 2910 (faux wrap top) which is similar to your RTW version (except for the shawl neckline). And, true confession: I so loved your last dress that I purchased the OOP pattern this afternoon from the McCall’s website!

• Thanks for writing, Peggy and thanks for the Jalie tip! I just checked it out and plan to order it. The McCall’s is a great pattern but the bodice and length are very short – can’t wait to see your dress!

Imlove them both, but for different reasons- I agree that you should follow your own muse- it has always taken your work somewhere lovely.

5. Thank you and it’s what I plan to do! One exception – I have a pair of pants that I love and I WILL figure out how to copy them……..

So true! I’ve been inspired to try doing that myself at various times, with very mixed success!
    Thank you so much for your comment too…

7. Meg, a.k.a. Lindsay T says:

Oh, I wouldn’t give up just yet on duplicating RTW. As your fitting skills and pattern knowledge increase you’ll be able to replicate your favorite pieces with ease. Check out here a J. McLaughlin silk quilted vest I recently duplicated: lindsaytsews.tumblr.com

• Thanks for your encouraging comments, Meg – your silk quilted vest is super! Frankly, all of the clothes on your tumblr page are beautiful. I may come around to replicating RTW later, but for now I have several patterns I’m happy to try just as they are, and that seems to be where I belong at this point.

8. Chris says:

If the expesive top ever wears out, you could take it apart & use it for a pattern. Until then, they’re both great tops!

9. Heather says:

I am really enjoying your blog – thank-you. I haven’t sewed regularly for years either, my skills are rusty but improving. It is really interesting to see you tackling different things, it is giving me confidence never mind you! I really like both tops and wouldn’t have been sure which one you had made, which is rare sewers can usually tell.

10. Claire Tharp says:

I would not have thought to make a top out of swimsuit fabric! What a good idea….I really like both of your tops.

11. Nat says:

I love it, I wouldnt have been able to tell which was the bought one.
    I really really enjoy your blog, you make me want to sew more and buy less :)
    When your year is up do you think you will return to buying all your clothes,or will you settle on a happy compromise ?

12. JoanneM says:

Don’t be so hard on yourself!!!!
    Your rendition is just as superior as the $200 job.
    You are getting hooked…….. :)

13. Valerie says:

Don’t give up o RTW knock offs just yet. I thought your top was the store bought one and I was going to suggest pinching out the pleats too. Why not give it one more go?

14. Thank you, Valerie and I hope you are safely back in Australia!
    I wore the top the day after I made it and it worked very well as it. I doubt I’ll make it again but I will eventually try RTW knock offs. Good to hear from you!

15. Pingback: Style Arc Straight Up | Goodbye Valentino

16. gwen says:

“Be inspired by, but do not try to duplicate ready to wear. Originality is far better than copying….”

Amen, sister!

And… your top looks great

17. Jessica says:

I’ve been reading your blog this evening–and am now SO inspired. I just received a big bundle of patterns today from the McCall’s/Vogue sale, including V8790, which looks similar to the tops above. Thanks for sharing your passion for clothes, fashion, sewing and style. You look marvelous, and your clothes do too!

• Thank you so much for this nice comment, Jessica! I was a little rusty when I started sewing clothes again last August, but found through practice, sewing cute clothes is not the impossible task I imagined! Many thanks for writing :)