Robe de Soirée

It has been eighteen days since my last post! Making an evening gown consumed every precious free moment I’ve had – physically, intellectually and emotionally. The ball is in five days and the dress is finished!

Up until making this gown I have really enjoyed sewing again, but I put such pressure on myself to make a dress that will match up to the others (including the ones I bought for my daughters) the experience has been stressful, but I persevered.

Other than several dyslexic incidents brought about from working on a one-shoulder dress, this Butterick pattern was easy enough and presented no real issues aside from dealing with my own inadequacies. What I really want to do is take a sewing course to improve my technique.

I’ll post a picture in “full dress and makeup” in a few days, but for now I wanted to share my most recent wardrobe addition.  Several of Annebelle LaRoque’s one shoulder dresses inspired my pattern choice, and sequins seem to be dominating party dresses this fall!  I spent $48 on fabric, lining and notions,  and the pattern was in my stash. Many thanks to everyone for sharing your suggestions with me – I’m really glad I didn’t pursue my original idea!

S t r e s s f u l  b u t   s u c c e s s f u l !                                                                                             Or rather – stressful but successful enough – I can live with that.

Gallery | This entry was posted in clothes, clothing designers, Evening Gown, Fabric, fashion, sewing, sewing patterns, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Robe de Soirée

What a lovely dress you’ve made! I’m sure that you will have a wonderful evening wearing this very beautiful gown!

2. Lakaribane says:

Wow, double wow! As they say here “ou abiye pou tout kòb ou!” (you dressed for all your money’s worth) ie you look fantastic!

And expensive, LOL!

The neckline is a masterpiece of fit, congratulations!!! Great color on you and very elegant deployment of shine, LOL!

I think you have a bit of static cling going on on the leg. I’m always surprised by this phenomenon myself. I have this cute gored skirt in poly, had the bright idea to use something called dacron (rayon?) for the lining and it just give me fits.

Now I understand your previous post better…

3. Doobee says:

Stunning – the fit is just like a second skin on you. Can’t wait to see a picture at the ball. Do enjoy yourself and kick up your heels after this sewing episode.

Well you certainly chose the right dress, you look amazing in this. Great work!

5. Carol says:

You did a wonderful job. The dress looks fantastic on you. Have fun at the ball.

6. Valerie says:

Beautiful dress. It’s a winner.

7. Bethsews says:

Wow that is really great – you should be so proud of yourself! I love the color, the fit, the shiny – great job!

• Thanks, Beth! Good ole’ Mary Jo’s has outfitted me again :) I doubt I would have selected a sequined fabric until I visited Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus where every other dress was covered with sequins! At Mary Jo’s, several of the RTW fabrics were proudly displayed in the bridal section so I thought why not!

8. Elaine says:

As others have said, WOW! I look forward to seeing the photos from the soirée. Glad you were sewing like crazy and not retiring from the blogsphere. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

9. MST says:

Very nice indeed — you look great! My daughter wants a one shouldered wedding gown and is undergoing sticker shock after going to muliple bridal salons. I will keep this pattern in mind!

10. I have seen some beautiful one shouldered wedding gowns and they don’t look very complicated. What an exciting time for you and your daughter! Good luck finding the perfect gown or pattern and I’d love to see your final product!

11. Jan Douglas Hunsberger says:

Your sewing is so inspiring. I’m trying to find a pattern for a classic (man-tailored) women’s shirt, complete with yolk, sleeve plackets, etc. Have you made such a thing? Or, any ideas for such a pattern?

I joined your blog following and am looking forward to more inspiration from you.

Thanks so much

Jan

• Hi Jan,
      Thank you so much for your nice comment. You might have noticed that I’ve made zero classic shirts! However I recently ordered this Vogue pattern. I’ve read great reviews about the pattern and it is fitted especially through the back.
      You may also want to visit Off the Cuff – a wonderful blog about shirtmaking. Good luck! :)

12. Carole says:

Hi, very nice job…I am about to make this dress for a Tango Performance and was wondering what kind of fabric you used and do you find the dress comfortable?

• Many thanks for writing, Carole! The dress is comfortable and was easy to make. If I made it again, I would use boning in the seam allowances, especially if I was dancing! Good luck :)

13. Carole says:

cool, I actually thought of that! Thanks for replying!