Ebony and Ivory

Some people are influenced by what they read.

Some people are influenced by what they hear.

And some people are influenced by what they see.

Since I started, over four months ago, sewing my clothes instead of buying my clothes for a year, I’ve become absolutely obsessed about my wardrobe. Even though I spent a fortune on clothes in the past, I never had an obsession about them.

During the last four and a half months I have been abnormally aware of my visual surroundings, but only recently have I realized their impact on my life.

While visiting NY in December, I lingered around the Bergdorf Goodman windows for nearly 30 minutes, spellbound by the intricate details of the spectacular displays.
The next morning I walked out of Mood Fabrics with this fabric though I was unaware of what was going on.

What happens to a woman who gives up RTW in exchange for sewing her wardrobe for a year? I hope, at least in my case that she lives more creatively and maybe that’s what I’m doing.

As I was searching for a pattern to showcase this fabric, I decided to have some fun with this lively knit and selected this McCall’s pattern. It was easy to construct and the dress came together quickly.

I love the dress, but what I really love is the artistry of the world that brings such pleasure and creative energy to my life!

Have a great weekend!

This entry was posted in Easy Sewing, Mood Fabrics, sewing, sewing blog, sewing patterns, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Ebony and Ivory

You picked just the right pattern to showcase this awesome fabric! You did a great job and you can tell that you are really starting to enjoy the creative process that sewing provides.

• Thank you, Carolyn. I’ve always loved fabric and made quilts at one time, but making clothes is bringing me unexpected pleasure!

• Carolyn,
      I’m having a difficult time leaving a comment on your website but I want to tell you how beautiful your collection is. It’s not starting to look like a collection, it IS a collection! I look forward to seeing the additional pieces.

Thats wonderful- and as always the joy is having something that no one else has that fits you to a t. Enjoy!

3. Billy says:

Beautiful as always

4. That looks great. The simple pattern is perfect for showcasing that special fabric. What a fun dress.

5. MissMuslin says:

Stunning dress.
    I agree.
    As your skills become more attuned, as you begin the sewing journey at home, your senses are heightened. I also find myself staring at fit issues with what others are wearing. I am sure my lack of eye contact while I am talking to someone, as I deconstruct their jacket in my mind, causes them some concern…. :)

• That’s what I was trying to say….. my visual senses are heightened – thank you! Many thanks for the dress compliment too. Speaking of dresses, I love the dresses you’ve made that are on your website – v e r y n i c e !

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the compliment! At this stage I’m just trying to keep what I’ve got…however, having said that, even if given the chance I would never go back.

I found your post so very inspirational and the dress is simply stunning! What a great pairing of show stopping fabric with a simple, classic design. I’m so happy you are enjoying the creativity process. It has been an integral part of my life for as long as I can remember. If I stray from sewing it’s only because some other pursuit like painting has stolen me away. I’ve even been lucky enough to find work that allows me to sit and write all day. In fact, I think I will write a book about sewing addiction; its pitfalls and rewards. Thank you for being my muse! I may be asking if I can quote you!

Have a great week,
    Dorcas
    (Art Attack)

7. Brenda says:

You have showcased your fabric perfectly. Once again…fantastic job!

8. Thank you, Brenda. It was a very fun project!

9. Sophia says:

Absolutely beautiful. This was truly the perfect pattern to show off such a print. Just think, if you hadn’t been subconsciously influenced by the window displaces you may have overlooked this fabric.

You hit the nail on the head about one of the best parts of sewing. Being able to create a look that’s in my head has been amazing for my creativity. In the past, I was at the mercy of the stores and if they didn’t have what I was looking for or if it wasn’t made for my body type, I just had to settle for second best. Sewing frees you from those constraints.

Good job! I look forward to seeing what’s up next for you.

10. Bethsews says:

I love this! Really looks sharp on you. I think your heightened senses are bringing you a better wardrobe!

• Thanks, Beth – I was intimidated by the fabric for a day or two and then decided to go for it! Before Christmas a friend told me that since I since I gave up shopping for a year and started sewing – my clothes are the cutest they have ever been. Maybe they are and maybe they aren’t but, I believe that results are evident when we give serious attention to something. (and my wardrobe needed serious attention )

11. Thanks, Beth – I was intimidated by the fabric for a day or two and then decided to go for it! Before Christmas a friend told me that since I since I gave up shopping for a year and started sewing – my clothes are the cutest they have ever been. Maybe they are and maybe they aren’t but, I believe that results are evident when we give serious attention to something. (and my wardrobe needed serious attention :) )

12. Nicole says:

Your dress is beautiful! I have been so inspired by reading your blog the past few months! (I have the stash to prove it). Back in December, I treated myself to a made-by-me red silk skirt after reading about yours. I may just have to copy this one as well. Keep up the fabulous work!

13. Beautiful dress. Love the fabric.. Sewing just opens up a brand new wardrobe world, doesnt it? Happy sewing.

14. Pingback: Award Inspiring | CherryPix : SewingPix